Conexant hsf winmodem woes

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Dan99

Conexant hsf winmodem woes

#1 Post by Dan99 »

I just downloaded Puppy Linux yesterday. It works great except for my winmodem. I downloaded the hsf dotpup and can't get it to work. When I run hsfconfig, it detects my modem but then it says "this package does not contain prebuilt modules suitable for your system" and will not install the driver. I have read all the posts related to this conexant driver and am stuck.

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

But have you read all the threads as well as Barry's advice to rip out that worthless piece of junk and use a proper modem?!
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... 15&start=0

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Sorry about Sage, Dan. If you've read many posts about Winmodems in this forum you must be familiar with his prejudice. :lol:

We'll probably need more information in order to help you. I'm afraid I don't know enough about Linux to be helpful, but I'm sure someone who does will be along shortly.

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

Sorry about Flash, Dan. I was lucky enough to get solid, professional advice about modems early in my career and was smart enough to accept it. Never looked back. You'll find from your reading in these columns that the same advice is given by Barry, the originator of Puppy, as well as really experienced IT professionals like Jonathan and Mark, for example. Just a couple of screws to remove the case from your PC, one screw to remove the internal modem; replace the case and you'll feel a whole lot better!

babbs

#5 Post by babbs »

Dan,

As you can see with Sage and Flash, the debate over using internal vs. external modems can run pretty emotional, with solid up-standing citizens on each side of the issue.

History: At one time modems contained their own controller chips. This was true for both internal and external modems. Internal modems gained favor by not being seen and not requiring an additional power source. To the end user, this advantage was cosmetic. The disadvantage was that as time went on, the makers of internal modems began to design their equipment to share the computer's CPU power through Windows-based processes, allowing the manufacturers to remove modem controller chips from internal modems. Thus, the term "Winmodem" was born, they are also called software modems. With drivers, some Winmodems will work with Linux.

I don't know if your situation allows for the purchase of an external (hardware) modem. If it does, then obtaining one would be a great way to break away from hardware that is operating system dependant.

If you are not interested in buying another modem (or not interested at this time), then there are things that can be done to see if your present modem will work. I'd recommend that you read the HSF dotpup thread and check out the "Linmodems" for more information. If you are still unable to get your modem to work, then by time you've read them, you will be able to provide enough additional information that we can help you further.

Babbs

HSF dotpup thread: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2258
Linux Winmodem Support site: http://www.linmodems.org/

outcydr

#6 Post by outcydr »

hey y'all

dan: i am pretty new to this too and the first time i saw that text

"this package does not contain prebuilt modules suitable for your system"

it threw me but after several tries i just waited and it will go ahead and install. it might take a few minutes. if it doesn't then i don't know.

now my problem as i posted in another thread:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5270
was that it had to be redone after each reboot in a hard drive install.
i was using empty crust version so i thought maybe it had to do with something maybe missing. in the meantime i have downloaded the full version and tried it.

something i didn't do before was try it just running the cd - i just installed it to hd. ok then. with the full version (probably with empty crust too- haven't tried it) after installing hsf modem and rebooting numerous times with the cd my modem is always there. but when i install to hard drive it will not stay. i don't know why not? possibly something to do with pup001?

please advice me.

Dan99

#7 Post by Dan99 »

Thanks for trying guys, but none of the replies here told me anything I didn't already know. I'm fully aware that winmodems suck, but my computer is a laptop so replacing the winmodem with a hardware one is impossible. I suppose I could get a hardware external modem but I don't want to carry more hardware, my laptop is already heavy enough.

When I run hsfconfig, it detects my modem and asks me to select a country, and then the last thing it says is This package does not contain pre-built modules suitable for your system and then Please obtain the appropriate variant of this package for your system or try the generic RPM or tar version and then the installation exits to the command prompt. If I type cnxtcfg it will say "no hcf/hsf modem found". Could it be that the hsf dotpup won't work with Puppy 1.08? Or is the problem something else?

babbs

#8 Post by babbs »

Dan,

I'm sorry that things haven't worked out for you so far. I think your last post was the first time you indicated that you were working with a laptop. Believe it or not, sometimes its the little details that get ya.

As I mentioned in another thread ( http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=6528 ), my laptop has a modem that will never work with any flavor of Linux. The solution that I ended up going with was a 3Com PC Card (see thread link) for under US$20. I just leave it in the slot and use it when needed. Since I still have XP on the hard drive of this laptop, I disabled the onboard modem in the hardware profile and use the 3Com one exclusivly.

I'd love to help you more, but we've reached (over reached) the extent of my knowledge in this area. Hopefully, someone else can come to the rescue.

Babbs