automate "scan as user" and "mount" in L

Booting, installing, newbie
carbking

automate "scan as user" and "mount" in L

#1 Post by carbking »

Following HOWTO : Share files and folders between Computers, I've put the following line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

smbmount //192.168.1.46/HPmp3 mnt/HPmp3

This gets me thru steps 1-7 of the LinNeighborhood portion of the HOWTO, but I still have to do steps 8 and 10 manually every time I boot up before I can access the folder over the LAN from a Windows XP machine.

Is there a way to automate these two steps:

8. Right click on the computer name/address and select "scan as user"

10. Right click in the share you want to use and click "mount" ?

Thanks!
Al

Adrian Fischer

#2 Post by Adrian Fischer »

Hello Carbking,

I could be wrong but...

create the share manually using the utility (cant think what its called ..) but after you have done the whole scan as user and mount thingy...in the menu across the top there is an option to export the mount script. Save that somehwere you can remember then go to etc/rc.local Work with me here as I am not a my puppy pc ...but in that file cut an copy the text from the mountscrip you save previoulsy. Then when next you boot the share is created automatically.

Did that answer the question? Sorry if it was vague but I have done it several times now on various machines and it does the trick.
Adrian Fischer
Brisbane, Australia

jmarsden

Re: automate "scan as user" and "mount"

#3 Post by jmarsden »

carbking wrote:Following HOWTO : Share files and folders between Computers, I've put the following line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

smbmount //192.168.1.46/HPmp3 mnt/HPmp3
You may be missing a leading / in the path to the mount point: Try

Code: Select all

/mnt/HPmp3
8. Right click on the computer name/address and select "scan as user"
I have no idea why you need to scan anything as anybody, since you already know the computer IP address and share name that you intended to use...and hard coded them into rc.local!?
10. Right click in the share you want to use and click "mount" ?
mounting the SMB share is exactly what smbmount does. So you already did that in rc.local -- if your smbmount command actually worked OK. So, my suspicion is that in fact it did not!

After booting (and so running your smbmount command in rc.local), but without using LinNeighbourhood at all, what does typing

Code: Select all

mount
in a terminal (console) window show you? Do you see the mounted SMB share on /mnt/HPmp3 listed in its output? If not, then your smbmount command is not working the way you think it is. Maybe in that case you can type in in by hand at the shell prompt in a terminal window, and note any error messages it displays?

If you need to specify a user to connect as, try adding -o username=whoever,password=whatever to the end of your smbmount command. Replace whoever and whatever with the desired username and password, of course.

Testing the exit status of the smbmount command and displaying a message if it is non-zero (a failure) might also be helpful?

PS. I am assuming you are running smbmount directly because the Busybox mount in Puppy isn't smart enough to invoke it for you, or has some other issue that gets in the way?? If mount will use it, then you should probably use a more generic and Unix-like mount -t smbfs command, instead. Or better yet, put a line into /etc/fstab so the share is automounted at boot along with your other fileystems -- with no need for kludged extra commands in rc.local :-) If you could explain why you are using smbmount instead, it might be useful.

Jonathan

carbking

#4 Post by carbking »

Adrian: thanks for your reply. Yes, that worked. In LinNeighborhood under Options there is "Export Mountscript." Thank you!

Jonathan: thanks for your reply. You mentioned:

>You may be missing a leading / in the path to the mount point

My apologies; the / was actually in there; I mis-typed in my post. From looking at the mountscript I saved using Adrian's suggestion, it appears that the problem was that it needed /root in front of what I had in rc.local.

smbmount //192.168.1.46/HPmp3 /mnt/HPmp3

should have been

smbmount //192.168.1.46/HPmp3 /root/mnt/HPmp3

Your suspicion that my smbmount command did not work was correct, and verified when I typed "mount" in a terminal window.

> If you could explain why you are using smbmount instead, it might be useful.

That's easy; I don't know what the heck I'm doing and was blindly following the example in the referenced HOWTO. :D I freely, if not proudly, confess my ignorance. Are these commands/topics specific to Puppy, or would reading any general book on Linux be useful?

Thanks again for your help.
Al