Can Puppy run webcam and music servers :?:

Booting, installing, newbie
yds

Can Puppy run webcam and music servers :?:

#1 Post by yds »

Hi! I'm a total newbie to Linux, but looking to learn. I have an old PII 266Mhz machine at home with 128MB RAM which I am going to install Puppy on and play with it. (Just installed it as a second OS on my Dell 4 laptop at work so I can play during the day too - don't tell my boss!!).

I run a webserver on a windows XP machine at home which serves streaming video. I also run Streamsicle and serve up my mp3's so I can listen to them at work or wherever I happen to be.

My question is, will I be able to install software on my linux puppy box which will do this? I'm not entirely clear on whether I am limited to software which is associated with Puppy, or if puppy will run any linux software I happen to find out there on the net.

Any advice is appreciated. :)

papaschtroumpf

#2 Post by papaschtroumpf »

as a general rule puppy will not run any software that you will find on the net.
some of it might but a lot of it won't.
puppy's small size doesn't allow it to support everything out there.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

Actually as I understand it, if you compile it for puppy it will run. A linux is a linux is a linux.

You need to compile in another distro as puppy does not have the tools.

Of course you will also have to compile and install all the dependencies and make sure that they don't conflict with the libraries included with Puppy.

At the end of the day you may end up with a fat puppy and you will ask yourself "Why did I choose Puppy?"

Remember that the Mission statement for puppy implies that it is meant to be a small distribution.

If you like puppy it's most likelly because it does what it intends to do and it does that very well.

If you really need to run applications that have heavy dependencies you may opt for a fat distro.

My take on it is: If it can be compiled without dependencies or with libraries already included in puppy and it still fits all in memory, welcome to puppy. If not, I'll run it on a different distribution.

#4 Post by Guest »

papaschtroumpf wrote:as a general rule puppy will not run any software that you will find on the net.
some of it might but a lot of it won't.
puppy's small size doesn't allow it to support everything out there.
Ok. See, I'm learning already. :wink: So as to my specific apps, is there anything available for puppy? I had a quick look through pupget and dotpup but nothing jumped out at me.

#5 Post by Guest »

I'll have a look at compiling python.cgi and give Edna a go.........prolly later tonight

#6 Post by Guest »

Ok here's a little python script that will stream mp3. Any web browser can be used as an interface.

Make sure you read the readme file after installing everthing is included,even a mini python interpreter, except the mp3's

#7 Post by Guest »

bladehunter wrote:Ok here's a little python script that will stream mp3. Any web browser can be used as an interface.

Make sure you read the readme file after installing everthing is included,even a mini python interpreter, except the mp3's
Hey bladehunter. Thanks. Where can I find the files you speak of though?

#8 Post by Guest »