What's up with bkauler@goosee?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
thatlldopig

What's up with bkauler@goosee?

#1 Post by thatlldopig »

this here addy is dead. Kinda gave me a start since I ordered thru the mail and I'm still waiting. Anyway if it's coming from Australia I guess its too soon for bunched up shorts about it. I don't blame the man , I don't want to hear from people like me either. :?:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Hi,
Try again in 24 hours!

goosee.com has moved to a new host.
Interesting, the new goosee.com website showed up 12 hours ago, but the bkaulerATgoosee.com on the new host still isn't receiving anything.
I just ran my email program and tried to pop from the old account, and curiously it did download a few emails -- which would seem to indicate that goosee.com, at least as far as email is concerned, is still looking at the old host. It was just a few emails, whereas it should have been more like 50. It did the same thing about 8 hours ago, that is, just managed to download a few emails.
I sent a test email last night, which has disappeared.

raffy

48 hours?

#3 Post by raffy »

Disseminating a change in host is supposed to take 48 hours only, but I have seen one instance of a network (was that P_____c Internet?) that has not updated its pointer to a new site (of one org) for a number of weeks already (It could be that this network is the one hosting the old website.)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Um, I haven't told the old host I'm going yet.
The goosee.com domain name is registered with a different registrar, and I just changed it to point to my new host's DNSs. Then In my new host, setup goosee.com forwarding to "/" in my site, and created a email account bkauler@goosee.com.
As stated, the goosee.com is seeing the new host, and I see web pages okay, but the email is not changing over. A few hours ago, POP from goosee.com was accessing the old host, just tried it now, doesn't work.

Do I have to inform the old host anything?

raffy

Yes

#5 Post by raffy »

Yes, but mainly to inform them of the cancellation of your hosting account. DNS pointers are taken care of by your domain registrar, so you can just wait for the change to be propagated. (But as I said above, I encountered that _one_very strange network not synching with the rest of the Internet.)

jmarsden

#6 Post by jmarsden »

BarryK wrote:Um, I haven't told the old host I'm going yet. ...Do I have to inform the old host anything?
Let's try and find out where things stand :-)

Code: Select all

jonathan@blue:~$ whois goosee.com |grep "^ "
   Domain Name: GOOSEE.COM
   Registrar: PRIMUS TELCO PTY LTD DBA PRIMUSDOMAIN/PLANETDOMAIN
   Whois Server: whois.planetdomain.com
   Referral URL: http://www.planetdomain.com
   Name Server: NS1.NETFIRMS.COM
   Name Server: NS2.NETFIRMS.COM
   Updated Date: 13-mar-2006
   Creation Date: 07-may-1998
   Expiration Date: 06-may-2010
   Domain Name: GOOSEE.COM
      Reseller..............: PlanetDomain
      Created on............: 7 May 1998 00:00:00 EST
      Expires on............: 6 May 2010 00:00:00 EST
      Record last updated on: 18 Sep 2004 10:25:57 EST
      Status................: ACTIVE
   Owner, Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Billing Contact:
      Barry Kauler (ID00082646)
      PO Box 359
      Perenjori, WA 6620
      Australia
      Phone: +61.0899XXXXXX (phone # censored by jmarsden)
      Email: bkauler@goosee.com
   Domain servers in listed order:
      NS1.NETFIRMS.COM
      NS2.NETFIRMS.COM
jonathan@blue:~$ dig goosee.com ns +short
ns2.netfirms.com.
ns1.netfirms.com.
jonathan@blue:~$ dig @ns1.netfirms.com goosee.com soa +short                         
ns1.netfirms.com. hostmaster.goosee.com. 1142329933 16384 2048 1048576 2560
jonathan@blue:~$ date -ur 1142329933
Tue Mar 14 09:52:13 UTC 2006
jonathan@blue:~$ dig @ns1.netfirms.com goosee.com mx +short
10 q1.netfirms.com.
20 q0.netfirms.com.
jonathan@blue:~$
OK, looks like the new hosting provider of your choice is PlanetDomain, who are a reseller of netfirms.com server space and bandwidth. The DNS was changed at the date and time shown above (earlier today). Email for *@goosee.com will be sent to the two incoming mailservers of netforums, q1 and (if q1 is down) q0. Both of these mailservers seem to be functioning OK (I didn't show how I tested that above).

Looks to me as though you just need to be patient and wait for the DNS changes to propagate fully. Incidentally, are you really OK with publishing your phone number worldwide?? I XXed it out above, but the full number was displayed to me. You may want to ask your registrar about a privacy option to hide that?

As raffy points out, you will need to inform your old hosting provider that you no longer require their services if you want them to stop sending you invoices (!) -- but you can switch DNS away from them before you do that if you wish. If you just move one or two domains out of several in a multidomain hosting package, then no, you don't have to tell the old provider anything.

If you previously used their DNS servers for the now-relocated domain(s), it would be good to ensure they disable the relevant DNS configuration(s) on those servers, otherwise users of those DNS servers may be unable to find your new site(s) or send you email. If you can do that in a "control panel", that's fine. I would check (with dig or a real nslookup) after doing so that the old DNS servers concerned no longer believe themselves to be authoritative for your domain(s) -- but that might just be me being overly careful?

Lastly: It's not really all that great from a reliability POV to have the owner/admin/tech contact email address(es) be within the domain concerned... if DNS breaks for goosee.com, the email addresses within @goosee.com are (by definition) useless for getting hold of you so you can fix it! Just a thought.

Jonathan

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

Jonathan,
Thanks for the investigation.
planetdomain.com is the domain registrar, but nothing to do with netfirms.com.
I have goosee.com, puppylinux.org and puppylinux.com registered with
planetdomain.
Netfirms is my new host, a Canadian company, but they have a very
big presence in the US. They have a similar "clustered server" architecture to
that of Servage, to spread load and improve uptime.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

Yippee, bkaulerATgoosee.com on my new host is finally working!

raffy

Bug Tracker URL

#9 Post by raffy »

That's good news!

BTW, as this thread is about your new sites anyway, let me alert you to an error in the address of JM's bug tracker site: nfshost (with s), not nfhost.

The error is in the news page of puppyOS.com.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

Typo fixed.

Incidentally, netfirms.com had free domains as part of the deal, hence the new puppyos.com.