Official Crustacean

Puppy 5.1 to 6

#1 Post by Lobster »

In the next few days Puppy 5 will be with us

Lucid Puppy
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LucidPuppy
Quirky Puppy - now available
Wary Puppy
- 3 for the price of Uno (still free) :)
Here is the wiki entry for someone to improve 8)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy5

What next?
We really will have quite a kennel of possibilities
from Puppeee to 64bit, from 2.x series updated to Slaxer
and even more when Ubuntu advocates realize Puppy is quicker
tighter and mightier - straight out of the USB keydrive

We may be small
but we are the dog

Woof Woof

Puppys goals have been largely achieved
http://puppylinux.com/about.htm

I would like to concentrate on 2
as areas where we can still innovate and grow

# Extremely friendly for Linux newbies.
# Will just work, no hassles.

These two are about usability
and I feel Micks (01micko) efforts with Quickpet
in Lucid illustrate this well
I can see this developing well into 5.1
and hopefully beyond

Both my sisters are forced into using Puppy
but find it awkward and geeky.
They would rather be using Windows.

How can we make it more usable
for our demanding potential end users?

Friendly for noobs, just works

Those are a great way forward. :)
Last edited by Lobster on Wed 05 May 2010, 06:30, edited 4 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

I support that. :)

How to achieve it is not that easy I guess.

Every newbie having a unique combination of hardware and software wishes makes it demanding.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have asked the following question several times, but have yet to receive a definitive answer. Is Quirky meant to be the general-purpose replacement for Puppy 4.3.1? Or is it a specialized, reduced-driver release? What are we going to recommend to newcomers?

WhoDo

#4 Post by WhoDo »

rcrsn51 wrote:I have asked the following question several times, but have yet to receive a definitive answer. Is Quirky meant to be the general-purpose replacement for Puppy 4.3.1? Or is it a specialized, reduced-driver release? What are we going to recommend to newcomers?
NOT Quirky ... see Barry's Quirky page for more information.

Quirky is experimental. Wary is Quirky built differently. Lucid is compatible with the latest Ubuntu packages and is not mainstream either ... yet.

So, if you want to recommend something safe to "newcomers" then you'll have to stick with 4.3.1, wait for 4.4 or take the punt that they can handle Lucid. JMHO.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

So what will Quirky 1.0 be missing that keeps it from being the successor to Puppy 4.3.1? A full set of drivers? Pretty wallpaper?

jemimah

#6 Post by jemimah »

I think the difference is that Barry doesn't intend to try to support it beyond working on stuff he personally finds interesting.

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

I agree that is how it used to be.

But then they decided??? that it would be cool to launch three different puppies at same time. Quirky, Wary, and Lupu and this within a week after the launch of Ubuntu 10.04 that came now a few days ago.

So q21 will be renamed Q1 and Lupu114 renamed LP5 ?

But I am bad at reading text. I barely trust myself on this.

Maybe playdays or Micko wrote one or two days ago that it will be launced within one or two or three days so maybe today or tomorrow?

reservation that it is my wishful thinking getting it wrong.

I wrote in Q021 thread that they have to solve the Nvidia thing first or it will be a backlash when many more than me get a black screen

aarf

Re: Puppy 5.1 to 6

#8 Post by aarf »

Lobster wrote:
Both my sisters are forced into using Puppy
but find it awkward and geeky.
They would rather be using Windows.

How can we make it more usable
for our demanding potential end users?
perhaps you can persuade them to peee :lol:
more girl oriented themes. even your favourite Barbie gets a mention. check'em out and perhaps incorporate some into the main stream pups.
Attachments
peee2.jpg
(41.96 KiB) Downloaded 5530 times
peee.jpg
(35.01 KiB) Downloaded 5518 times

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Pinky Power rules. :)

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

So the question remains unanswered. What specific functionality will be missing from Quirky 1.0 that would prevent it from being Puppy 5.0?

yorkiesnorkie

#11 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

rcrsn51 wrote:I have asked the following question several times, but have yet to receive a definitive answer. Is Quirky meant to be the general-purpose replacement for Puppy 4.3.1? Or is it a specialized, reduced-driver release? What are we going to recommend to newcomers?
No, it's an experiment built on Woof. I think we'll have to stick with 4.3.1 as the main release to recommend to noobs.

