TEENpup to be re-branded to ????????

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

TEENpup to be re-branded to ????????

#1 Post by john biles »

I've decided to re-brand TEENpup 2009 Legacy to ?????? and are currently working hard to bring it to you when it ready. No date set.

If TEENpup 2009 Legacy worked on your PC then ?????? should to. If it didn't then ?????? won't either Sorry!
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

Great news, johnbiles. Re-branding is always a good idea - all the major retailers do it! Might I suggest you keep it in the family with naming. Do you see it as an old ColliePup, an all purpose RetrieverPup or maybe a killer app., MastifPup? The scope is extensive.
There's no point in trying to please everyone - that's BK's approach; the Wintel cartel will always smash you with leverage. Sufficient punters had a good experience with Legacy for you to not tinker with the innards too much.

nitehawk

#3 Post by nitehawk »

john biles,...
...really looking forward to ?????? (LOL!). I just recently got my copy of the 2009 Teenpup. It looks terrific from the live CD,...but I'm having problems trying to install to hard drive, and install grub. I'll keep working at it, though (could be my copy of the CD). I'm on dialup,..so had to get the CD from a reputable online linux CD shop. Teenpup really surprised me with all those apps! Man, that thing is loaded!!!

EDIT: You could call ?????? "SuperPup" (and give him a cape and stuff like that...and show him really flying) :lol:

cthisbear

#4 Post by cthisbear »

nitehawk:

I just saw this post.

" And I solved the problem.
I was going to follow rjbrewer's advice and actually install
another puplet, but I thought wtheck,
I'll see if it works on an ext2 partition. "

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55322

Chris.

nitehawk

#5 Post by nitehawk »

cthisbear..
thanks for that info....
yeah,..I discovered that little fact. Couldn't for the LIFE of me figure out what was wrong until the ext2 thingy. :lol:
I just really have to thank john biles for doing this pupplett, though. First Barry comes up with Puppy,..and I'm able to use my older computers. Now john biles takes it,....and adds everything (plus the Out house sink)...so I don't have to go downloading lots of stuff (on my dinky dialup. I'm sooooo glad he's going to re-name TEENpup,..and give it a facelift.....
'cause I'm on the other end of the age spectrum than teens. I will just imagine that john biles and his ?????? (soon-to-be-named-pupplett) will be ever so helpful for the older set who have older computers that used to run Windows98SE..and are on dialup and fixed incomes. (I gave up w98SE a few years ago for W2K Pro,...but same situation). Then I found Linux. Oh, heaven.
OK,...john biles. Call this up-coming "TEENpup" (soon-to-be-re-named) "Out house-SINK-PUP" :lol: :lol: :lol:

john biles

#6 Post by john biles »

Work continues at a steady pace and is coming together quit well.
With the large number of Distro's be it Puppy based or not catering for newer software, I feel now even more that I should cater for all those older PC's nobody loves and try and bring an exciting modern looking Distro that gives someone a very useful OS for their old PC that's compatible with current web standards.
If you find your software is too new for this OS all I can say in advance is sorry! About 75% there so hopefully you should be able to download soon!

nitehawk

#7 Post by nitehawk »

I'm looking forward to the new release. Been running TEENpup 2009 (Legacy) for awhile now, and enjoying it. It's a really big help for someone (like me) on slow dialup,....as well as those with older computers. Even with newer computers,..if you have to be on dialup, TEENpup (soon-to-be-renamed) has sooooo many good apps, that one doesn't need to do a lot of time-consuming downloading. So you're actually targeting TWO groups of computer-users (not just those with older hardware).
Just had one little "tiny" problem. Wine doesn't seem to work in Legacy (windows apps open with DosBox). Not a biggie. All I have to say, is if the next release is going to be better than Legacy,...it's gonna be good!

john biles

#8 Post by john biles »

Hello nitehawk,
TEENpup 2009 Legacy uses glibc 2.3.5 which meant Wine version 9.17 was the last version that worked properly. As glibc has been updated to 2.5 in the upcoming release there is now the possibility that never versions of wine will now work. I haven't tested this as I try not to use Windows Software.

