Thunderbird 8.0 Released and Eudora OSE 1.0 on way out

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
scsijon

Thunderbird 8.0 Released and Eudora OSE 1.0 on way out

#1 Post by scsijon »

Unfortunately, with the release of Firefox8 and the upgrades to Mozilla and cleanup of unused files it is doing, you will find that your Eudora is beginning to fail.

However as both Eudora and Thunderbird use a common Mail directory (/root/.thunderbird) not all is lost. Plus Thunderbird has evolved to the stage that I't's not that different and changing over is relatively easy.

The Thunderbird Pet can be found on my website at http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/pets ... rd-8.0.pet and should work with all puppy versions.

regards
scsijon

--------------------
I am pleased to announce that Eudora OSE V1.0 has reached release.

Sorry for the delay, but a problem or two has had to be fixed.

For 431 users, the version can be found on my site untill ppm is updated.

For 5.1 / 5.2 users, I have managed to create a working Eudora OSE V1.0 (lucid) with luci246 that I am happy with (no problems found for new users/installers).

They can both be found on my site at: http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy_eudora.html. It will appear in the ppm soon.

For Wary Users, I have not been able to get a working package so far, I suspect something is missing so are working through each individual package requirement to see what's been left out. Consider it a w.i.p. with a Jan 5 deadline. - update - problem is missing dependancies of dbus and dbuslib, dealing with that now, they will appear on my site until ppm'd

For ALL existing Eudora users, you should backup/copy your hidden /root/.thunderbird directory for safety, then you can either uninstall the old RC1/2 versions and install this one, or just install this one over what is already there as it's smart enough to "update".

all problems to the bugs thread please, not here.

----------------------------------------------------
Eudora OSEv1 RC2 has been built and tested through to completion.

It can be installed over a rc1 pet (usual caveat here) as it only alters the /opt/eudora directory content and not your /root/.thunderbird

It should start to appear in the tree soon and i'll put links here when they appear.

versions built so far are for/with:
- 4.3.1/2
- wary
-squeeze/zen

If you want others please ask (with reason please why a current one won't do, as testing is quite thorough and takes time) and see what I can do to add it.

regards
scsijon

-----------------------------------------------------------
RC1

I shall put the link details here (as it seems the standard) for the .pet's as soon as I have them setup.

rc1 .pet is found here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ges-lucid/

I can't find any problems myself.

Please use the bug page if you do as both myself and the eudora group are monitoring that topic, not this one.

just a note that i'm now working on the rc2

We are only expecting the one rc as the team that handles Eudora IS known for longgggggggggggg beta runs, in this case there was 9.

please use the bugs section and the Eudora OSE1.0rc1 Topic if you have problems.
link is: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=432509

thanks
scsijon
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm having a go with the new Eudora beta (8.0b7) to make a .pet but I have a question or two to start with.

http://www.eudora.com/betas/

1- Where do we install Puppy Applications? By default the packages are going into /usr/local/eudora/eudora and /usr/local/bin/eudora. Are these suitable or do I need to change this?

2- For some reason I can't find a list of 4.3.1 components on my system. Where do I look?
I need to know what of the following are met.

Software Requirements
- Please note that Linux distributors may provide packages for your distribution which have different requirements.

o GTK+ 2.10 or higher
o GLib 2.12 or higher
o Pango 1.14 or higher
o X.Org 1.0 or higher
* For optimal functionality, we recommend the following libraries or packages:
o NetworkManager 0.7 or higher
o DBUS 1.0 or higher
o HAL 0.5.8 or higher
o GNOME 2.16 or higher // not sure if needed, shall be writing to them on this one.

Or is someone already at it!

regards and thanks
scsijon
Last edited by scsijon on Wed 30 Nov 2011, 00:35, edited 12 times in total.

scsijon

#2 Post by scsijon »

ok, no answers so consider this my working project.

It's installed, but have found a problem already for them. :lol:

I still need help please with where I can find a list of the versions of libraries for the release (4.3.1).

thanks
scsijon

sikpuppy

#3 Post by sikpuppy »

scsijon wrote:ok, no answers so consider this my working project.

It's installed, but have found a problem already for them. :lol:

I still need help please with where I can find a list of the versions of libraries for the release (4.3.1).

thanks
scsijon
Install into /usr not /usr/local :P
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

o GNOME 2.16 or higher // not sure if needed, shall be writing to them on this one.
I hope this is not required
Gnome is available for Puppy but it adds considerable 'weight'

Good luck I used Eudora for many years
but never found an effective spam eater - tried many
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

scsijon

#5 Post by scsijon »

Note to everyone interested.

