Success porting Openshot video editor to puppy.

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
smil99

Success porting Openshot video editor to puppy.

#1 Post by smil99 »

I have been trying to make openshot video editor work in puppy but all to no avail. I am sure someone (ttuuxxx, gposil, etc?) with much knowledge than me can port this wonderful and promising video editor to puppy in no time. I am sure this can fill the vacuum of video editing needs of many puppians.
You may check it out at: http://www.openshotvideo.com/

Cheers.

smil99

Openshot video editor

#2 Post by smil99 »

It's amazing no one seems to be interested in this.

Well, I hope someone will come to the rescue and soon.

Cheers.

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

I use avidemux all the time but this does look very promising as I do miss the joys of full editing that I have with say Ulead on windows...transistion effects, titles etc.

have you tried the deb yet...it may be easier to get running than you might expect...when I get time I will

mike

ttuuxxx

#4 Post by ttuuxxx »

I'll have a look at it, but keep in mind you might be using 2.14X to use the program :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Needs python...should have known.....

mike

ttuuxxx

#6 Post by ttuuxxx »

mikeb wrote:Needs python...should have known.....

mike
ya but mu's 2.5 python works well on 2.14X :)
So thats half the battle
ttuuxxx

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

ya but mu's 2.5 python works well on 2.14X Smile
So thats half the battle
how big is it out of interest and does python need extra libs depending on the application?...some good music programs out there and others wave the python flag.

mike

ttuuxxx

#8 Post by ttuuxxx »

mikeb wrote:
ya but mu's 2.5 python works well on 2.14X Smile
So thats half the battle
how big is it out of interest and does python need extra libs depending on the application?...some good music programs out there and others wave the python flag.

mike
What you haven't tried the Scribus package I slaved over last week yet?
It was built on 2.14X so it should work on your box, Python I think is about 4MB pet.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 14&t=45973
Python 4MB
Scribus 10MB pack that includes Qt3 mt, and others
Qt3 theme 10kb or so, really Any qt3 should have this theme :)
ttuuxxx

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Python 4MB
hmm not bad....ages ago I was trying to get music apps working but came unstuck at gstreamer/python and left it.

I use an older scribus that doesn't need python.

Well on topic there's the application deb, two odd library debs and python....ffmpeg and h264 probably in there might do.

mike

smil99

#10 Post by smil99 »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for showing interest in making openshot work in puppy.
Actually, the author has packaged it in deb and states that it works only in ubuntu. He (the author) also made debs of some dependencies which must all be installed before installing open. However, the installation relies heavily on apt-get to install other dependencies as well and they only show up when one tries to run the program in console. Yes, it depends heavily on python too. Nevertheless, I managed to undeb it and the dependency packs and made pets which I installed whilst trying to solve the dependencies saga that followed. Currently, I'm stuck at not being able to make it detect goocanvas presence. I have tried many goocanvas libs but I still get the error saying no module by name goocanvas is present.

Hope this helps.
smil99.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

goocanvas presence. I have tried many goocanvas libs but I still get the error saying no module by name goocanvas is present.
oh sounds just like my saga trying to get python based audio aps working.
Radical approach..install ubuntu.
In my case I boot windows for serious video editing and music creation.

mike

smil99

#12 Post by smil99 »

I posted the following in the lupu thread but I guess it is better to have it here to rejuvenate this thread which is specifically about making openshot work in puppy. I am sure it will get more exposure and attention here than in the lupu thread where the main focus is to thrash show-stopper bugs.

So here we go:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi playdayz,
Thanks for your interest in Openshot. Actually, I am able to make previous versions of openshot ( versions 9.5.4 and 1.0.0) work in both puppy 4.3.1 as well as upup458. The following are the steps I took to make these versions work:
1. make sure ffplay can play videos
2. Installed full python-2.5.2 (about 16MB) from the forums.
3. Installed goocanvas (the module must be in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages folder with the libgoocanvas in /usr/lib)
4. Installed the following packages from openshot site:
(i) openshot-x264_0.67.1173-1_i386.deb,
(ii) openshot-frei0r_1.1.22-1_i386.deb,
(iii) openshot-ffmpeg_git-2623d8f-1_i386.deb and
(iv) openshot.deb

5. After installing above openshot packages, make sure the following modules are also in the the site-packages folder: _mlt.so, mlt.py and mlt_wrap.o. If they are not, find them and copy them into that folder.

Open a console and type
# python
and then
# import mlt
If no errors are shown, then the mlt python bindings were installed properly.

6. Open another console and type
# melt
followed by
# 'melt -query "producers"
A list of producers will be shown and amongst these, avformat MUST be one of them. This is very crucial since the non presence of avformat in the producers list will render openshot unusable.

Notes:
1.Openshot is supposed to start by typing 'python openshot'. However, I am not able start it this way. Instead, I start it by the following command at the console:
# /usr/share/openshot/openshot.py
This will work when openshot is in the folder specified. If not, make sure you know where openshot was installed and execute the appropriate command.

2. There may be situations when open shot will not start even after doing all the above. This might necessitate the installation of the following:
(i) pycairo
(ii) xdg
(iii) libSDL

3. Also, when the neccessary plugins like the mlt plugins and freiOr plugins have not been installed in correct folders, openshot may not start. Ideally, folders of these plugins must be found in /usr/local/lib after installation. However, there are times that I have had to move them to /usr/lib before they are recognized.

The problem:
Openshot 1.1.3 which is the latest version of openshot seems to have been built dependent on newer mlt libraries (version 0.5.4). This means there must be precisely, ubuntu lucid versions of ffmpeg with ffplay capability and numerous ubuntu lucid libs such as libavformat, libavdevice, libavcodec, libavfilter, etc. The list can be long depending on what one already has installed and they will be shown during the testing of ffplay and mlt. It also expects the presence of python 2.6.

