Quirky 1.0 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
linux28

#41 Post by linux28 »

Hello, everybody, is there xfce window manager?

smellyman

#42 Post by smellyman »

nubc wrote:Seamonkey 1.1.18??? If Quirky is an experimental version, why are we working with an old version of Seamonkey? So then, is Quirky gonna be like Debian Lenny (stable)? Wouldn't it be better, more progressive to work on integrating Seamonkey 2.x?
I believe Barry has stated that the newest seamonkey is just way to buggy.

nooby

#43 Post by nooby »

Re if one can remove delete erase seamonkey or not?

Edit

I received a PM describing how it should be done. So not sure what those that are skeptical talks about. As I remember it it was about dependencies for certain other progs that made use of same libs.

( thanks gjuhasz for your post below mine )

Some say it is possible and others indicate it is not?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 142#408142
I don't think you can remove Seamonkey, but Firefox will replace it as the default browser.
another that is skeptical.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 326#194326
Some other programs won't work if you remove SeaMonkey.
So my take on this is that I want Barry or some other dev to describe how it can be done safely to the newbie so they have a choice of browser or that Q1 go the Lupu route so seamonkey iis a choice from first minute and not installed from scratch.
Last edited by nooby on Thu 06 May 2010, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

gjuhasz

SM 1.1.18 package preinstalled

#44 Post by gjuhasz »

nooby wrote: ...so they have a choice of browser or that Q1 go the Lupu route so seamonkey iis a choice from first minute and not installed from scratch.
Although Seamonkey 1.1.18 is not the "defaultbrowser", it is preinstalled in Lupu. Invoke it by typing "seamonkey" in a terminal.

gerry

#45 Post by gerry »

Acer Aspire One-

Ran as live USB, created save file. Decided to frugal install, booted, but it obviously did not read the save file.

Frugal installed, was invited to create save file, did so.

Booted again, but still had to enter language etc. Looked for save file, found two- one in Puppy 100 folder, one outside. Deleted the outside file, and all ok since then.

Major problem: my Canon printer usually uses Canon driver downloaded from Kyoto University, but it won't work on Quirky. Having to use Gutenprint equivalent, but black comes out grey with that.

The driver worked on every Puppy that I've tried since 2.17, so I know what it needs in the way of lib files and symlinks- maybe it's getting a bit too old in some other way?

rcrsn51

#46 Post by rcrsn51 »

What model printer do you have? How is it connected? Do you have a link to the source of the driver?

If you print a test page from CUPS, what error messages do you get?

I don't think that the upgrade to CUPS 1.3.11 in Quirky should have caused the driver to fail.
symlinks
Is this a Windows shared printer? Have you run the CUPS Printer Wizard yet? It installs a patch that is required by the smb: protocol.

gerry

#47 Post by gerry »

@rcrsn51-

Link to files is:

deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/debian ./

I used a debian install and the apt-get download-only option to download the files, then used deb2pet to make pets, which I keep handy on a USB stick.

Printer is a Canon i965. Normally it is connected to a windows machine.

Cups error message is "Child process aborted".

I have run the wizard. I do know about the */smb to */smbspool link.

I've used the "Check dependencies of installed packages", and ldd, to check that nothing is missing. I've also put in a symlink called libtiff.so.4 to whatever libtiff is present (libtiff.so.3.8.2 off the top of my head).

Like I said, it has worked on many Puppies, and Debian and U*u*t* NBR.
Unusually, on Quirky it won't even work if I connect the printer locally.

gerry

alec78

SamsungX05 - Intel i810 Driver

#48 Post by alec78 »

Hi all,
Failed again.
No matter what I try I still get the vesa driver instead of the Intel i810 driver.
I typed i810 at the video driver stage, result, vesa driver.
I exited to the prompt and ran the xorgwizard, result, vesa driver.
I edited the xorg.conf and xorg.conf.Intel_r_852MG -----Chip files, replacing "vesa" with "i810" and ran xwin, result, nothing just returned to the prompt.
The i810 driver is in the ----/drivers folder and the libI810XvMC.so.1.0.0 file is in /usr/XR11R7/lib so it should not be a missing file.
It should be possible to con the system by editing the xorg.conf file to get graphics working using the i810 driver. Any suggestions?
The problem is I can not get touchpad tapping working.
Cheers

rcrsn51

#49 Post by rcrsn51 »

@gerry: Without a Debian setup, I can't download those packages. Could you PM me your PET version?

oui

#50 Post by oui »

Hi

I use Quirky as often as I can already a long time as Quirky is a really new distro.