I have installed V8b7, but they have a problem to solve with Eudora at the present. There seems to be a problem with the password storage module.

First time it's used to connect a user and their mailbox, it's suppose to ask for your mailbox password. This is not happening. They have a bug report on it and are suppose to be working on it. When it's fixed I shall restart and comment here further.

btw, the new Eudora (V8) ties in with Firefox and Thunderbird Extensions using Penelope. It's fast and oss.

ps to lobster, no gnome doesn't seem to be needed, infact, other than the two libraries needed by Firefox 3.5 (a prerequisite), everything is now supplied from within the package.

regards to all
scsijon

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

but never found an effective spam eater - tried many
stop leaving yer email on the web...google it

mike

scsijon

#7 Post by scsijon »

we are a little ahead with the password problem as they have got thunderbird 3.0 working properly (they had the same problem).
I've annoyed someone I suspect (maybe even a few people) in both the Eudora and T.thunderbird groups and hope they get it sorted out soon.

I shall have to look at a referance for making icons appear on screen and menu next as the actual instal is quite straight forward after downloading a copy. lt does look like that installation and upgrade to F.firefox 3.5 does take care most of the external requirements.

more as absorbed
regards
scsijon

scsijon

#8 Post by scsijon »

just a little note that Eudora 8 beta8 is out, working and available, however there are still a problem or two still in hand. Hopefully beta9 will have the worst fixed as thunderbird has had theirs done and eudora follows.

regards to all

Jim1911

#9 Post by Jim1911 »

scsijon wrote:I shall have to look at a referance for making icons appear on screen and menu next as the actual instal is quite straight forward after downloading a copy. lt does look like that installation and upgrade to F.firefox 3.5 does take care most of the external requirements.
You will need to create an eudora.desktop file and place it in /usr/share/applications, just use one that is in the menu category that you desire as an example, then run fixmenus from a console and restart X. If you want it on the desktop just place a copy of your new eudora.desktop on the desktop.

EDIT: You will probably need to place an eudora.png icon in /usr/share/pixmaps and be sure to include the complete path in your eudora.desktop file for both the exec and icon entries.

Looking forward to your .pet
Last edited by Jim1911 on Thu 08 Apr 2010, 14:15, edited 2 times in total.

scsijon

#10 Post by scsijon »

Beta 9 os out
and to me except for a problem with message size for the default user (stuck on 50K still) everything seems to be working OK although there are a few niggles (mainly I think on how it words things) in it's mailserver setup .

Anyone in a hurry to use it can download the package in bz2 format from http://www.eudora.com/betas/

I installed it under /usr/local and dragged a copy of the exe onto the desktop for now (appears as a text behind screen).

I shall do it "properly" as a pet with icon, etc. when it's either released or the end of April has ocurred without another beta release.

regards to all

scsijon

#11 Post by scsijon »

except for the default user size problem (non destructive just a royal pain in the neck and I have a workaround that can be done immediately after installation) it looks like I shall be packaging Eudora8beta9 next week. I now have an icon and am having a look at the rest.

must say that some of the new E8 additions against E7 aren't bad at all.

scsijon

DMcCunney

#12 Post by DMcCunney »

scsijon wrote:except for the default user size problem (non destructive just a royal pain in the neck and I have a workaround that can be done immediately after installation) it looks like I shall be packaging Eudora8beta9 next week. I now have an icon and am having a look at the rest.

must say that some of the new E8 additions against E7 aren't bad at all.
How much difference is there between it and simply getting a Linux build of Thunderbird 3.X and installing the Penelope extension?
______
Dennis

scsijon

#13 Post by scsijon »

for Dennis - no problem to use Thunderbird and Penelope if you want, a straight install and follow directions in the readme. But they are totally different packages.

rest - have left building a pre-release pet as Eudora is suppose to be doing a final pre-release build by end of may (may even be a rc1) and as everything is suppose to be in the one package it will mean I only have to add icons, 1 link script and menu scripts. Have sorted out easiest way for the message file size problem is to turn it off, but that may be unnecessary as it is suppose to now be fixed?!

DMcCunney

#14 Post by DMcCunney »

scsijon wrote:for Dennis - no problem to use Thunderbird and Penelope if you want, a straight install and follow directions in the readme. But they are totally different packages.
I have Thunderbird and Penelope, and have played with them a bit. Since the intent of Penelope is to make Thunderbird more like Eudora, my question is basically how much different Eudora 8 is from Thunderbird with Penelope.

