How to boot notebook from Sandisk cruzer USB drive?

Booting, installing, newbie
4x1ks

How to boot notebook from Sandisk cruzer USB drive?

#1 Post by 4x1ks »

someone said I should use the puppy USB wizard for detailed instructions on how to get my notebook to boot off my Sandisk cruzer micro 512mb USB drive....I don't know where to find the "wizard" also, I loaded the appropriate files from my puppy live cd onto my USB drive. This doesn't make the USB drive bootable..I get an error upon startup.

So, any geniuses have a foolproof way of get the Sandisk to work smoothly?

Mark

dvw86

#2 Post by dvw86 »

Personally I cheat. I use DSL to make it bootable, and then install Puppy over the top of it.

4x1ks

Additional info

#3 Post by 4x1ks »

The boot up goes like this:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082) copyright (c) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
For Realtek RTL 8139 (x)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller...

Client Mac Address 00 03.....Guid....

PXE-E53: No Boot Filename Received
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device

that's it..

BTW, how do you put DSL on top of Puppy?

dvw86

#4 Post by dvw86 »

Boot up DSL and choose to install DSL to USB drive. Follow the directions. When you are done you should have a bootable USB pen drive with DSL on it. Next boot Puppy from CD. Choose the USB install wizard from the start menu. Follow the directions. When you are done you should have a bootable USB pen drive with Puppy on it.

Basically I find DSL's implementation of syslinux to be more reliable than Puppy's.

shankargopal

#5 Post by shankargopal »

But it doesn't seem clear if 41ks / Mark has actually tried the Puppy syslinux first (before going for DSL's). Puppy's syslinux worked fine for me.

The wizard, Mark, is located under the Setup menu in the Puppy Start menu. You'll see "Install Puppy to USB drive." Ninety percent, this should fix your problem.

If you can't get the Sandisk to boot directly (which by the way is not entirely uncommon - many pen drives will only boot on some computers, many computers will only boot some drives), then get the WakePup floppy image from the forum (do a search for it) and make a floppy boot disk from it. That should do it.