We'll have to wait and see what is in Quirky I guess, should be interesting.

y.
[url]http://www.busygamemaster.com[/url]

KusaNoKaito

#12 Post by KusaNoKaito »

When puppy 5.1 comes out will there be a safe way to upgrade without completely re-installing?

In a few upgrades I have done I noticed that they can corrupt certain apps.

DaveS

#13 Post by DaveS »

Its a funny one this. 4.3.2 seems to have faded away. Same with Dpup. 4.4 seems inactive, at least publicly, and BK seems to be a bit left field with Quirky. So in the real world, 4.3.1 is it.............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jemimah

#14 Post by jemimah »

I think 4.4 is still going, as Technosaurus has time.

Fluppy is coming as soon as Puppeee gets released, which should be in the next month or so.

Fluppy will be aimed at netbooks and newer laptops; it will be built using Puppeee as a base. It may be able to run on older machines.

Puppeee is a little fatter than 4.3.1 without including heavyweight software. It has more utilities, more window managers, more file managers to choose from. The smallest netbook has 512MB ram, so I don't have to be quite so conservative with size. It'll still be under 150MB with the full kernel.

I'm considering using Quirky as the base for Puppeee/Fluppy 5. It's either that or the upcoming EB4. I think using Quirky would be a lot easier for me, but it would miss Debian package compatibility.

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

yorkiesnorkie wrote:We'll have to wait and see what is in Quirky I guess, should be interesting.
Quirky has been around through 20 beta versions with considerable feedback from the community. By now, we have a pretty good idea what's in it. So the original question remains unanswered.

jemimah

#16 Post by jemimah »

I believe the only really specific functionality that is missing is packages. But that's a chicken and egg problem, since the users create most of them.

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

jemimah wrote:I believe the only really specific functionality that is missing is packages. But that's a chicken and egg problem, since the users create most of them.
So are you saying that Quirky 1.0 will effectively be Puppy 5.0?

James C

#18 Post by James C »

From Barry K's own Quirky page.......

http://bkhome.org/quirky/index.html

Quote:

Quirky is a Linux distribution and is in the "Puppy Linux family", also known as a "puplet". However, Quirky is not a mainline Puppy release -- it is a distinct distro in its own right.

Quirky is built with the Woof build system, as is Puppy 4.3.x and later official puppies. Quirky is my plaything, an avenue for me to try out some quirky ideas -- hence the name "Quirky".

WhoDo

#19 Post by WhoDo »

rcrsn51 wrote:
jemimah wrote:I believe the only really specific functionality that is missing is packages. But that's a chicken and egg problem, since the users create most of them.
So are you saying that Quirky 1.0 will effectively be Puppy 5.0?
NO! Puppy 5.0 will be mainstream but upmarket in terms of the latest kernel, up-to-date drivers for newer machinery etc. That always seems to come at a price for legacy hardware so 4.x will stick around as the mainstream for a while yet.

Quirky builds as much as possible into the kernel - Barry's aim was the WHOLE distro if possible. I don't know what the state of play is with that ambition as I don't follow Quirky development on Barry's blog. IT IS EXPERIMENTAL and so of little interest to me beyond curiosity.

Puppy 5.0 mainstream will be any Woof build that intends to supply all of the above plus binary compatibility with one of the major distro's for repository access. Lupu is the first serious attempt, although Dpup was pretty good and may still have a life. Guy (gposil) seems to be fairly quiet of late.

The differences with Quirky have yet to surface in terms of functionality (no packages), but in terms of intent there is no difference. It's all in the ingredients and the baking. You can expect Quirky to break in some circumstances. I say again IT IS EXPERIMENTAL! :roll:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

So the original question remains unanswered.