I did upload now here

http://dl.free.fr/oVpQzgXhy

user (no user drop the question)

password: linuxpower

a

custom-puppy-quirky-100.iso , about 430 MiB,

with

- Seamonkey 2.0 (icon on the desktop)

- OpenOffice 3.1.1 (icon on the desktop for write and calc)

- Java 1.6u17

- Codecs

- Xara LX 07r16 92-2 (menu)

- ImageMagick

- MuseScore (menu)

- aMSN because Ayttm don-t work properly (use please Seamonkey for IRC chat!);

- Skype static 2.1.0.47

- qemu 0.91

- mtools 3.9.1

- wine 1.1.23

- dd rescue 1.14

and, I am sorry because the link is not proper, beaver 0 3 0 1,

you can repair and overwrite it in /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor and will immediately see the problem: the destination's file is not active and you have to search step by step this file to change it ...

all above functions works on my acer emachines laptop with AMD64 2 GiB RAM.

the keyboard is us_intl (see in /etc/X11/xorg.conf ) so you can write Spanish, French, German etc. without difficulty using the AltGr key rigth of the space bar of the keyboard. you get so directly ¡¿éúóáßçñ (öüä etc. but it is more tricky) and composed with accent followed by the letter à, ù etc...

it is possible to start Seamonkey 1.1.18 clicking on the file /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.18/seamonkey.bin !

the ISO file will be erased from free server as soon as no download happens between 30 days.

recommanded supplementary installation: flash plugin from the official depository (so you can desinstall and reinstall in case of changes).

enjoy it !

bye

aarf

#142 Post by aarf »

quirky 100 without a pupsave connects consistently to wifi with simple network setup but fails to connect consistently when pupsave is present when using both sns and classic.

JustGreg

#143 Post by JustGreg »

I am using Quirky 1.00 with Firefox 3.6.3 on my Acer Aspire Revo system. The Quirky 1.00 installation is a frugal on ext2 partition and using the entire partition for data instead of a save file.

I have noticed that after start up there is a fsckme.err (error from fsck) file in /initrd/pup-rw every time. I run e2fsck from another partition with Puppy 4.3.1 and it reports nodes with dtime set to zero. I fix the problems and reboot into Quirky and a new error message appears. I do not think this is a major problem. But, I decided to report it.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

synth

#144 Post by synth »

The time has finally come to test the latest Opera snapshot and think about the possible inclusion of Opera in a future Quirky release.

This build is unbelievably fast and stable. If you though Opera 10.10 was fast, you'll be blown away by the speed of 10.54. The Flash and font issues are fixed, so the latest build can finally be used for normal browsing.

Here's a fat-free package of the latest snapshot I made for Quirky:

Opera 10.54 fat-free package for Quirky

NOTE: Just make sure you disable smooth scrolling (a major CPU hog) in the Opera preferences. It's turned ON by default.

Enjoy and share your experience :)

synth

BarryK
Puppy Master

#145 Post by BarryK »

All of these upgrades fix bugs in previous version...

I have upgraded Lloyd's Snap2 to version 4.8.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... p2-4.8.pet

I upgraded 'xf86-video-geode' to version 2.11.8.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 1.8-q1.pet

I have upgraded 'xf86-video-ati' to version 6.13.0.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 3.0-q1.pet

Would you guys running Quirky 1.0 and who have the 'geode', 'ati' or 'radeon' video hardware, mind testing these new PETs?
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

panzerpuppy

#146 Post by panzerpuppy »

xf86-video-ati 6.13.0:

Tested with two different ATI (Radeon) cards. Working nicely so far.
Turbopup Tech Support

Billtoo

Quirky 1.0 feedback

#147 Post by Billtoo »

[quote="BarryK"]All of these upgrades fix bugs in previous version...

booted the quirky 1.0 disk using pfix=ram and used probe,

VIDEO REPORT: Quirky, version 100

Chip description:
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
02:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23885 PCI Video and Audio Decoder (rev 04)

Driver used by Xorg:
radeon

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

I downloaded and installed the new pet, then exited to the prompt and ran xorgwizard, used probe again.

VIDEO REPORT: Quirky, version 100

Chip description:
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
02:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23885 PCI Video and Audio Decoder (rev 04)

Driver used by Xorg:
radeon

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

Then I installed dosbox with the package manager and ran quake at 1024x768 resolution.It ran full speed with no lag or anything so it's working okay.

Edit: I thought I ought to see if changing to the vesa driver and trying quake again would make any difference so I did that and quake runs just as well using the vesa driver.

