Need SMC2662W V.3 USB wifi driver

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
sulemasc

Need SMC2662W V.3 USB wifi driver

#1 Post by sulemasc »

I tried NDIS warpper and it seemed to work, the driver installed off the XP file, and ''ndiswrapper -l' showed it as there and hardware present. But dmesg showed screens of errors (if they would help I'll post them but maybe not necessary). So I did some research and I think that atmelwlandriver-3.4.1.1.tar.bz2 is supposed to work - these are old b wifi cards that are surplus but pupget doesn't like it when other install directories are chosen and aborts. I'm pretty sure this driver works and I'd like some assistance from anyone who knows how to best get the atmel driver to work in Puppy 1.0.7+ for this card. Thanks, pls help mark using ex pee.

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

For USB adaptors with Atmel chipsets the BerliOS driver is a better choice. These drivers are already contained in Puppy, but the documentation with my wifi driver downloads will help you set up these drivers -
http://mymirrors.homelinux.org/puppy/wi ... 503_README

Ignore the part about installing the drivers, because they're already installed.

sulemasc

SMC2662W V.3 USB wireless wifi help

#3 Post by sulemasc »

I tried what you stated on the link, tempestuous. I don't get any errors after typing modprobe line, and dmesg registers the device but it doesn't show up in ifconfig. Also it doesn't show up in Puppy's control panel, usb info- it's still listed as unknown device even though dmesg shows the following:

hub.c: new USB device 00:01.3-2, assigned address 8
usb.c: USB device 8 (vend/prod 0xd5c/0xa002) is not claimed by any active driver.
at76_usbdfu.c: USB Device Firmware Upgrade (DFU) handler v0.12beta23-static loading
at76c503.c: Generic Atmel at76c503/at76c505 routines v0.12beta23-static
at76c503-fw_skel.c: Atmel at76c503 (RFMD) Wireless LAN Driver v0.12beta23-static loading
usb.c: registered new driver at76c503-rfmd

Any suggestions? As far as I can understand if ifconfig only shows eth0 (the internal sis ethernet card) and l0, then the wireless card isn't yet fully recognized or else wlan0 would be listed and it isn't. Mark

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

"ifconfig" only displays interfaces that are "up".
"ifconfig -a" will display ALL interfaces.
After loading your module ("modprobe at76c503-rfmd") you can make your wlan0 interface active even before it has been configured like this -
ifconfig wlan0 up
Now "ifconfig" should display the interface, and being "active" the interface is now accessible (in theory) to the WifiAccessGadget.

Don't worry about Puppy's control panel, just follow the configuration commands in the README and all will be well.

sulemasc

SMC2662W V.3 USB wireless wifi help

#5 Post by sulemasc »

Tempestuous - to clarify - I was typing in ifcong -a after modprobe command and there is no wlan0 there listed, so of course typing in ifconfig wlan0 up just returns error about unknown device.

I'm familiar with manually setting up wireless connections using Puppy, configuring WEP and using WAG I'm just trying a different card and hitting this roadblock. Can you think of any reason why wlan0 is not being registered? Any other ideas? To clarify all I'm doing is booting Puppy opening rxvt, typing in modprobe at76c503-rfmd, then dmesg, then ifconfig wlan0 up, and getting the error as there is no wlan0.

Thanks,
Mark

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

Oops, just found on the web that your SMC2662W V.3 has the Atmel+RFMD/Accton chipset, so your module should be at76c503-rfmd-acc, not at76c503-rfmd. Looks like I might need to update the README file.

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

I possibly did not make myself clear that I was suggesting you try "modprobe at76c503-rfmd-acc". This module is already in Puppy.
I should clarify that it's not actually necessary to install my BerliOS at76c503 package because Puppy already contains an older version of these drivers, but of course my at76503_README is useful as a HOWTO.

If still no success, it's remotely possible that my driver package may work better than Puppy's version, but if you decide to add my package make sure you manually delete all the old drivers in /lib/modules/2.4.29/net/wireless/at76c503/ because the file names in my new package are different, so won't overwrite the old ones.

A better option if Puppy's at76c503-rfmd-acc doesn't work would be to install my atmelwlandriver package ... this is also compatible with your SMC2662W V.3. Download these -
atmelwlan-3.4.1.1.tar.gz
atmelwlan-connect
atmelwlan_README

For your adaptor you would need to do "modprobe usbvnetr".

sulemasc

#8 Post by sulemasc »

Thanks for all the info Tempestuous- I don't have the SMC card at home to try it (dang!) but I will post results next week after I try your suggestions.
Mark

sulemasc

Puppy's built in driver works!

#9 Post by sulemasc »

typed in modprobe at76c503-rfmd-acc and this time dmesg does show a mac address and wlan0. WAG works fine and autoconnects- thankyou Tempestuous for the info - the SMC2662W V.3 is in action and a great choice seeing that I got it for free. You Pupsters have been such a help for this newbie! Guess it's time to tackle the next challenge..
Mark