How to install Broadcom STA driver on Puppy 5

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
piratesmack

How to install Broadcom STA driver on Puppy 5

#1 Post by piratesmack »

Update: You can use the precompiled driver attached to the post below

I had some trouble getting this to build with the 2.6.33.2 kernel and thought maybe others are having trouble, too.

These instructions assume you have a 'frugal' install.
  • First, download the devx and kernel source SFS modules. You can connect to the internet wired or download the files from another computer

Add them to boot by going to Setup...Configure startup of Puppy...Choose which extra SFS files to load at boot up

Now reboot...

It seems the kernel source wasn't properly prepared for building extra modules, so do that with:

Code: Select all

( cd /usr/src/linux && make prepare )

Download the latest broadcom sta driver from here
    http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

Now extract it:

mkdir broadcom-sta && cd broadcom-sta
    tar xvf ../hybrid-portsrc-*.tar.gz

Build the module:

make

Install it:

make install
    depmod

Now you need to blacklist b43 and ssb, you can do that by going to Setup...Configure startup of Puppy...Blacklist a module

For some reason, the ssb module was still loading. So I had to add this to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

rmmod ssb
    modprobe -r wl
    modprobe wl

And reboot once more

The end
Last edited by piratesmack on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 23:19, edited 5 times in total.

jameskinds

#2 Post by jameskinds »

Would it be possible to post a compiled version of the drive?

Thanks in advance. :-)

piratesmack

#3 Post by piratesmack »

A pet package is attached

Instructions:
1) Install package
2) Blacklist b43/ssb
3) Restart computer

Tested/working for me on LupQ 511

Edit:

The following are delta patches that can be applied to the original lupu-XXX.iso to add Broadcom STA. These should work better than the pet package, but will need to be created for each new Puppy release. I will try to create them shortly after every release.

Latest version::
lupu-525.iso___lupu-525_bcmwlmod.iso.delta (MD5)
Apply to Lucid 5.2.5

Older versions:
lupu-520.iso___lupu-520_bcmwlmod.iso.delta (MD5)
Apply to Lucid 5.2

Instructions (for Puppy Linux):
-Download one of the delta files above and the corresponding "lupu-XXX.iso"
-Place both the delta and ISO file in the same folder
-Open the delta file and choose 'generate'
-Burn the generated 'lupu-XXX_bcmwlmod.iso' to a CD or install to a USB drive
Last edited by piratesmack on Sun 03 Apr 2011, 15:40, edited 6 times in total.

pzkfwg

Fantastic how-to!

#4 Post by pzkfwg »

I searched days long how to compile the drivers but somehow, the keywords were not the proper one so I found your guide after quite some days.

The replacement of "linux" by "generated" in "#include <linux/autoconf.h>" was all but evident for a newbie like me. How did you find out? Also, removing the b43 and ssb module was important for me too, but I had ohci_hcd that was depending on ssb, so I had to add it too to your loop in rc.local.

My WPC600N / Broadcom BCM4321 / BCM43XX / 4321 is now working great (adding some keywords here for Google :wink: )

piratesmack

Re: Fantastic how-to!

#5 Post by piratesmack »

I later figured out that the reason ssb still gets loaded even if you blacklist it is because it is loaded very early inside the initrd.

I also ran into the problem with ohci_hcd depending on ssb. A little annoying on my brother's laptop because his USB mouse doesn't work without ochi_hcd, but wl doesn't work when ssb is loaded.
pzkfwg wrote:The replacement of "linux" by "generated" in "#include <linux/autoconf.h>" was all but evident for a newbie like me. How did you find out?
'make' complained that it couldn't find 'linux/autoconf.h', so I looked at my kernel headers and noticed that autoconf.h was moved in the newer kernels. Broadcom actually has a patch on their site that fixes the header path now
http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/ ... _patch.zip
Last edited by piratesmack on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

arfis

#6 Post by arfis »

piratesmack

#7 Post by piratesmack »

I've rebuilt my pet package (see post above)

If you were having problems with the old package, you should try the new one.

Ed C.

Works for Acer Aspire One 533

#8 Post by Ed C. »

Thanks for this .pet solution! It worked perfectly for my new netbook, an Acer Aspire One 533, which comes with a Broadcom 4313 wireless. A lot of posts all over the net seem to think this hardware works with the older "43xx" or "b43Legacy" drivers, but it does not!

I was almost ready to give up on using my Puppy (my favorite linux) version 5.11 because neither the wired nor the wireless driver worked out of the box.

I copied it to a thumb drive and double-clicked it, and the driver loaded flawlessly from the "Connect" tool. (I had tried what I believe was an older version that failed, but this one worked.)

Thank you again for making me a happy puppy user.

piratesmack

#9 Post by piratesmack »

Thanks for testing.

I was unsure if the pet was working for anybody but me :)

dansole

quirky nop 1.2

#10 Post by dansole »

That's great work!
just what i needed.
installed seamlessly on puppy nop 1.2
thanks,
dan

edisonl

#11 Post by edisonl »

Hi piratesmack,

Someone recommended this post as a 'remedy' for my issues with wireless connection to download browser using puppy linux 5.2.

I gotten stuck till the steps of 'unTAR'

mkdir broadcom-sta && cd broadcom-sta
tar xvf ../hybrid-portsrc-*.tar.gz

Error Message: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now.

What I did was follow the link provided to download Broadcom driver in a pc that work for connection and transfered via thumb drive to the receving pc.

