PowerPup! A project to port Puppy to PPC macs!

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
vito

yaboot

#121 Post by vito »

BTW I noticed that folks on nubus and newer versions like the lenny live
have been using either yaboot or miboot to boot their various versions. Are you able to use those to boot your powerpup?
Vito

racepres

#122 Post by racepres »

While I like Lenny and etch too for that matter, neither has been able to connect wirelessly thru either an airport card, nor third party cards that work w/ mac OS. Tried 3 different "books" wallstreet, lombard, and clamshell ibook, I may yet try it on the tiBook G4 but.. for now... Back to Sarge where at least everything works.
RP
BTW Ethernet works just fine... but I want my "Books" wireless!

vito

ethernet and wifi problems

#123 Post by vito »

You are soooo right. I noticed that I was unable to get Lenny or etch on ubuntu 8.0 or live lenny to find either my Ethernet or wifi. And I have to admit also that only sarge gets video, keyboard and ehternet working on the first try. However, I don't think that you can get any sound in sarge.

Vito

PowerPup

Re: yaboot

#124 Post by PowerPup »

vito wrote:BTW I noticed that folks on nubus and newer versions like the lenny live
have been using either yaboot or miboot to boot their various versions. Are you able to use those to boot your powerpup?
Vito
Since the nubus team don't really have a stable 2.6 kernel right now. I'm focusing on the NewWorld Macs first. :) I haven't really tested miboot much. I'll probably set up one of the compatible machines and see if it works for me sometime. :)

Actually, One tester said it was running smoother than Sarge, let see if I can find it.... Ah! Here we go! :D
Now the interrupt handling on PBs is much more stable as well as
faster - at least on my PB 1400. There's also serial port support now
- even serial console should work. And NuBus devices (internal
ethernet cards mainly) are supported now - my Focus EtherLAN 1400 is
working.

On my PB 1400 there's now Debian Lenny (Xfce + Lxde edition)
installed and in my opinion it's working better than Woody or Sarge
with 2.4 kernels. Even the Xfce desktop is usable - and I've also
been able to use iceweasel with acceptable performance. The x.org
server sadly failed to autoconfigure and even crashes in the attempt
to do so. I had to add the line:
Driver "fbdev"
to section "Device" manually after running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-
xorg".
I still get shutdowns (PMU cuts off the power) occasionally.
So it's not perfect yet. But it's progress. :D

As for wifi in etch and lenny, you both may want to look at this.
http://wiki.debian.org/orinoco
Other debian users have found it helpful in getting their wifi cards setup and working. :D

PowerPup.

racepres

Re: ethernet and wifi problems

#125 Post by racepres »

vito wrote:However, I don't think that you can get any sound in sarge.

Vito
Sound works on my wallstreet, Just did it .. using XFmedia, There is no indication that it has sound [icon] but it is there! Oh yea! XFCE is fine also. Have used gnome in the past, probably how I set sound up in the first place. While I like KDE it is a hungry scoundrel!! so, it is only on one imacG3 w/ maxxed out RAM.Can't tell ya bout sound on the iMac, but will check it soon...
RP

racepres

Re: ethernet and wifi problems

#126 Post by racepres »

OOps!! Always wondered how that "Double Post thing worked!

vito

sound

#127 Post by vito »

The sound didn't work on my old 1400 - it was, afterr all the upgrades and linux, a doorstop or paperweight if you will.

Has anyone here been able to get the mouse working in vpc on mac while running puppy? I recently tried with Quirky , but alas, no success.

Vito

racepres

Re: sound

#128 Post by racepres »

vito wrote:The sound didn't work on my old 1400 - it was, afterr all the upgrades and linux, a doorstop or paperweight if you will.
Vito
Yea the old 1400 is really a slug w/ anything but os 8, and lesser.
But I happen to have one with a sonnett G3 processor that does really well w/OS9, and fair w/ sarge..Never did even try sound.. but I will.
RP

vito

1400 powerbk linux

#129 Post by vito »

Yes, OS 9 was really elegant , and ran very well on that old hardware, with a few tweeks it was able to run whatever the last version of 9 was I don't remember any more. It also was able to run DVD movies without any probs. I think that it had trouble with flash because Apple would not release any more updates for it as they wanted to move on and be done with that os. Also, it was annoying to me that I couldn't get an updated version of Firefox on it either; just some old hacked versions that were glitchy.