So ignore all of the above :)
Last edited by Billtoo on Wed 12 May 2010, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

scifictn

#148 Post by scifictn »

Hi!!.

I've tried puppylinux quirky 1.0, but slmodemd daemon don't work...I need slmodemd daemon work for my SmartLink modem DialUp.

Thanks!!

looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#149 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

rcrsn51 wrote:
The first example is from 4.21 Retro which I believe was still using the old "hd" notation for hard drives.
Yes, 421 Retro calls my second HDD hdb1, while Quirky calls the same Drive sdb1. After my last Post I booted into 421 Retro and re-sized the hdb1/sdb1 partition to use up the Unallocated Space, bringing the total size to 37.7gb.
@looseSCREWorTWO: Try using the "df -h" command. It may tell you the actual status of the drive.
I did this (see attached screenshot) and it agrees with what 421 Retro's Gparted says, which is that the Drive is 37.7gb total, with 30gb used for data and 7.7gb free

Quirky's Pmount says the same Drive is 31.5gb total, with 7.7gb free. Yet when I click on the Mount button of Pmount it displays all 30gb of movies that i have stored on the HDD and Mplayer can play all of them.

Quirky's Gparted says the same Drive is 31.5gb of Unallocated Space.

Don't worry folks - everything's backed-up !!! :D
Steve

Gurglin

Update software

#150 Post by Gurglin »

just a couple of notes on some installed softwares that could be updated in Quirky 1.1:

Abiword last release is 2.8.4 (Quirky has 2.8.3)

Gnumeric last release is 1.10.03 (Quirky has 1.8.2, while Puppy 4.3.2 has 1.10.0)

Seamonkey last release is 2.0.4 (Quirky has 1.1.18, and Puppy 4.3.2. has 2.0)... even if I personally prefer the old version

aarf

#151 Post by aarf »

aarf wrote:quirky 100 without a pupsave connects consistently to wifi with simple network setup but fails to connect consistently when pupsave is present when using both sns and classic.
still failing. this is from the log in the sns. when it advises of failure to connect, today is may 12 and this is todays attempt
LAST 10 LINES of /var/log/messages:
May 7 17:14:28 puppypc daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open 'kernel/sound/core/snd-page-alloc.ko': No such file or directory
May 7 17:14:28 puppypc daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open 'kernel/sound/soundcore.ko': No such file or directory
May 7 17:14:28 puppypc daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open 'kernel/sound/core/snd.ko': No such file or directory
May 7 17:14:28 puppypc daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open 'kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko': No such file or directory
May 7 17:14:28 puppypc daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open 'kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko': No such file or directory
May 7 17:14:28 puppypc daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open 'kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec.ko': No such file or directory
May 7 17:14:28 puppypc daemon.notice modprobe: FATAL: Could not open 'kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko': No such file or directory
May 8 16:14:28 puppypc user.info kernel: retrovol[26627]: segfault at 13 ip b76ac2e2 sp bfad13b8 error 4 in libasound.so.2.0.0[b7680000+9b000]
May 8 00:15:57 puppypc daemon.notice acpid: exiting
May 8 00:15:58 puppypc daemon.err dhcpcd: dhcpcd not running
Last edited by aarf on Wed 12 May 2010, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.

broomdodger

xfontsel does not launch

#152 Post by broomdodger »

quirky100 frugal
xfontsel does not launch when clicked from the menu or from console

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#153 Post by Béèm »

BarryK wrote:All of these upgrades fix bugs in previous version...

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 3.0-q1.pet

Would you guys running Quirky 1.0 and who have the 'geode', 'ati' or 'radeon' video hardware, mind testing these new PETs?
Installed the pet on my Radeon Mobility 7500 machine.
Did run xorgwizard and verified if the radeon driver was selected and loaded. It was ok.

Didn't had problems before, so difficult to say if there is improvement.

But in the whole operation I lost 8MB of my save file. I am puzzled.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

aarf

#154 Post by aarf »

pfx=ram, seamonkey, can't get this video to play http://www.bloomberg.com/avp/avp.htm?N= ... aMOHpk.asf
and none of the channels on that page
Select Channel
Asia Pacific Europe US
produce anything either. may be my connection which can download at speed.