Not sure if I should go to the USB directory to Untar it, and have no idea how to go about it. hopefully you may want to provide some help. :)

DaDrivel

#12 Post by DaDrivel »

The .pet file workes fine for me on Lupu 5.11 =)
I had issues to get it working on 5.2.. though I'm not sure, where exactly the problem was. Anyways, thanks for providing the package :D

@edisonl:

Im not sure, if this helps, but:
Make sure, you downloaded the file at the parent directory of "broadcom-sta". And, when i downloaded the sourcecode, i recognized that the package isnt called "hybrid-portsrc-*.tar.gz" but "hybrid-portsrc_*.tar.gz"

Thanks again,
Greetings,
DaDrivel

edisonl

#13 Post by edisonl »

DaDrivel wrote:The .pet file workes fine for me on Lupu 5.11 =)
I had issues to get it working on 5.2.. though I'm not sure, where exactly the problem was. Anyways, thanks for providing the package :D

@edisonl:

Im not sure, if this helps, but:
Make sure, you downloaded the file at the parent directory of "broadcom-sta". And, when i downloaded the sourcecode, i recognized that the package isnt called "hybrid-portsrc-*.tar.gz" but "hybrid-portsrc_*.tar.gz"

Thanks again,
Greetings,
DaDrivel
hi DaDrivel,

Base on the instructions provided >> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55792, the installation failed Rolling Eyes

Instructions:
1) Install package
2) Blacklist b43/ssb
3) Restart computer

Step 1: Install Package
sdb1>> click on>> "Click Ok to Confirm...blaa bla bla">> Network Setup wizard>> under Wireless wl module, Device Description: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

Step 1 Outcome:
DONE Razz

Step 2: Blacklist b43/ ssb
2.1) Setup>> Configure Startup for puppy>> Click here to blacklist>> Look for B43/ SSB on the right lists click remove if found one (SSB/B43)
2.2) Manually run following command to remove ssb
rmmod ssb
modprobe -r wl
modprobe wl

Step2 Outcome:
DONE Laughing

Step3:Restart computer

Step3 Outcome:
DONE Very Happy

PS: I check my kernal version by running uname -r & confirm its version 2.6.33.2

Regards, Edison

DaDrivel

#14 Post by DaDrivel »

Ah, you used the .pet file now?
Well, another way to solve the problem ;)

I got this right.. You got it working now?
Just interested... Where was your problem compiling the module?
Im happy its working now :)

Bye,
DaDrivel

The.Scarecrow

#15 Post by The.Scarecrow »

With thanks to piratesmack and this thread my first attempt at using Puppy is a success. Due to an annoying bank problem I needed to change my Linux banking Distro and Puppy on a 2GB SD card seems an excellent solution. Once I am happy with the configuration I can use it with the “write protect switch lock

dadeo

#16 Post by dadeo »

Hi! Great board! Thanks for having me. :D

I have a Dell Mini 910 with a Broadcom wifi (presuming it's in the 4312 group but stamped on card is - BCM94312MCG - unsure what the 9 signifies, if anything). The only Linux that saw and used it was an Ubuntu live disk - 8.xx, I think and don't know the kernel. So far, no luck with puppy but have only tried Lighthouse so far. But I know the card works, at least.

I have latest: 5.2 ready to go onto a 2G USB drive. I think it supports the driver needed for the mini, the one linked to above: BCM4213 802.11b/g, I think. I tried using the posted .pet with Lighthouse

Well, back to the threads.

dadeo

It worked!!

#17 Post by dadeo »

Posting this via wifi on the little Inspiron Mini. 8)

Thanks to the instructions in this and related threads and especially to piratesmack, edisonl and The.Scarecrow for a fine follow-up. :mrgreen:

mill0001

#18 Post by mill0001 »

Hi piratesmack, using lupu-5.2 upgraded to luci252 on amd b-55 quad core @3.2 Ghz with 4 gigs ram. My card is a Netgear wn311b,chip is broadcom bcm43xg [14e4: 4329] (rev 01). The driver works but the network wizard reports the card as eth0 instead of wlan0. The connection comes up okay but drops after a few minutes, and then have to use wizard to set it up again. Any suggestions on how to correct this? ps: Installed Jemimah's Frisbee pet and that seems to hold the connection longer, but it's still dropping after a short while and have to reset it from setup dialogue again.

rarsa

#19 Post by rarsa »

Thank you piratesmack!

This is what makes Linux in general and Puppy in particular great! People that take the time to scratch and itch and in the process, help other people.

I have this laptop where I wasn't using Puppy as much as I wanted. The reason? this wacky wireless chipset.

I tried to compile it long ago, but I didn't have enough time to play, after that, I just gave up to do some other things.

Today I decided to find if someone else had luck with it, and found your post.

I'll be booting up Puppy on this laptop much more frequently.

Thanks again.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

piratesmack

#20 Post by piratesmack »

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I'm glad you have found this helpful.

For anybody interested, here is a small (about 3.4MB) Xdelta patch you can apply to the original lupu-520.iso to add support for Broadcom STA.

After applying the delta patch, your wifi should "just work".
Tested on my Dell mini with a bcm4312 (14e4:4315)

Download (md5sums)

For any devs interested, here is what I changed

This is similar to what jrb and tempestuous did for Puppy 4.3.1:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50570

edit: *DOWNLOADS UPDATED*
(I forgot to append the ID string to lupu_520.sfs and run depmod in the initrd)

@mill0001:
Sorry for the late reply.

Can you check for me if ssb is loaded? (that might be making your wifi disconnect)

lsmod | grep ssb
If ssb is refusing to unload, try the delta patch above. It patches ssb to not conflict with the Broadcom STA driver.