Rerwin or Any1 able & Keen 2 Create a MiniCom.pet Please

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
Max Headroom

Rerwin or Any1 able & Keen 2 Create a MiniCom.pet Please

#1 Post by Max Headroom »

Rerwin or Any1 able & Keen 2 Create a MiniCom.pet Please.
I've been Trying 2 install minicom-2.2.tar.gz into the Latest Dingo 4.1.2, but apparently it is lacking a C Compiler, Like my CLI :lol: So I DownLoaded devx_412.sfs File to / & Configured the BootManager, ( Selected & Added it to the Rite hand pane, & UnChecked ignore... ReBooted, but what indication is there that the package has loaded? A Desktop icon? Or Menu Listing? ). Anyway when I Type cd /, press eNter, then tar -zxf minicom-2.2.tar.gz, Consult ReadMe File in the MiniCom-2.2 Folder it Created, Type ./configure as instructed from location /minicom-2.2 in RVXT Terminal Console, Still the same Result configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH. HELP Please Much as I'm Truly Keen 2 Learn How to install tar.gz Packages by CLI this Xsize is taking way Too Long, the Specimen PC in Question is 3 Days Ov'rdue, Just waiting on Me Resolving interNet Modem problem. :( Hardware is Pentium 1, 233 MHz MMX, 96 MB RAMemory, 2 x 2.1 GB Hard D' Drives, & Dynalink V1433VQH-R 33K ISA Modem, Error = No Carrier. Otherwise is there a Quick Fix 4 this? Also What is Stupid Mode? Thanx in Advance...

rerwin

#2 Post by rerwin »

Max,
Interesting project you have there. I have a PII 266MHz laptop that works well with puppy, including its built-in ISA soft-modem. Mine has a Lucent chip and works with the ltserial/ltmodem driver, but not automatically. However, I suspect yours is a "hardware" modem, similar to a 33.6 kbps PC Card that I also have. It does work (although only at 14.4 kbps so far), so there is hope for yours.

Now to your situation:

1. With your 96 MB of RAM, you should also have a swap partition, which you did not mention. What are your constraints as to modifying your hard dirve partitions? 160 MB would be good. That will improve performance.

2. The devx package works as is only with frugal installations, not full installations. Since you haven't said which you use, I assume it is a full installation, as that apparently is recommended for low-ram PCs. But frugal might be simpler to start. If performance is an issue, you can experiment later with "full". With frugal, devx must be at the partition level (/mnt/home), not "/" or in a puppy directory. For a full installation, the file contents must be copied to the top (/) directory, as you tried with the file itself.

3. However, before trying minicom, get the modem working in the standard Puppy environment, at least to the point where it is recognized. Puppy won't see it until you use PupDial to "probe" for it; it should appear as ttyS0 or ttyS1, I expect.

I hope this helps you.
Richard

Max Headroom

Thanx Richard 4 Y'r Prompt Reply

#3 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx Richard 4 Y'r Prompt Reply, Sorry I Omitted 2 Mention More Significant info 1st Time 1. Yes 196 MB Swap Partition on sdb1. 2. it is a Full install Primarilly because I've Never had Any Luck Creating / Configuring Grub whereas I'm rather more capable Editting / Commenting - Out on a Full install :) Altho I'd Certainly Love 2 Master Frugal Set - Up. 3. Yes PupDial Does See the Modem @ ttyS1, But when I Dial it Reports No Carrier, Any Further Suggestions Please... 8)
Edit Having Checked the Check Box for Check Carrier ( that I Never Previously had 2 Do ) it does sometimes connect, But then Drop connection a few minutes latter? I'm Confused :oops:
Last edited by Max Headroom on Sat 10 Jan 2009, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.

technosaurus

#4 Post by technosaurus »

I had issues with sfs files not loading up with the boot manager method so i thought hmmm I wonder if Puppy still looks for zdrv_XXX.sfs... turns out it does - I renamed my devx_412.sfs to zdrv_412.sfs and instant success with no save file required - this is great for developing .pets to work out of the box - for more help check out pet packaging 101
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

ttuuxxx

#5 Post by ttuuxxx »

here's your pet it includes the locals, if they were removed the package would be way smaller.
to start it, open a terminal and type minicom
enjoy
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Max Headroom

Thanx ttuuxxx

#6 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx ttuuxxx :)

mister_electronico

Hi one question

#7 Post by mister_electronico »

I'd download de minicom pet and installing, but I don't know if work...

because I setup everything, I type one character in the terminal, but the character no appear in the screen.....

I am working with Puppy 4.20 and never use minicon program.....

The Only I want to do is type one character in the terminal with echo in the screen, and send this character to the serial Port. Like do the Hyperterminal of windows.

Someone can help me ? Thanks.

Thanks everybody.