I'm being asked for a password

Booting, installing, newbie
3rdalbum

I'm being asked for a password

#1 Post by 3rdalbum »

I'm testing Puppy Linux using the MacBochs emulator, and after I'm asked where my puppyXXX file is, it then asks me for a password.

I simply don't know what the password is. After an incorrect guess, it asks for the login name (which of course is "root"), and then continues to ask for a password.

Every couple of seconds, it says "Login timed out after 60 seconds" then asks for a password again.

I was under the impression that Puppy didn't need a password?

3rdalbum

Also...

#2 Post by 3rdalbum »

(I'm running the multisession CD from the .iso file, and MacBochs says it's emulating a 586 with 64 megs of RAM).

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

I've not had this happen to me, but it has happened before to others. From what I've read it usually indicates a corrupt pup file.

NMN

#4 Post by NMN »

I have the same problem... did you find the solution? :oops:

regards

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

3rdalbum, you're so far out there, running multisession Puppy from a 586 emulator on a Mac, it's hard to guess what might be the problem. :)

NMN, when you previously tried to boot Puppy unsuccessfully, it may have started to put a pup001 file on your hard drive somewhere. If so, the Puppy CD now sees that file and realizes that it can't use it. For some reason, when that happens Puppy asks for a password. If you have an OS that will boot, try looking around on your hard drive for a "pup001" file, and delete it if you find it.

You should be able to boot the (non-multisession) Puppy live CD with boot option 4. Have you tried that?

NMN

#6 Post by NMN »

I have looked for that file... and nothing :(

I will try to burn another CD.. but is weird :?