Quirky 1.0 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

#121 Post by BarryK »

rcrsn51 wrote:I did a quick set of CUPS tests and everything works. You just have to run the Wizard once to enable some patches. The HP printer/scanner updates from here work fine.
I just had a quick look at that link, for HP printer/scanner. Do you recommend that I should put any of that by default into Quirky? Like the patched foomatic-rip -- but I don't want to break anything for other printers.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Quirky 1.0 feedback

#122 Post by BarryK »

Billtoo wrote:Playing a video at cnn caused seamonkey to crash.

I downloaded the latest firefox from mozilla and videos at cnn worked fine.

I tried seamonkey again and videos at cnn don't cause seamonkey to crash anymore after installing firefox.
I'm running SeaMonkey 2.0.4, which will be in the next release of Quirky, and CNN videos play fine -- I'm watching a feature on the Philippines elections:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/

rcrsn51

#123 Post by rcrsn51 »

BarryK wrote:I just had a quick look at that link, for HP printer/scanner. Do you recommend that I should put any of that by default into Quirky? Like the patched foomatic-rip -- but I don't want to break anything for other printers.
I've tested the new compiled foomatic-rip with a number of printers that use it (including the HPIJS package) and it always worked. However, if a distro already contains Perl, there is no huge advantage to switching. It was recommended in Puppy 4.3.1 because the foomatic-rip Perl scripts there needed some patching anyway. This doesn't seem to be the case in Quirky.

As you know, one major advantage of CUPS 1.3.x over the old CUPS 1.1.x is the ability to use dynamic PPD files. So the 10 MB static HPIJS package can be replaced with one that is only 400 KB. It has worked fine for me and no one here has complained about it.

I have to confess that I made the HP scanner PET just by extracting the scanner driver components from lluamco's larger HPLIP package. It also works for me, but it may be missing things needed by some HP scanners.

divisionmd

#124 Post by divisionmd »

Hello alla,

Intel 855GM does not like Quirky 1.0.

After xorgwizard X crashes/freezes - only thing to do is to powerit off.

Thinking this is a known bug? because i belive i tested an earlier version of quirky that acutally worked with Intel 855GM.

Is there a fix / or solution to make Intel 855GM work with Quirky 1.0?

Thanks for help,

Best regards,
Johan

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: 800x600 display

#125 Post by BarryK »

broomdodger wrote:Sharp 300MHz/64MB
800x600x24 display
report-video looks good

On first boot, probe video, some options like the 'C' column 1024x768 are not lined up.

BootManager is too tall

BootFlash: make USB drive bootable
is too wide and then its 'More Help' is too tall.

Puppy hardware-interface information is also too tall.
Ok, I have fixed column alignment in Xorg Wizard.

I won't fix dialog windows that are too tall for 600 pixel screens. I'm not alone, a huge number of apps have dialogs that are too tall.

It would really torture some dialog windows to get them to fit elegantly into 600 height.

You have to use the ALT key to drag such windows.

Anyway, soon the new netbooks will have 800 pixel vertical screens ...which is much more usable.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: geode video driver

#126 Post by BarryK »

mavrothal wrote:I did point out on quirky021 feedback that the 2.11.7 geode video driver is broken and that 2.11.8 is OK.
Yet quirky 1.0 is released with the broken driver :?

PS: Just replacing the geode_drv.so with the one from the Lupu builds "solves" the problem in quirky1.0 and can be now used on AMD-Geode-based boards.
Posted from a Quirky1.0-running Geode board ... :wink:
Ok, have upgraded to Geode driver 2.11.8.

panzerpuppy

#127 Post by panzerpuppy »

I'm having problems installing the latest proprietary ATI driver (Catalyst 10.4) in Quirky 1.0.

I loaded both the DEVX and Kernel Source (2.6.33.2-patched) .sfs files, put the driver in / and ran the installer.

When it gets to compiling the kernel module, the installer exits quickly and leaves this post-install log file in /usr/share/ati :

(fglrx-install.log)

Code: Select all

Unloading radeon module...
Unloading drm module...
[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
[Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
Error:
kernel includes at /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/build/include do not match current kernel.
they are versioned as ""
instead of "2.6.33.2".
you might need to adjust your symlinks:
- /usr/include
- /usr/src/linux
[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.
Can anyone help me to solve this issue?

The Open Source 'radeon' driver works nicely for 2D stuff, but it doesn't support OpenGL, HD/Flash acceleration and power management. I really have no other choice than installing the proprietary driver :(
Turbopup Tech Support

jpeps

#128 Post by jpeps »

rcrsn51 wrote:@jpeps:

This is not a Quirky issue - it's CUPS. I went back to Puppy 4.3.1 and installed Open Office. CUPS 1.1.23 worked fine.