Code: Select all

wget http://www.bloomberg.com/avp/avp.htm?N=video&T=Cameron+Speaks+After+Becoming+U.K.+Prime+Minister+&clipSRC=mms://media2.bloomberg.com/cache/vnojqpaMOHpk.asf
[1] 30661
[2] 30662
# --2010-05-12 15:48:30--  http://www.bloomberg.com/avp/avp.htm?N=video
Resolving www.bloomberg.com (www.bloomberg.com)... 203.69.113.34
Connecting to www.bloomberg.com (www.bloomberg.com)|203.69.113.34|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 9784 (9.6K) [text/html]
Saving to: `avp.htm?N=video'

100%[======================================>] 9,784       22.1K/s   in 0.4s    

2010-05-12 15:48:32 (22.1 KB/s) - `avp.htm?N=video' saved [9784/9784]
but no video to be seen like that either.

# wget mms://media2.bloomberg.com/cache/vnojqpaMOHpk.asf
mms://media2.bloomberg.com/cache/vnojqpaMOHpk.asf: Unsupported scheme `mms'.
# 

gnomeplayer and pupTV both give video but no sound with
[url]mms://media2.bloomberg.com/cache/vnojqpaMOHpk.asf[/url]
so puppy has a built-in revolutionary new method for listening to politiians. :wink: puppy pioneering a new world :!: note the pregnant wife in the background suitably gagged and bound..
Last edited by aarf on Wed 12 May 2010, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

quirky 100 tmp after boot strange

#155 Post by Béèm »

Quirky 100
I expected the /tmp to be cleared at shutdown and rebuild at next boot.
But when I look in it I see files which have a date 21 hours earlier.
How is this possible?
(fortunately the bootxxx.log files have the date/hour of the boot time, indicated by the red line.
Attachments
tmp-after-boot-quirky100.png
Red line indicates time of boot.
(168.08 KiB) Downloaded 1359 times
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

aarf

#156 Post by aarf »

more on sns failing with pupsave

# defaultconnect   
EXIT="Interface_wlan0"
/usr/sbin/sns: line 653: 10755 Terminated              xmessage -center -bg orange -buttons "" "Please wait, scanning for wireless networks..."

(nicoedit:11334): GtkSourceView-CRITICAL **: gtk_source_language_manager_get_language: assertion `id != NULL' failed
EXIT="abort"
# /usr/sbin/sns
EXIT="Interface_wlan0"
/usr/sbin/sns: line 653: 13829 Terminated              xmessage -center -bg orange -buttons "" "Please wait, scanning for wireless networks..."
EXIT="Interface_wlan0"
/usr/sbin/sns: line 653: 15065 Terminated              xmessage -center -bg orange -buttons "" "Please wait, scanning for wireless networks..."
# 

panzerpuppy

#157 Post by panzerpuppy »

Now I know what's the problem with the proprietary ATI driver (Catalyst / fglrx 10.4) and Quirky.

The kernel in Quirky 1.0 is a bit new (k2.6.33) and Catalyst 10.4 only supports kernels up to 2.6.32.

A patch is needed to make it work with the newer kernels. There are patches available for Ubuntu, Debian, Arch Linux and Kanotix which make the driver work with k2.6.33 and 2.6.34.

But how to patch the driver to work in Puppy/Quirky?

Can someone make a patched .PET package for Quirky?
Turbopup Tech Support

broomdodger

xfontsel does not launch

#158 Post by broomdodger »

xfontsel does not launch

quirky100 frugal

Missing one link and one file:
/usr/bin/xfontsel
/usr/X11R7/bin/xfontsel

copied these from puppy 431 and it works.

jpeps

#159 Post by jpeps »

synth wrote:The time has finally come to test the latest Opera snapshot and think about the possible inclusion of Opera in a future Quirky release.

This build is unbelievably fast and stable. If you though Opera 10.10 was fast, you'll be blown away by the speed of 10.54. The Flash and font issues are fixed, so the latest build can finally be used for normal browsing.

Here's a fat-free package of the latest snapshot I made for Quirky:

Opera 10.54 fat-free package for Quirky

NOTE: Just make sure you disable smooth scrolling (a major CPU hog) in the Opera preferences. It's turned ON by default.

Enjoy and share your experience :)

synth
Uses less resources than Firefox, although more than SeaMonkey. Is there a way to move the window?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#160 Post by BarryK »

nubc wrote:Seamonkey 1.1.18??? If Quirky is an experimental version, why are we working with an old version of Seamonkey? So then, is Quirky gonna be like Debian Lenny (stable)? Wouldn't it be better, more progressive to work on integrating Seamonkey 2.x?
You need to read me blog! There were reasons for staying with 1.1.18, but the next Quirky will have 2.0.4, as a couple of the problems with the 2.x series have been solved.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]