I was never a heavy Eudora user, so I don't have a feel for the things that would still be different.
______
Dennis

Makoto

#15 Post by Makoto »

I'll have to admit I'm also curious, though I've even forgotten how different Eudora 8 is supposed to be from the previous version. Eudora 8 seems to fall a little by the wayside because people think it's just going to be Thunderbird + Penelope, or an equivalent.

I was a Eudora user - and to be honest, I probably would've preferred it if Qualcomm handed the source to other developers who could improve upon it, produce a Linux version, etc.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

prehistoric

interest in Eudora

#16 Post by prehistoric »

This is just a note to tell you I know several people (who would never post on a Puppy forum) for whom Eudora is essential. It is probably the last thing preventing them from switching, as the burden of security on Windoze is becoming a major drawback.

With a good browser, media player, and perhaps a word processor, this sounds like the basis for a niche distribution for people primarily interested in using a computer for email.

scsijon

#17 Post by scsijon »

Eudora 8 is basically an enhanced Eudora 7, those that use Eudora 7 for windows should be right at home with Eudora 8 As a puppy user, you can even just copy your settings,bookmarks,mailfiles across to your new id folder found under /root/.thunderbird and be up and going straight away.

It's not a Thunderbird clone at all, it just uses some of it's bits through Penelope into Mozilla.

I'm awaiting the next beta, maybe even the first official prerelease before .pet'ing it as most problems have been solved. A pet will be created then. Most problems in the last two have been security related with a few "minor" fixes incorperated, which is why I wasn't willing to put my name against a pet. Eudora are known to have many betas before release so that what is finally released doesn't come back at them.

Please be patient.

and regards to all
scsijon
ps Fox+Eud=a good internet mix for moving win users as they seem happy with that

scsijon

#18 Post by scsijon »

Just a heads up

i've been promised a rc1 in the next two weeks to package.

they have decided (at this time) that the new Eudora will go back to be called version 1, not 8

you should see a package for 4.3.1 as soon as I can get it tested and out as I think I have got the eudora8.pet packaging right and will be cut and pasting the other bits across. Maybe a week later.

A 5 version should be out (if needed) once I have luci-207 installed.

regards
scsijon

then it will be up to you to tell me what's wrong.

Jim1911

#19 Post by Jim1911 »

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be checking it with Lucid since I hardly ever boot into 431 now.

Thanks,
Jim

scsijon

to quote the readme

#20 Post by scsijon »

I shall be building the .pet for 4.3.1 by the weekend
I hope to test it and have a release ready by monday

I shall then make one for luci209 when I am happy with it running on my box and release it hopefully next week sometime.

I shall put the link details at the top of the first page as it seems the standard, for the .pet's as soon as I have them setup.

We are only expecting the one rc as the team that handles Eudora IS known for longgggggggggggg beta runs, in this case there was 9.

please use the bugs section and the Eudora OSE1.0rc1 Topic if you have problems.
link: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=432509

thanks

scsijon

the start of the readme is below

==============================================================================
EUDORA OSE VERSION 1.0
==============================================================================

Eudora OSE is a mail and news application from Qualcomm based on the open source
Thunderbird client from Mozilla. It's *not* our intention to compete with
Thunderbird; rather, we want to complement it.

Qualcomm is committed to both preserving the Eudora user experience and to
maintaining maximum compatibility, for both developers and users, with
Thunderbird. It is our goal to build a single development community around
Thunderbird and Eudora, so that both mailers advance faster than they
previously have.

Whereas "Eudora OSE" is a branded version of Thunderbird with some extra
features added by the Eudora developers, "Penelope" is an extension (also
called an "add-on") that is used in Eudora OSE and can also be used with
Thunderbird. The Eudora OSE installer includes the corresponding version of
Penelope along with it so there is no need to install Penelope if you are
installing Eudora OSE. Most features in Penelope can be accessed when used with
Thunderbird, but there are a few that require Eudora OSE in order to work
correctly and it's not something that gets tested.

Sometimes in documentation there is a need to differentiate the older
versions of Eudora made by Qualcomm from current Thunderbird-based versions
of Eudora OSE. This will normally be done by labeling the older versions of
Eudora as "original Eudora" or "Classic Eudora".

The main web page for Eudora OSE/Penelope can be found at
<http://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope>.

We encourage people to help the progress of Penelope, whether you know how
to write code or not. This was one of the main drivers to our decision to
go open source with Eudora. More details can be found here:
<http://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope#Get_Involved>.