mobile internet

adi

mobile internet

#1 Post by adi »

i like the idea to use puppy with my usb 3g stick when on road but i understand how to connect only with ubuntu. but puppy is much more fast on my laptop. anyone can bring usb 3g to puppy?

kazzamozz

3G Mobile Internet

#2 Post by kazzamozz »

Hi Adi
Before we can help we need some information

1. Puppy version you are using
2. 3G Usb modem type model
3. Model of computer you will be using

Then we can advise on best puppy and type of connection that will work for you

Cheers
Kazzamozz :)

Tommylee567

#3 Post by Tommylee567 »

kazzamozz
I also like to know the same as Adi mentioned.

I'm using various pups at the moment. New Pup 4.3.1 and some derivatives.
The 3G dongle is a Huawei E156
And the laptop is a Dell Latitude C810. -
1.13GHz, 256RAM, 80GB, 32 MB Video.
All puppies (about 4) are running in frugal install. Any ideas?

Oh
It will be wonderful if puppy can share the internet connection via Wifi.

Thank you very much.
Tim

Lin West

#4 Post by Lin West »

wiak

#5 Post by wiak »

Unfortunately, I can't remember the details, but I managed to get a Huawei usb3g modem working after reading some of the information in the following links. As far as I remember, I used the same wizard as for dialup connections, and needed "Stupid Mode". It was a bit tricky to set up because I needed to add entries for the like of user name, password, APN. As far as I remember all the drivers etc were already there in Puppy 4.3.1, but I may be wrong there. I think I found out the values to use for my ISP in the following thread post:

Integration of 3G Wireless Modem Autodetection
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 904#337904

How to install HUAWEI USB CDC MODEM (C300)?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 783#281131

rerwin

#6 Post by rerwin »

adi, wiak, Lin West and others,
Please be aware the the appropriate wireless modem thread for puppies 4.3.1 and later is:
Dialup/Wireless Modem Upgrade Packages for Puppy 4.3+

The thread most people point you to is only for earlier puppy4s (4.1.2 and 4.21). All bets are off if you try the old thread with the newer puppies.

adi: you mention in Barry's blog that you still have issues with puppy's support of your modem. Would you post here the specifics of your system so I can assist you with having it work "out of the box".

To make a fresh start, try starting with a fresh puppy 4.3.1 installation and download and first install the package described here:
About the package installation:
1. For a new puppy 4.3.1 installation, first install modem_fix_pack_to_431-6.pet, downloadable by this link: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=27882
Then install all of the packages in the first posting of that thread.

If you need to work with your existing setup (5.1, I assume), uninstall any other wireless-modem packages you might have installed in error. Then install the packages mentioned above -- except for modem_fix_pack_to_431-6.pet, which is already in most later puppies.

If those work for you, fine. If not, there are some updates that might help. But first try without them. I can instruct you on which to use, if they are needed. (Note that the packages ending in 5.2 and 5.4 are different internally. So, try 5.2 before resorting to 5.4.)
Richard

Atle

#7 Post by Atle »

Just got to say thank you Rerwin, for your great work on USB modems etc. EVERY singel USB modem apart from the very latest 4G modems has been working mostly "out of the box" and the interface is understandable.

Dont know if you wrote support for even what resolved my diskless machine back in Zambia in 2008, but i could then boot my laptop with no hardrive from my Nokia in USB mode and then de- attach it and connect it once again using USB, but then as a modem. And internet, even if slow as hell was present:-)

The Puppy i used was retro something to get the Nokia phone as a modem, Gnokii or something like that:-)

Also during some occasions i booted a laptop from the Puppy Live CD, and then removed it... Then i took out the harddrive and asked the "audience"... Where is this Puppy working from now and people where amazed.

Now its 2011 and Puppy is still amazing:-)