I still believe that the only logical choice for a mac linux will be someone's ported version of Puppy. I really love Lenny as well, but as far as I'm concerned they came out with it too late, as there was a time when everywhere there was a buzz that Linux was the next best great thing in software here in the states. That persisted for a good 5-7yrs or more before fading back into the backrooms of computer geekdom. I think that they had MS scared for a little while, and then came OS X which blew everyone away.

Vito

PowerPup

#130 Post by PowerPup »

Hey all, just wanted to give an update.

Lately I haven't done anything with the project because of schooling. But when I do get back to working on the PowePup project I may try from a whole other aspect.

With the recent updates to Puppy's T2 method, I think it would be overall easier and more efficient trying it this way. This would mean porting Puppy using a x86 machine. Also meaning I'll need to setup a PC with Puppy on it. I'll probably just buy a new HD and put it in my main PC as the Puppy Development Environment.

Yeah, I really wish Apple made a "true" multi-tasking Mac OS 9. Something similar to NeXTStep. Because the NeXTstation only had a 25mhz Motorola 68040 CPU and it ran very well! (At least from what I've seen in videos.)

That's one of the main reasons why I want to port Puppy to PPC. To run something with the power of Linux/Unix, and at the same time have a light-weight-non-resource-hungry GUI like Mac OS 8 & 9.

vito

puppy port to ppc

#131 Post by vito »

That is very good news!
Thx,
Vito

ArneBab

#132 Post by ArneBab »

PowerPup wrote:That's one of the main reasons why I want to port Puppy to PPC. To run something with the power of Linux/Unix, and at the same time have a light-weight-non-resource-hungry GUI like Mac OS 8 & 9.
You could also just install a Gentoo ( gentoo.org ) with minimal configuration (xorg + lxde or so). But even KDE runs well im my old iMac G4 (which isn't fast enough for decent speed MacOSX.

Still a puppy (with in-memory programs and write-only-at-shutdown) would be nicer.

racepres

#133 Post by racepres »

Gentoo huh... giant pain for me. I didn't like the way I had to "build" it.. But if you feel that it is faster than debian.... I should try it again.. tho my G4 runs os10.3.9 easily as fast as debian!!

ArneBab

#134 Post by ArneBab »

racepres wrote:Gentoo huh... giant pain for me. I didn't like the way I had to "build" it.. But if you feel that it is faster than debian.... I should try it again.. tho my G4 runs os10.3.9 easily as fast as debian!!
It's fast, because you can easily (well, relatively easy) specify what exactly you need. And you can use a rock stable base system together with the testing stuff you want (mix testing and stable).

I can't judge what exactly the CFLAG optimization gets, though.

It compiles everything from source, though, so you need a system which can run for longer periods of time.

Tester

powerpup

#135 Post by Tester »

aney news on this build

PowerPup

#136 Post by PowerPup »

Well, so far there is no update, working on my schooling. ;) And I still haven't been able to set aside money for large hard drive for which I'd do the porting on. I'll probably start working again on this around the start of summer. 8)

PowerPup

#137 Post by PowerPup »

Hey all, just wanted to give an update. I received a donation towards buying that bigger hard drive. Today I purchased a 60gb drive. :D

So once I get it in the mail I'll be able to try the T2 method for porting Puppy to PowerPC. ;)

Puppy on!

sc0ttman

#138 Post by sc0ttman »

That would be cool if you could get that done.. I've had so many requests to make Puppy Arcade work on PS3... Your work would be a step in the right direction, for sure.. Good luck!
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

rafa1215

testing

#139 Post by rafa1215 »

I can help you test this. I have a ibook g4 running 10.5.8 / 1.2Ghz / 1.25Gb of ram

ArneBab

#140 Post by ArneBab »

PowerPup wrote:So once I get it in the mail I'll be able to try the T2 method for porting Puppy to PowerPC. ;)
Cool! Many thanks!