How to use Onda modem MM515UP in 4.3.1?

Whitesnow

How to use Onda modem MM515UP in 4.3.1?

#1 Post by Whitesnow »

Hi, I can't build Onda kernel module (onda.ko) because I'm on 4.3.1 and kernel headers in Onda package (also on site, software label: http://www.ondacommunication.com/site/i ... &Itemid=21) are only for retro versions (kernel-headers-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.i386.rpm or linux-headers-2.6.22-14-386_2.6.22-14.52_i386.deb or linux-kbuild-2.6.18_2.6.18-1_i386.deb). I haven't got ADSL, so because download problems, I can't do tests with old Puppies (devx also needed).
In Onda's package there's a "linuxdriveronda1.0.1" directory with these files: install.sh Makefile onda.c test.sh uninstall.sh.

Code: Select all

# ./install.sh 
cp: cannot stat `onda.ko': No such file or directory
# 

# make
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/build M=/root/lab/onda-modem/onda-modem/linuxdriveronda1.0.1 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.30.5'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.30.5'
make: *** [modules] Error 2
# 
Problem is that onda.ko is not present and you cannot build because new kernel!

I test also an alternative way:

when I attach the modem, it loads usb_storage, so I have to remove this module, turn off the modem, turn on and finally it is under option module and attached on ttyUSB0:

May 14 13:42:21 (none) user.info kernel: usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
May 14 13:42:21 (none) user.info kernel: usb 1-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
May 14 13:42:21 (none) user.info kernel: option 1-3:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
May 14 13:42:21 (none) user.info kernel: usb 1-3: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
I tried to launch my connection script for dial-up fitted for ttyUSB0, but it return status 0x3 for chat's fault. It stop at "expect (OK)", writing "alarm". It seems to me like ATZ command fails.

This is in chatscripts:
ABORT ERROR
ABORT RING
ABORT BUSY
ABORT VOICE
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO ANSWER"
#ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
REPORT CONNECT
"" "ATZ"
OK 'AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.wind"'
OK ATD*99#
TIMEOUT 60
CONNECT \c

These are messages from PupScan _AFTER_ modprobe option module (first is the modem, second is the same device but with usb_storage module loaded at boot, now removed to permit modem detection):

Manufacturer=ONDA, Incorporated
Product=ONDA CDMA Technologies MSM
VendorID=19d2 ProductID=2000 KERNEL-MODULE=option

Manufacturer=ENE
Product=UB6225
SerialNumber=146030377350
VendorID=0951 ProductID=1606 KERNEL-MODULE=(none)

I also tried to insert, without success, these ones in MODULESCONFIG:

usb_storage 0x00000951 0x00001606 #UB6225 (Onda memory mass)
option 0x000019d2 0x00002000 #ONDA CDMA Technologies MSM (Onda modem)
Tried also with usbserial module, but it doesn't work.

Please, help ASAP: Onda is an HSUPA and I'm on a UMTS modem now. :(
Thanks in advance. Bye.
[b][i][color=darkred][size=134]*.* Snow *.*[/size][/color][/i][/b] :wink:

rerwin

#2 Post by rerwin »

Whitesnow,
You should not have to do ANY of the things you have tried, to get your modem working in puppy. I have worked for over a year so that users can have their modems work with puppy "out of the box". However, 4.3.1 does not have the latest version of modem support.

Please go here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 235#388235
and download and install the packages:
- pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-4.pet
- modem_fix_pack_to_431-6.pet

Start with a fresh 4.3.1 pupsave environment, so none of your activities can contaminate the new setup. Plug in the modem before you reboot after the installations (and save to file).

If there are still problems, we can work together from that point.
Richard

Whitesnow

Another modem that works with Puppy!!

#3 Post by Whitesnow »

Hi Rerwin,

all went well. Many THANKS!!
Please, note (for users): ttyUSB2 is the port for this modem and even PupDial can't see it.
With your drivers, I can use also original connection manager that comes with this hardware. It sends also SMS, but you have to WAIT until it scans all ports. At first, it seems not to work. If it freezes after a while (some minutes, not seconds!), close and open again.

