PuppyFiles.us - Updates & Discussion

News, happenings
babbs

#61 Post by babbs »

Puppy Package Manager System - Status/Update

As mentioned two posts above, the code for the program that I've been hacking to use for the online Puppy Package Manager System (PPMS) is overly complex (much more so than needed).

It saddens me to say that I have decided to abandon this 'hacking' effort in favor of starting from scratch.
The "Olate Download" ( http://www.olate.co.uk/products/od/ ) code will be used as an example and will be given credit for the idea. I will continue to use the language packages provided so as to not waste the effort of those who have already contributed.

I will begin this 'from-scratch' coding on Tuesday, 28 February 2006.

Planned features: (OD = Olate Download)
- Guest browsing and searching of repository (OD has this feature)
- User groups for registered "Members","Developers", "Moderators", and "Administrators" (OD only manages an administrators user group)
- Registration from the web to join the "Members" user group (OD does not have this feature)
- Require registration for posting comments and rating packages (OD does not have this feature)
- Structured mirroring capabilities (OD does not have this feature)
- Multiple storage locations for uploaded packages (mirroring) (OD does not have this feature)
- Ability to add mirror sites with "bring up to date" action (OD does not have this feature)
- Upload from local or web ("Upload from web" in OD only registers web location, but does not actually store a copy locally.)
- Tiered administrative permissions with some permissions delegated to developers and moderators (OD does not have this feature)
- Portablility with install script and ability for theme development (OD has this feature)
- Internationalization (OD has this feature)
- Automated RSS updating (OD features do not offer the options I desire)
- Customized e-mail notification of uploads and changes (OD does not have this feature)
- A machine readable index of packages for use in automated updates (OD does not have this feature)
- Unlimited number of categories and sub-categories (OD has this feature)

Internationalization: (Please contact me if you would like to contribute an additional language) Did I miss any requirements? If so, please let me know. :)

I will continue to post updates as they are available.
Babbs
Last edited by babbs on Tue 28 Feb 2006, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.

babbs

#62 Post by babbs »

PuppyFiles.us FTP Upload Directory - Update

Due to the number of automated scans for anonymous ftp servers where files are uploaded and a directory is created, I've had to create a cron job to clean the anonymous upload ("incoming") directory routinely.

The following items are now automatically deleted every 15 minutes:

- All directories that begin with a 06 (zero six)
- All files that end with .asp (dot asp)
- All files that end with .ptf (dot ptf)

If you need to post any of the above, just put them in a sub-directory.

babbs

#63 Post by babbs »

I had asked for some information previously provided to me... That person PMed me with it...

Thanks!