How Do You Run Songbird in Puppy 431?

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
mulluysavage

How Do You Run Songbird in Puppy 431?

#1 Post by mulluysavage »

I really like Songbird. But I installed the latest and an older version and nothing happens when I click on the .bin icon. What to do?

rjbrewer

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

A puplet that includes songbird?

http://crypt.altervista.org/puppy_cielo_4_3.htm

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

jemimah

#3 Post by jemimah »

You might like to try Goggles if you're just looking for a fairly full featured iTunes clone.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=406391

I think Lucid Puppy also has a songbird package.

aragon

Re: How Do You Run Songbird in Puppy 431?

#4 Post by aragon »

mulluysavage wrote:I really like Songbird. But I installed the latest and an older version and nothing happens when I click on the .bin icon. What to do?
Installing songbird in puppy is not allways that simple, missing libs...

You might run the app form within a terminal to get an errormessage.

But better follow jemimahs tip: use googles or another audioplayer, afaik songbird is discontinuing linux-support.

Aragon

TheAsterisk!

#5 Post by TheAsterisk! »

If you're set on Songbird, and don't want to try the alternatives suggested, for whatever reason, this thread by aragon has an SFS for Songbird 1.3a that I've used before in Puppy 412, 42x and 43x. It works well enough, even though it's not the latest version. (In my experience, trying to use the latest Songbird version on Puppy has required updating tons of dependencies, and I didn't think it was worth the effort.)

Songbird (as aragon said above) has dropped or will drop Linux support, but Nightingale is planned to eventually take its place.
I also heard somewhere that brave souls can still compile Songbird from source, though there aren't going to be new ready-made packages anymore, but I don't know if that's true.

EDIT: After trying out Goggles Music Manager, I now recommend that over Songbird, too.

mulluysavage

#6 Post by mulluysavage »

TheAsterisk! wrote:If you're set on Songbird, and don't want to try the alternatives suggested, for whatever reason, this thread by aragon has an SFS for Songbird 1.3a that I've used before in Puppy 412, 42x and 43x. It works well enough, even though it's not the latest version. (In my experience, trying to use the latest Songbird version on Puppy has required updating tons of dependencies, and I didn't think it was worth the effort.)

Songbird (as aragon said above) has dropped or will drop Linux support, but Nightingale is planned to eventually take its place.
I also heard somewhere that brave souls can still compile Songbird from source, though there aren't going to be new ready-made packages anymore, but I don't know if that's true.

EDIT: After trying out Goggles Music Manager, I now recommend that over Songbird, too.
I'm liking Cielo. It's an old version, and I can't use the add-ons I like, but it does basically what I want.

I use Songbird because I like to do sophisticated things with smart playlists like this:

http://www.andybudd.com/archives/2005/0 ... /index.php

which have kept my listening very fresh, even on a 4BG ipod! Everyone else complains that they need new music or a bigger ipod, but this totally solves that for me by re-mixing my tunes based on ratings, last played, and genres.

I haven't found a player that has this kind of capability besides songbird.

DMcCunney

Re: How Do You Run Songbird in Puppy 431?

#7 Post by DMcCunney »

aragon wrote:afaik songbird is discontinuing linux-support.
As far as I can tell, they still support it and don't plan to stop. But the recommended system to run it on may be a challenge:

* glibc 2.3.4 or later
* XOrg 1.0 or later
* gtk+2.10 or later
* fontconfig (also known as xft)
* libstdc++6
* 1.5 GHz Pentium 4 or comparable
* At least 512 MB of physical RAM
* At least 100 MB of available space on your hard drive
* 16 bit sound card (Recommended: 32-bit Sound Card)
* Speakers or headphones

There are a fair number of Puppy systems with a lot less than 512MB RAM and a 1.5ghzCPU, even if the software dependencies are in place.
______
Dennis

Pelo

Songbird still alive

#8 Post by Pelo »

Nightingale in 2016 is available for Linux, for windows, but for Puppy I don't know. Songbird is stille available and does his Job. No Postcast, but at home, you can use music web sites without a Puppy appli.
Ask Medor, our french assistant, for Nightingale Puppy version.
I will try 'SongBird' with our french 'Toutou 4.3.6' , an improved version of Puppy 4.3.1 (wireless and some multimedia applications as Xhippo included by default)
Attachments
rossignol.jpg
'Rossignol' in France with Windows 7
(64.5 KiB) Downloaded 223 times