I then upgraded CUPS to 1.3.11. The smb symlink problem appeared.

I uninstalled Open Office and CUPS went back to normal.
Right again! I tried CUPS 1.3.11 with 4.4 and got the same behavior.

Edit: Listed fix:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01496
Last edited by jpeps on Tue 11 May 2010, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.

ChiJoan

Distrowatch questions RE: Quirky

#129 Post by ChiJoan »

Maybe someone in the know should address this on Distrowatch, you made today's newsletter? I use USB flash or hard drives instead.

Just trying to help others...
Joan in Reno

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#130 Post by Flash »

Gnome Mplayer in Quirky 100 won't play anything. It just sits there and says "stopped" when I drag a .mov or .mp3 file onto it or tell it to open the file from the "File" menu. And just now, when I opened Mplayer to double check what I'm saying, it apparently caused SeaMonkey to close - not for the first time.

I ran the alsa wizard and got two barks, for what that's worth. :)
Last edited by Flash on Tue 11 May 2010, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.

James C

Re: Distrowatch questions RE: Quirky

#131 Post by James C »

ChiJoan wrote:Maybe someone in the know should address this on Distrowatch, you made today's newsletter? I use USB flash or hard drives instead.

Just trying to help others...
Joan in Reno
I just left a quick comment about Pburn and Burniso2cd on Distrowatch..

aarf

#132 Post by aarf »

q@5
Attachments
q5.jpg
(29.76 KiB) Downloaded 1063 times

divisionmd

timezone strangeness

#133 Post by divisionmd »

Hello,

- I have set my timezone to GMT+1 (Sweden/Stockholm).

however when typing "date" in the console it shows: GMT-1 ?

Strange?

Best regards,
Johan

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: timezone strangeness

#134 Post by Béèm »

divisionmd wrote:Hello,

- I have set my timezone to GMT+1 (Sweden/Stockholm).

however when typing "date" in the console it shows: GMT-1 ?

Strange?

Best regards,
Johan
When defining my timezone I never select GMT + or -, always by selecting, in your case Europe/stockholm.
(In my case this is Europe Brussels)

This has been recommended at a certain point by Barry, as there were funny effects when working with GMT.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Sylvander

#135 Post by Sylvander »

I too NEVER use GMT+/- but use instead Europe/London [I'm in Scotland, UK].

By doing this, daylight savings adjustments are automatically applied, so the time ALWAYS agrees with the proper local values.

looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#136 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

I've just noticed that Quirky's Gparted does not detect Unallocated space on my second Hard Drive. I have 2 X 40gb HDDs on my Acer desktop.

5.78 GB of Unallocated Space shows up on Gparted under Puppy 421 Retro (see 1.jpg) but doesn't show up on Quirky's Gparted (see 2..jpg)
Attachments
2.jpg
(79.12 KiB) Downloaded 592 times
1.jpg
(127.52 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
Steve

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#137 Post by Béèm »

looseSCREWorTWO wrote:I've just noticed that Quirky's Gparted does not detect Unallocated space on my second Hard Drive. I have 2 X 40gb HDDs on my Acer desktop.

5.78 GB of Unallocated Space shows up on Gparted under Puppy 421 Retro (see 1.jpg) but doesn't show up on Quirky's Gparted (see 2..jpg)
How does it come you have a hdb device and a sdb device?
Do you have a hda/sda device also?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

rcrsn51

#138 Post by rcrsn51 »

Béèm wrote:How does it come you have a hdb device and a sdb device?
The first example is from 4.21 Retro which I believe was still using the old "hd" notation for hard drives.

@looseSCREWorTWO: Try using the "df -h" command. It may tell you the actual status of the drive.

Sage

#139 Post by Sage »

Something odd has been happening with HD detection (or not!) on several recent releases of Q on my systems. Shortage of time has caused me to swap HW around until I hit a winning combination.
Latest Vector looks nice but cannot get LILO to behave. Unacceptable at this stage that folks, esp. incomers, should have to tangle with an obsolete LILO or an overly ambitious GRUB2. Coders responsible should stop playing machoman and provide a simple boot system that is understable by everyone.

panzerpuppy

#140 Post by panzerpuppy »

BarryK, how about updating the xf86-video-ati driver to 6.13.0?

The current one (6.12.6) is very buggy, especially with AGP cards. There were two bugfix releases after that and 6.13.0 is a stable release that additionally fixes a major performance regression of 6.12.6.
Turbopup Tech Support