The limit is the choice of packages. The media make us dependent of more software as java or flash plugins or codecs for the other ugly world of the internet.

And peoples are accoutumate to use ways like qemu or vbox or wine to extend her possibilities without to change the basic system they are using. Or skype to stay in contact with her friends and that are the limits actually if there is no depository for tested supplementary packages covering those needs.

The official pet's for Quirky are to find here

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... es-quirky/

but where is the central place for the non-official ones or support about the test with success of usual puppy pet's in quirky to find?

java?
wine?
skype?
qemu?
windows media codecs?
a music sheets editor?

how as experience in that?

salut

SilvioTOO

tryed with italian local (keyboard and settings)

#51 Post by SilvioTOO »

Tryed today Quirky, I'm italian, and on startup chosed my keyboard, locale and time.
Playng xvid double language (italian and english) is impossible to select the first audio track, only english.
The multi protocol chat program start, but when try to connect crash and don't start anymore.
Installation on hd is more difficult than puppy 4.3.1, because don't automatically show where store grub files (ask in an empty text box to put /dev/sda, etc...).
My personal opinion... The desktop theme and icons are orrible! Change it!
Thanks for your hard work, I love it anyway! :D

gerry

#52 Post by gerry »

@rcrsn51- I think I'm on the way to a solution. It may be as simple as I've got my pets mixed up.

gerry

rcrsn51

#53 Post by rcrsn51 »

oui wrote:but where is the central place for the non-official ones or support about the test with success of usual puppy pet's in quirky to find?
If you have tested some Puppy PETs in Quirky, please report your results here.

Gurglin

#54 Post by Gurglin »

musher0 wrote: The word "crator" does not exist in the English dictionary. However, apparently there used to be a picture of a Christ "Panto-crator" [from an ancient Greek word meaning all-powerful] in the Christian Orthodox Church, in Hagia Sophia, in Constantinople (now Istambul), I think.
There ARE many churches with those images of Christ in the Mediterranean area where was the Byzantine empire, and some of the most beautiful ones are in Sicily, namely in Cefalù and Monreale.

"Crator" might be translated into English as "powerful", I guess...

Barry is definitely powerful :P

upnorth

Packages for quirky

#55 Post by upnorth »

re: packages for quirky

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01550

A couple links in this blog entry along with context.

rcrsn51

#56 Post by rcrsn51 »

The Quirky announcement at Distrowatch now says "created by Barry Kauler".

Actually, I thought that "crated" was a subtle pun on the phrase "crate training", which is what you do to puppies.

rjbrewer

Re: SamsungX05 - Intel i810 Driver

#57 Post by rjbrewer »

alec78 wrote:Hi all,
Failed again.
No matter what I try I still get the vesa driver instead of the Intel i810 driver.
I edited the xorg.conf and xorg.conf.Intel_r_852MG -----Chip files, replacing "vesa" with "i810" and ran xwin, result, nothing just returned to the prompt.
The i810 driver is in the ----/drivers folder and the libI810XvMC.so.1.0.0 file is in /usr/XR11R7/lib so it should not be a missing file.
It should be possible to con the system by editing the xorg.conf file to get graphics working using the i810 driver. Any suggestions?
Cheers
Wary-020 Xorg works good with my Intel855gm graphics; including
touchpad tapping.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: SamsungX05 - Intel i810 Driver

#58 Post by BarryK »

alec78 wrote:Hi all,
Failed again.
Cheers
Have you tried editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf, replace "vesa" with "i810"? Then restart X.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

jrb

#59 Post by jrb »

Hi Barry,
Nice Package. My Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL graphics card is working well at Resolution: 1280x1024 Depth: 24 with the intel driver chosen by probe.

Two very minor, but irritating (to me) points. I switched to jwm by editing /etc/windowmanager (couldn't find any other way to do it) and was pleasantly surprised to see the dreaded black icon background problem is fixed. Then I notice two problems:

Blinky is missing from the tray. I am connected but no visible indicator.

When I have two programs open just having the mouse pointer over one of them switches me to that program, before I had to click in the window to switch. This is quite annoying if one opens a terminal from a ROX window (` key) because you then have to move the pointer into the terminal window to start typing.

Perhaps there are simple adjustments of which I am unaware to rectify these annoyances. I hope so.

Thanks again for this amazing package, J

01micko

#60 Post by 01micko »

hi jrb

see here for some tips to get jwm going with the tray applets.

There is a focus setting in jwm that you can change I think.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access