1.0.2 rc1: disappearing Start button and task bar

Please post any bugs you have found
Flash
Official Dog Handler

1.0.2 rc1: disappearing Start button and task bar

#1 Post by Flash »

When I boot Puppy 1.0.2 rc1, there is a Start button and task bar until I move the mouse, then they disappear, apparently for good. What's up with that?

The mouse works OK. I can click on the Mozilla icon for instance (that's why I'm able to write this.)

When the desktop first appears, the mouse, or cursor, or arrow, whatever you call it, is located at the extreme bottom left corner of the screen.

Edit:

Problem solved. I found that left-clicking on the desktop causes a menu to appear. Hovering the mouse over "modules" in this menu brings up yet another menu, with "Task Bar" in it. I clicked on "Task Bar" and my Start button reappeared! Good job Barry!

P.S. The problem seems to have gone away by itself. The last several times I booted, the task bar and Start button stayed after I moved the mouse.
Last edited by Flash on Thu 12 May 2005, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Yes, there seems to be a bug, either in the X server or Fvwm95, that if the mouse pointer is moved in a certain way, like diagonally left-down when Fvwm95 first starts, the taskbar disappears!

If you left-click, there is a menu option "Restart" -- that will restart the task bar.

I plan to upgrade to a later version of Xvesa server soon, see if that fixes it.

...perhaps this should be in the Wiki!