1.0.8 alienx remaster cd kernel panic upon boot

Booting, installing, newbie
sulemasc

1.0.8 alienx remaster cd kernel panic upon boot

#1 Post by sulemasc »

I booted the 1.0.8 cd, setup video, sound, my ethernet card, internet browser, and then remastered the cd using alienx's remaster (not the fast) option, and burned the iso to cd using puppy. During the remastered cd boot sequence the last lines are:

freeing unused kernel memory:132K freed
warning unable to open an initial console
kernel panic: no init found
try passing init = option to kernel

I tried burning the 1.0.8cd twice, they both work fine, tried the remaster script twice with the same hangup on both cd's. Any reason why this isn't working? What am I doing wrong?
Mark

edit addon - I didn't read the instructions and chose a fat32 partition instead of ext2. It works fine.

Dougal

#2 Post by Dougal »

Isn't the script supposed to work only with 1.0.5 and 1.0.6? Or has someone updated it already?

sulemasc

#3 Post by sulemasc »

It seemed to work fine for me with a few catches. When I reloaded the remastered cd, burniso2cd wouldn't work because the scsi emulation was turned on, and you can't turn it off without rebooting which is a catch 22 with a remastered CDR but that's not really a big deal. Especially since I really should be getting a DVD burner and using multisession.

Dougal

#4 Post by Dougal »

there's a line in the script where scsiemul is turned on... try commenting it our and remastering again.
(it's something like "cat on > $WORKDIR/.../scsiemul" )