Puppy 4.4 will support the same drivers, I suppose from what have you wrote. Lucid 5.00 hasn't got support, I tested it also for build my wifi software, but because kernel source problem, I hadn't upgrade (reported on bug thread).

Bye and thanks once again.

rerwin

#4 Post by rerwin »

Whitesnow,
I suppose from what have you wrote. Lucid 5.00 hasn't got support,
I understand that LuPu, with its newest kernel, should support the USB wireless modems. Only support for the old PCI analog modems is omitted, since their drivers have not been upgraded for the latest kernel (I think).
Richard

Whitesnow

Problem with connection

#5 Post by Whitesnow »

Richard,
modem disconnects many times and acting like I just plugged in (log from kernel tells me, in which I can find modules re-loaded for the device once disconnection happens).
Maybe usb_storage's fault? :(

Bye and thanks in advance.

Giuliana

rerwin

#6 Post by rerwin »

whitesnow,
Thanks for reporting your connection problem. I assume that is with LuPu, right? Could you try to connect and then get a diagnostic file, by entering the command: pmodemdiag, and then attaching it to a posting in this thread? That way I can probably see what is happening. The driver might be getting loaded too much, although that should not happen.
Richard

Whitesnow

pmodemdiag's output

#7 Post by Whitesnow »

Hi Richard,

I don't use LuPu, but 4.3.1 because a kernel source problem, as told in this thread.
I'd like best to post pmodemdiag's output in private mode (serials and addresses of hardware in it).
Unluckily, I've lost test made at last disconnection. I saw an error that I didn't understand, but you'll read yourself at next test.

Thanks again. :)

Giuliana

rerwin

#8 Post by rerwin »

Whitesnow,
Sending the diag file as a PM attachment is fine. Several people have done that, I assume to keep down the clutter in the threads, while we work out some unique or learning curve issues.

With 4.3.1, please be sure you have installed the packages I mentioned above. I assume you are running with them as you make these tests.

Note: be sure you are using Stupid Mode and NOT using Auto-Reconnect. For me to be able to help, I need you to use pupdial instead of your script. For now, I am not of much use in debugging your script. So far, pupdial and wvdial (which it uses) seem to take care of things. The exception is when an ISP refuses to handle the "chap" authentication protocol, for which we have a way to deal with it.

Another note: You should be able to force ttyUSB2 with another trick I built in. You should see a file:

/etc/modemttyUSBnum

that probably has "0" in it. Change that to "2" (without the quotes). If you probe, then ERASE in pupdial, then reboot, ttyUSB2 should be "detected". I am working on an update that should make puppy smarter about figuring out the probable modem device name.
Richard

rerwin

#9 Post by rerwin »

Whitesnow,
Thanks for the diag file. Coincidentally, I have found a possible fix for you r difficulty getting connected and have posted a dotpet here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 370#427370
Please see if that helps.
Richard

Whitesnow

Patch and software behavior

#10 Post by Whitesnow »

Hi there :) (sorry if I'm late),
With 4.3.1, please be sure you have installed the packages I mentioned above.
Yes, there are.Without them, modem didn't work before.
About your patch now. When I tried, modem stopped working. I had to uninstall and re-install your packages to recover.
Have I install some packages from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 074#431074?
For now, I am not of much use in debugging your script.
My script consists only of "pppd call x" (same model of every xdial, isn't it?) plus rxvt and gxmessage automatic message's launch for me to understand that connection is on and to stop it without control it in a terminal.
/etc/modemttyUSBnum
I haven't got this file. I found /etc/modemoverrides, but it's empty.

Thanks & bye.

Whitesnow

Onda modem error

#11 Post by Whitesnow »

Hi,
do you remember when I said that, one time, kernel told me what was going wrong with Onda-modem? It does it again! Please, read and note that "Alice Mobile" is the name of the default connection software for Onda modem and that same connection problems were also with only "pppd call xxx" launch. My libqt-mt.so.3 is from an alien package that I don't remember.

Aug  1 22:57:58 (none) user.info kernel: Alice_MOBILE[17263]: segfault at ffff00ff ip b7da06bb sp bfd11c98 error 6 in libqt-mt.so.3[b7863000+69c000]
Thanks & bye.