gtkftpd FTP server bug

Please post any bugs you have found
papaschtroumpf

gtkftpd FTP server bug

#1 Post by papaschtroumpf »

The actual bug:
installed it with pupget and it didn't install a menu item for it.
I couldn't find an entry, commented or otherwise in .fvwm95rc

more comments:
It has some stuff in French in it (the window tiltle, uses "utilisateurs" instead of "users"). No problem, I understand French, but that might put off some users.

sourceforge has version 1.0.4 this is 1.0.0 according to the help button

when I tried to connect to it as an anonynous user from windows explorer on another machine it quit with a "Segmentation fault"

Maybe it's time to upgrade or look for something better (vsftpd is an obvious candidate but I don't know how big it is). Maybe we could try by building version 1.0.4 first. I got the tarball and it's pretty unclean, even includes a number of .swp files and other garbage.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

No, it is 1.0.4 in Puppy.
I do vaguely recall someone else reporting they weren't very impressed with gtkftpd ...they may have found something else, perhaps a search on "gtkftpd" in the old forum might dredge up some useful info.

papaschtroumpf

#4 Post by papaschtroumpf »

I have just started looking at troll-tftp as an alternative.
It looks like puppy doesn't use am inet or xinet daemon is that correct?
troll-tftp is designed to be ran from inet and I wonder if it could be a problem.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Right, no inet.
...as I don't even know what it does!

papaschtroumpf

#6 Post by papaschtroumpf »

inetd/xinetd is a "super daemon" that listens for incoming connections and decides which program needs to handle them. That way you don't have 10 different programs in memory waiting for connections that may never come.
Once the relevant program is notified, inetd gets out of the way.

a lot os server daemons are designed to be called from inetd, so calling them from the command line doesn't work. There are other "non-daemon" ways to call those program (there is a utitlity called tcpserver that does that I believe) but that would increase the weight of the server.

I'll keep looking for a better ftp server.

EDIT: I found a few that will run fine under VL5STD so now I need to see if they will work in puppy.

papaschtroumpf

#7 Post by papaschtroumpf »

I'm going to concentrate my efforts on BetaFtpd (http://betaftpd.sourceforge.net/) it seems a perfect fit for puppy, small (20K) and memory efficient. You won't be able to run a hight traffic public server but that's not the idea.

PaulR

#8 Post by PaulR »

I've been using FREESCO of late and it uses pureftp. Not sure of size but as FREESCO runs off a floppy the command line version must be fairly small. I believe there is a GUI version too.

Either way it seems pretty reliable so far (only handles about 5MB of data a day though via a direct dial-in connection)

http://www.pureftpd.org/

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

Anway, the matter is settled, thanks to papasmurf (that's a name I can remember!). Pup 1.0.4 will have betaftpd.

PaulR

#10 Post by PaulR »

The only downside is that betaftp is not being actively developed (as far as I can see). IMHO anything that could present a security problem should be avoided, especially if it can be done automatically without the user needing to tweak. I'd imagine pureftp is pretty secure since it's in FREESCO which is all about secure networking. Just a thought.