Quirky 1.0 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
jpeps

#101 Post by jpeps »

...got hotkeys via jwmrc-personal working by changing openbox to jwm in /etc/windowmanger.

Sylvander

#102 Post by Sylvander »

@BarryK
1. " You can also install my updated Sqlite PET but I haven't uploaded it yet."
(a) GREAT! :D
I've discovered that lupu DOES suffer from that problem too. :(

(b) Can that PET be used on all Puppies? :D
e.g. BoxPup-413, Lupu-116, Quirky-100?

nooby

#103 Post by nooby »

Sylvander I use Q1 as my main OS now and Firefox never crash.

What sites does it and which circumstances?

caveat? My FF are a cheat imported from a different subdir on the HDD and replacing the .mozilla.

But it didn't crash before either and I used youtube heavily with many tabs going at same time and going back in history which did make puppy 4.00 crash in 2008?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jpeps

#104 Post by jpeps »

Running well on a Dell Latitude..
* samba-cups networked printer
* Firefox (no crashes)
*/etc/windowmanager/jwm (for hotkeys, etc)
* rdesktop (needed libsamplerate, libcrypto.so.0.9.8->libcrypto.so.1.0.0)

Nice!!

Sylvander

#105 Post by Sylvander »

@nooby
1. "What sites does it and which circumstances?"
(a) It happens at random; any site, any time.
Often/usually when I then attempt to restart Firefox, that will fail...
It's necessary to reboot, which usually works [dropping to a command prompt and coming back in just doesn't do the trick].

(b) I usually have 3 windows open at the same time.
Each window normally has only 1 tab.

2. I've updated Sqlite in both BoxPup-413 [to v3.6.23.1-p4], and Quirky-100 [to v3.6.23.1-q].
Haven't yet seen Firefox crashing since doing that.
Here's where I got the Sqlite PET's.

3. Haven't yet updated Sqlite [now v3.6.22] within Lupu-116.
No more Firefox crashing seen as yet; haven't been using it much, time will tell.

4. Tally of number of crashes [after reporting, and] prior to fix/now:
BoxPup-413 = 5
Lupu-116 = 4
Quirky-100 = 0

nooby

#106 Post by nooby »

SQLite Manager is a Firefox extension that can manage any SQLite database on your computer.
Sylvander, the reason it never crash here is me didn't knew what it was.

Cool that at leas Q1 survive then. :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#107 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

Quirky definitely runs my Acer desktop faster and cooler. However it won't boot on my Pentium 3 Laptop. Everything looks good up to the Video Probing part, then Quirky gives me 3 options:
- Probe
- Select
- Xvesa

Which ever one I choose and whatever I do after that, the boot process "hangs" indefinitely. According to 421 Retro (which runs the PC without any problems) I have a Trident CyberBlade video card, so I re-booted into Quirky, chose the "Select" option and input "trident" but the same thing happened.
Steve

ecube

PartViiew update

#108 Post by ecube »

There is a subtle bug i gtkdialog3 which sometimes affects the execution of PartView (Free space in Drives) If you have many partitions the "All Drives" choice may result in a failure. In my experience, with 11 partitions this happens one or two times out of ten.

The error message varies, Typical specimens are

Code: Select all

# The program 'gtkdialog3' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadIDChoice (invalid resource ID chosen for this connection)'.
  (Details: serial 1202 error_code 14 request_code 53 minor_code 0)

# The program 'gtkdialog3' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 1005 error_code 9 request_code 64 minor_code 0)

I am far too ignorant about the inner live of gtkdialog to attempt any bug exterminations. My rescue action consists of converting the PartView Perl script (pdff.pl) to the Glade format (gtkdialog3 --glade-xml=my_file.glade). The resulting version of pdff.pl is three time larger than the original file, but seems to deliver the correct output without any premature exits.

If you have many partitions, please, test the enclosed pet.
:D
ecube

Quit signal corrected, All Drives button adjusted.
Attachments
Partview-2.1.pet
PartView version 2.1 (buttons corrected)
(2.68 KiB) Downloaded 913 times
Last edited by ecube on Mon 10 May 2010, 18:24, edited 2 times in total.

jpeps

#109 Post by jpeps »

Loading openoffice-3.1.1-sfs4.sfs seems to interfere with samba, resulting in an "unknown device (smb)" in the cups dropdown menu. Remove it, and samba appears again.

`f00

#110 Post by `f00 »

@Sylvander - re a few simple questions
fg is short for foreground (usually text) and bg is short for background. Lighter values for text show well on darker backgrounds and vice-versa, but occasionally (depending on the app and gtk rules) there may be odd mixups. Mostly it's pretty cut-and-dry on menus, window decoration and so on (depending on window manager), but 'internal' gtk may vary with very dark gtk themes.

Not sure just what you're using in LHP, but often you can simply copy a theme dir from another pup and see if it works (if dotpets are not available or compatible).

