Miniweb browser (tiny QT4 app)

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
vovchik

Miniweb browser (tiny QT4 app)

#1 Post by vovchik »

Dear puppians,

Here is a pet I made of miniweb, a QT4-based mini-browser (217k unpacked) that is not bad at reading offline html docs and also suitable for quick browsing using netbooks, since it was conceived as an emulator of various smartphone browser apps. Once it is running, just click on the menu to see what emulations are there. You can add your own later.

Please bear in mind that you need libQtWebKit, along with the standard/core QT4 libs, installed to get this program to work.

Here is a screenshot.

I fixed the pet since jrb pointed out that the desktop entry was in the wrong place (I forgot to move the /shared/applications dir into /usr). Mea culpa and thanks.

With kind regards,
vovchik

PS. I compiled it in Puppy 3.10 using qt 4.4, but it works fine (I tested) in 4.x. The source code is at: http://www.bernd-stramm.com/download.ph ... ea#miniweb
Attachments
miniweb-0.1.pet
(106.28 KiB) Downloaded 901 times
miniweb.jpg
(26.83 KiB) Downloaded 1112 times
Last edited by vovchik on Sun 09 May 2010, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

Roy

#2 Post by Roy »

Looks interesting, although no menu entry is a bit disappointing.

Code: Select all

# miniweb
miniweb: error while loading shared libraries: libQtWebKit.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I haven't found an appropriate Qt4 library for Puppy 4.31 to satisfy this dependency. Does anyone have a link?

Thanks in advance,
-Roy

vovchik

#3 Post by vovchik »

Dear Roy,

Technosaurus has produced a pet of the required lib (or so I gather). The link is here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 71&t=47004

With kind regards,
vovchik

jrb

#4 Post by jrb »

Roy wrote:no menu entry is a bit disappointing.
Hi vovchik, The /share/applications/miniweb.desktop is in / not in /usr where it should be.

Hope that is of some help, J

vovchik

#5 Post by vovchik »

Dear jrb,

Fixed it, I think (see first post). Many thanks.

With kind regards,
vovchik

Roy

#6 Post by Roy »

Thanks, guys.

I reloaded the miniweb pet and verified the menu entry. Of course nothing would run because of the missing qt4webkit, so I followed the link provided above to techno's pets. Installed libQtWebKit-4.5.2.pet, libQtCore-4.5.2.pet, libQtGui-4.5.2.pet, and libQtNetwork-4.5.2.pet.....

and still nothing runs.

Terminal shows:

# miniweb
miniweb: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libQtWebKit.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN24QXmlStreamEntityResolver13resolveEntityERK7QStringS2_
Maybe it is because I am running Boxpup 4.31 at the moment instead of something with ROX/JWM? I'm shooting in the dark at this point.

-Roy

EDIT: I went ahead and installed techosaurus' webkit browser from the same post his library links were in, and it runs from menu, but isn't quite what I would use day-to-day (see pic). Looking forward to trying miniweb out, if we can get it to run.
Attachments
pupscreen-09May,182404.jpeg
netbook screenshot
(100.54 KiB) Downloaded 1056 times

vovchik

#7 Post by vovchik »

Dear Roy,

It looks as if your newer QT4 libQtWebKit does not like my slightly older version, which is 4.4.0. Could anybody try a compile against the newer libs for Roy and others tho are using technosaurus's QT4 libs?

With kind regards,
vovchik

jrb

#8 Post by jrb »

I used ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... 5-base.tcz, ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... webkit.tcz and ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... .5-xml.tcz and got it to work in quirky21.

You can change the .tcz to .sfs on the above. They are SFS4's.

My only problem is I can't increase the viewing size. Increasing the window size just gives me blank space around the browser.

Tried to attach picture but am getting:
Sorry, but the maximum filesize for all Attachments is reached. Please contact the Board Administrator if you have questions.
. Its only a 39kb picture. :?

vovchik

#9 Post by vovchik »

Dear jrb,

Just edit /root/.miniweb_agents.xml using a text editor as follows :

<Agent name="Max" >
  <useragentstring>Maxwell Smart</useragentstring>
  <size high="700" wide="900" />
 </Agent>
The "Max" entry is the default used by miniweb, so a change there in width and height will solve default size the problem.

With kind regards,
vovchik