USB2 still boots slow - does not use USB 2.0 driver?

Using applications, configuring, problems
NickBiker

USB2 still boots slow - does not use USB 2.0 driver?

#1 Post by NickBiker »

Hi

I wondered if anyone knew if when Puppy boots from USB, if it is using the USB 2.0 driver (usb_uhci?) - I recently changed from a slower device to a USB 2.0 memory stick and the boot speed when reading files is the same!

The files vmlinuz and rootfs seem to load very slow?

Later on the Kernel loads the faster module, but I am not sure this is the case duing boot. The rc.modules uses scanmodules - but I have the feeling that this is after the above files have been loaded?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Nick

See my Puppy webcam Guide at:
www.moyo.me.uk/pupplinux

NickBiker

Re: USB Boot - not USB 2.0?

#2 Post by NickBiker »

It seems that the syslinux boot loader uses the default BIOS for USB, which is almost certainly USB 1.x for compatibility.

I suggest that perhaps a developer considers making the initial fiole system tiny/empty that is loaded by the BIOS, then load the fast USB drivers and load in the file system. This will really speed up USB booting. Any takers?

Thanks!
Nick

See my Puppy webcam Guide at:
www.moyo.me.uk/pupplinux

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I just bought a high-speed 1 GB flash memory and a motherboard with USB2, to try with Puppy. I hope someone implements your suggestion. Perhaps pakt could add it to his WakePup.

babbs

#4 Post by babbs »

Not science (just memory), but I seem to recall a huge difference when I upgraded my USB 1.1 ports to USB 2.0. My imagination? I don't know...