As to the background of the cpu plugin for fbpanel .. 01micko did some work on that (likely in next quirky or check his posts for a workaround). You can also set fbpanel to transparent and edit /usr/sbin/pfbpanel for more transparency (I think the default value was like 37, less is more fully transparent) or use #000000, black or navy in the proper place. Or use conky if you like a bigger graph-display and other useful sysinfo - pwidgets is another similar way if you like them or even gkrellm.

___further personal q100
Made a couple personal sfs with one of ttuuxxx's dotpets and wine, arora, opera and qtcmd working nicely - that really helped to keep the savefile small-ish :) Some boot-errormessages about 2fs (my upgraded savefile) that 'went away' after some re-do of the OpenWith and SendTo in Rox (not sure if it simply settled or whether it was related :| ).

Sylvander

#111 Post by Sylvander »

@f00

1. Explanations regarding fg and bg understood.

2. "Not sure just what you're using in LHP"
(a) [LHP]->JWM Theme = Black-VG.
(b) The blue-glassy sliders are also nice. [Not sure how I configured that]

3. "often you can simply copy a theme dir from another pup and see if it works"
(a) Precise instructions needed. [I'm new to this] :wink:

rcrsn51

#112 Post by rcrsn51 »

jpeps wrote:Loading openoffice-3.1.1-sfs4.sfs seems to interfere with samba, resulting in an "unknown device (smb)" in the cups dropdown menu. Remove it, and samba appears again.
Here is something to try. If you look in the folder /usr/lib/cups/backend, you will see the file "smb" which is a symlink to /opt/samba/bin/smbspool.

Instead of using the symlink, copy the actual smbspool file over and rename it to "smb"

jpeps

#113 Post by jpeps »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Instead of using the symlink, copy the actual smbspool file over and rename it to "smb"
Now that's truly quirky......and it worked. I'll have to think about that one... Thanks!

rcrsn51

#114 Post by rcrsn51 »

You could try mounting the openoffice sfs file and looking for the folder /opt/samba/...

Maybe something in it is breaking the smb symlink.

Is this behaviour specific to Quirky?

jpeps

#115 Post by jpeps »

rcrsn51 wrote:You could try mounting the openoffice sfs file and looking for the folder /opt/samba/...

Maybe something in it is breaking the smb symlink.

Is this behaviour specific to Quirky?
Link looks okay, and smbspool works when copied over as you suggested.
Yes...this is unique to quirky..same OO prints with 4.4, etc. I also tried loading
samba-3.0.26 without luck (also rebooted, etc). Maybe the link negates the cups fix ??

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 2010-05-09 12:37 smb -> /opt/samba/bin/smbspool

rcrsn51

#116 Post by rcrsn51 »

@jpeps:

I can confirm the problem. I wonder if it has something to do with the open office sfs and the puppy sfs both using the /opt folder. As a result, the CUPS daemon loses track of the smbspool file through the symlink.

Interestingly, when I moved the smbspool file into /root and symlinked the backend file to there, CUPS still worked.

Loading the devx sfs does not affect CUPS, but it doesn't use /opt.

Has there been a change in the layered filesystem with Quirky that would cause this?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

quirky 100 you2pup no download

#117 Post by Béèm »

In quirky 100 I wanted to download a video.
So I pasted the url, defined the directory and file name.
The download didn't start as apparently the site of the url isn't known in wget. This is the contents of the file name I gave.

wget: missing URL
Usage: wget [OPTION]... [URL]...

Try `wget --help' for more options.
the extension of the file name is as expected mp4.
Looks like the url pasted didn't make it to the wget command.

Anybody having this?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

dalderton

#118 Post by dalderton »

very strange , usb mouse works fine on live cd but not when I do a full install.Then I cant get out of the program properly and when I reboot the keyboard will not work when the cursor comes up halfway through the boot. I have a dvorak switchable keyboard and it wont work on dvorak or querty settings . The mouse has always worked on all puppy versions that I have used in the last few years from about 2.1.
However this is the first Puppy that centres my Monitor.
Regards Dennis.

jpeps

#119 Post by jpeps »

rcrsn51 wrote:@jpeps:

I can confirm the problem. I wonder if it has something to do with the open office sfs and the puppy sfs both using the /opt folder. As a result, the CUPS daemon loses track of the smbspool file through the symlink.

Interestingly, when I moved the smbspool file into /root and symlinked the backend file to there, CUPS still worked.

Loading the devx sfs does not affect CUPS, but it doesn't use /opt.

Has there been a change in the layered filesystem with Quirky that would cause this?
It may have something to do with the complexity of the linked path, which causes it to fail. I noticed a similar problem placing a linked .mozilla directory in /root, which easily corrupted and failed. This worked in other distros, so I'm guessing the layered file system adds complexity.

rcrsn51

#120 Post by rcrsn51 »

@jpeps:

This is not a Quirky issue - it's CUPS. I went back to Puppy 4.3.1 and installed Open Office. CUPS 1.1.23 worked fine.

I then upgraded CUPS to 1.3.11. The smb symlink problem appeared.

I uninstalled Open Office and CUPS went back to normal.