Well, I have also been able to make openshot 1.1.3 start on lupu114 but can't import any video! To the best of my knowledge, I think this is due to incompatibility of ffmpeg already in lupu and ffplay that gets installed when one tries to upgradel ffmpeg from ubuntu lucid repository. The end result is ffplay doesn't work as expected and as such avformat is not present in the producers list when I execute
# 'melt -query "producers"

Conclusion
It is possible to have openshot work in puppylinux and its derivatives. Needs the guys with indepth knowledge of tweaking who have also got the interest in video-editing for puppylinux. If latest ffmpeg can be compiled with ffplay enabled I am sure openshot may work. I consider myself as a user who has little knowledge in this area and I hope the explanations given above are clear enough to make someone have a go at it.

Kudos to all our developers, testers and users as well as the master-brain Barry K.
Last edited by smil99 on Mon 24 May 2010, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

smil99

Openshot works in lupu499!

#13 Post by smil99 »

I have been able to make openshot 1.0.0 work in lupu 499 (the latest version of openshot is still problematic due to dependency issues). Should work in the lupu RC5 and probably, quirky too.

1. Install python 2.5.2 from the forums.
2. All the following files must be installed in the order presented:
(i) ffplay.pet
(ii) libgoocanvas.pet
(iii) openshot-frei0r_1.1.22-1_i386.pet
(iv) openshot-mlt_0.4.3-1_i386.pet
(v) openshot-python.pet
(vi) openshot-x264_0.67.1173-1_i386.pet
(vii) openshot_1.0.0-1_all.deb

Cheers.

smokey01

#14 Post by smokey01 »

smil99,

Now that you seems to have things worked out how about putting a pet together which includes all dependencies. I think a lot of people ill be happy with Openshot as it does look quite good.

It might even allow me to edit some of my 1080p videos

Thanks

smil99

#15 Post by smil99 »

smokey01,

Thanks for showing interest.
Below is the link to all-in-one openshot pet.

openshot_plus_deps-1.0.0.pet

Cheers.

smil99

#16 Post by smil99 »

If you are not using lupu, download and install this pet which contains some extra libs to make ffplay and hence openshot 1.0.0 work.

ffplay_extra_libs

Cheers.

Note:
Above link has been corrected due to wrong file structure in the former. If you have already downloaded the previous pet, my apologies. Download once again to correct the anomaly.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

Many thanks :)
I was using Openshot in Ubuntu yesterday.
I was able to create a family birthday video
with a story, lighten the film, fade in and out
and export to a 200MB ogg video
(yeah I know it is big - this is video)

It might use python but this software works
(I like works)

However . . . :oops:

Could not get it working from menu on my Lucid 5 . . .
'openshot' did not work from command line
There is a python file here:
/usr/bin/openshot

How do you run python?
How do I run the enclosed file?
Is it the right one?

Puppy small
Programs Big
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

smil99

#18 Post by smil99 »

Hi Lobster,
Does typing

#python

at the console give the following:

Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Mar 10 2007, 13:06:27)
[GCC 3.4.4] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

If not, check /usr/bin to make sure you have 'python2.5' and 'python' in there. The latter must be be a symlink to the former.

Cheers.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#19 Post by Lobster »

I am getting this (I forgot to install python but now have the one suggested by Smokey)

Code: Select all

# python
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Mar  1 2008, 13:52:45) 
[GCC 4.2.3] on linux2
I am very quickly getting this (normally when playing a video - which does not play properly anyways) - may uninstall and install again . . .

Code: Select all

# openshot
Added /usr/share/openshot to system path
--------------------------------
   OpenShot (version 1.0.0)
--------------------------------
/usr/share/openshot/windows/SimpleGladeApp.py:340: GtkWarning: gtk_toolbar_set_icon_size: assertion `icon_size != GTK_ICON_SIZE_INVALID' failed
  return gtk.glade.XML(self.glade_path, root, domain)
A new frmMain has been created
on_tlbPlay_clicked called with self.tlbPlay
Segmentation fault
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

smil99

openshot 1.1.3 works in lupu!

#20 Post by smil99 »

Hi all
I have managed to make openshot 1.1.3 run in lupu 5. All the following pets must be installed to make it work.

1. ffmpeg-0.5.2.pet : This ffmpeg contains ffplay. However, video output is black and white!
2. mplayer-1.0rc3.pet : The color is restored after installing this from playdayz. Playdayz, any idea why this is so? Bonus: you get mplayer capability by installing this.
3. gnome-mplayer-Lucid.pet : Not really needed but gives you mplayer gui. Also from playdayz.
4. libgoocanvas-3.4.0.pet
5. openshot_frei0r-1.pet : Made from lucid frei0r-1 plugins.
6. openshot_mlt-0.5.4.pet : Also from lucid repository. Includes melt and all the necessary libmlts
7. python_minimal-2.5.pet : Obtained this minimal python from the forum (can't recollect the source though) and added the necessary modules and files (mlt, goocanvas, cairo, gtk, and xdg, etc)
8. openshot-1.1.3.pet : This is the latest openshot with a lot of improvement over the previous ones. For example, it now has undo and redo buttons.

Might work on other versions of puppy but first back up any files related to ffmpeg like libavformat, libavdevice, libavcodec, etc ... or test it first on another partition with fresh install (frugal is easiest) of your favourite puplet.

Cheers.

smil99.
Last edited by smil99 on Tue 15 Jun 2010, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.