Wine font smoothing gui

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
vovchik

Wine font smoothing gui

#1 Post by vovchik »

Dear puppians,

Here is a pet that will improve font rendering in Wine. If you have a rather standard LCD screen, option 3 will give the best results. The script - which makes use of Xdialog - generates a xxx.reg file for wine in /tmp and silently installs it using regedit. I modified an existing script I found on a Ubuntu forum to make use of GTK widgets and restructured it for logic and clarity. Make certain you have wine installed before you click on this pet. It will generate a winesmooth entry in the Utilities menu.

With kind regards,
vovchik

PS. I tested it on various versions of wine and it works. I don't know about 1.2rc1 yet, because I can't get that version to work properly on my system. The font rendering procedure has changed in 1.2 and makes use of X-based fontconfig settings. In that case, these reg entries may simply be ignored by wine.
Attachments
winesmooth.pet
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 1352 times
winesmooth.jpg
(19.25 KiB) Downloaded 2195 times

jakfish

#2 Post by jakfish »

Works on 4.31/frugal install

What a wonderful, wonderful program. If I remember correctly, you had released a registry addition that did much the same thing, also a life-saver.

Many thanks,
Jake

vovchik

#3 Post by vovchik »

Dear Jake,

I am glad to hear that it works and is useful. I personally hate ugly fonts and have bad eyesight to boot, so I am always on the lookout for readability enhancements or tweaks. I think it is a good idea to do this kind of font smoothing tweak in a normal gui, since many people, particularly those new to Unix/Linux, don't like the terminal or feel a bit intimidated by it.

Thanks for the response.

With kind regards,
vovchik

PS. I have spent ages tweaking all the usual unix font config files, so one of these days I will make a gui for configuring those files, too.

jakfish

#4 Post by jakfish »

I would love to try out your unix font work.

Further testing: your gui work on puppeee as well.

Thanks again,
Jake

yosi666

Perfect

#5 Post by yosi666 »

Simply amazing pet. I think anyone who uses wine in puppy should give it a try.
Working "smoothly" in wary 5.0 :D
Thanks