Zenity 2.20.1

Core libraries and systems
Liboicl

Zenity 2.20.1

#1 Post by Liboicl »

It's a tool that allows you to display Gtk+ dialog boxes from the command line and through shell scripts.
Compiled in Puppy 4.3.1
zenity-2.20.1.pet

vovchik

#2 Post by vovchik »

Dear Liboicl,

I compiled the zenity package some time ago - same version - but removed the /usr/share/gnome dir (2.3 MB unpacked) and /usr/share/locale files (1.5 MB), which are largely unnecessary, so that the total package weighs in at 220k and not 4.1 MB. It works perfectly without the fat. Do you want to repackage in a lightweight version - or should I? It doesn't matter, really, but a lot of users will not want a huge (multi-MB) package when 220k will give you the same "bang for the buck" (the two progs in /usr/bin and the files in /usr/zhare/zenity). Also you should strip the zenity binary in /usr/bin to reduce its size from 76k to 50k - there are no deleterious effects from running "strip zenity" before you package the pet. What happens is that a lot of debugging symbols get thrown out and are not needed by users. The zenity program itself requires libgnomecanvas, which may or may not be standard in Puppy. I suspect it isn't there in standard-issue Puppies, and, if my memory serves me right, carries along with it some other gnome dependencies. I don't remember exactly. There is also a "souped-up" zenity out there under another name - yad - that has only GTK dependencies (no Gnome). It requires, as a minimum, GTK+ 2.12.0, which is present in "latter-day" Puppies.

In any case, cheers and thanks for the compiles.

With kind regards,
vovchik

vovchik

#3 Post by vovchik »

Dear Liboicl,

I decided to package my stripped-down version while writing the earlier post. It was compiled it on 3.01, and has a dependency on libgnomecanvas-2.so.0.1400.0. If people have problems with this pet, using their existing libgnomecanvas, I have also attached the lib in question, which will also adjust two symlinks so they point to my lib.

With kind regards,
vovchik

PS. It may be worth our while to look at "yad", to avoid the libgnomecanvas dependency.
Attachments
zenity-2.20.1.pet
(92.42 KiB) Downloaded 1483 times

Liboicl

#4 Post by Liboicl »

Alright. I had just compiled this while trying to install dofus, which I failed at. I didn't even try stripping anything I just thought someone else might need it. Thanks for the info, though.

vovchik

#5 Post by vovchik »

Dear Liboicl,

Here is a nice little gui designer - zenitor - that makes use of zenity and gtkdialog. I found it on the Ubuntu French forum (http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/zenitor#pre-requis), and it could be of use to many of us. It would need translation and a bit of redesign of the installation code, since it wants to install in /opt (/usr/local would be more Puppy-like) and place icons in HOME$/.config/local/share/icons/hicolor. The gtkdialog bits would also have to reflect the Puppy name (gtkdialog3). Apart from that, a rather simple translation job (also for the names of functions in the script).

Any takers?

With kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
zenitor.jpg
(42.28 KiB) Downloaded 2225 times
Zenitor_2.1.2.tar.gz
(91.74 KiB) Downloaded 1017 times

Liboicl

#6 Post by Liboicl »

I'm looking into that. I have done some of the basic translation already.