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

johnbiles, you're a star.
There is absolutely no need to worry about kiddies throwing their dosh away on the latest go-faster striped boxes because even these ill-informed 'dozers probably aren't so dunb as to cast their last years' model in the skip/dumpster - it's probably still under the bed, in the garage, or in the loft. It's resurrection and operation with ???Pup will soon demonstrate the error of their (their spouse's?! teenie offspring's?!) ways.
Press on regardless.

Aitch

#10 Post by Aitch »

Hey, JB

Glad to hear you've restored the faith and decided to stick with it!
I installed Teenpup about a year ago for an old friend of mine - ex MAC fanboy, and he's been pleased as punch with it, without too many, 'What have I done?', calls

Good Luck and hope you can come up with a good name

'Well-Rounded Pup', or just 'FunPup', come to mind

Aitch :)

Colonel Panic

#11 Post by Colonel Panic »

Good luck with this one.

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nitehawk

#12 Post by nitehawk »

'Well-Rounded Pup', or just 'FunPup', come to mind
"Well-Rounded" does have a ring to it. It's a fully-loaded distro on top of that fast little Puppy base. And boy do I ever need that now. My main P4 computer says it may need another motherboard,.....so it's my older PIII computers for now (until when I EVER get around to getting the parts for said P4)... :cry: :lol:
EDIT: btw,..JB...when it's finished,..you'll have to let Distrowatch know. I know that the 2009 Legacy is so popular,..that several of the more reputable online linux shops sell TEENpup. (of course they don't actually "sell" any linux for a profit,..just a tiny charge to burn it to a CD and a little for shipping). I can't download something as large as TEENpup (with dialup)...so I obtained my copy that way.
(I still think "SUPERpup" complete with the little puppy in cape etc. etc. would get a LOT of attention).

hottyson

#13 Post by hottyson »

CompletePup

That is what immediately came to my mind. Think about it. Is there any other usable distro in the world that is as complete as TEENpup?

Ray MK

#14 Post by Ray MK »

MaxPup ?

sc0ttman

#15 Post by sc0ttman »

MegaPup... it's multinational..
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Colonel Panic

#16 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm thinking "solar" for some reason. How about SolarPup or SunPup (with some suitable wallpaper)?

(Maybe it's because Australia, where John's from, gets a lot of sun).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nitehawk

#17 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel Panic wrote:I'm thinking "solar" for some reason. How about SolarPup or SunPup (with some suitable wallpaper)?

(Maybe it's because Australia, where John's from, gets a lot of sun).
(LOL) Lots of sun here in Fl. too. Wallpaper: puppies frisking in the sunshine. Motto: "Light up your Puppy experience" :lol: :lol: :lol:

john biles

#18 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
Thanks for the suggestion for new names. I've already decided the name but want to keep it under the hat so to speak.
Here's a quick update. All's going well with new features being added regularly. It's so easy to break on app while trying to get another going. Lots of testing has to be done. Hopefully soon it will be released. :D

john biles

#19 Post by john biles »

Hello everyone intersted in TEENpup's upcoming replacement.

Work continues at around 40 hours a week to bring it to you as soon as possible. (I work full time as well)
A lot of you have come up with name suggestions that ended with "pup" I can tell you now that "pup" at the end as in TEENpup is out.

I want ??????? to appeal to a broader range of users who isn't into Puppy Linux or tried Puppy because of it's name. A name can make or break a product be it free or $$$.
Would you buy a new Vehicle brand costing $100,000 called "Dolly-a-Go-Go" ?
I love Puppy and always will so forgive me in dropping "pup" from the name.

OK now down to some info. ??????? comes with a New Dark Default Theme that most of the Apps included carry. I included a screen shot.
Feel free to comment if you like it or not. It's ???????? default so won't be changed.

What started out as a quick refresh has turned into a big rethink of what and who ?????? is aimed at. Teenagers are out! ??????? is for everyone with an old Desktop / Laptop.
Attachments
kmix.jpg
(72.97 KiB) Downloaded 1349 times

nitehawk

#20 Post by nitehawk »

What started out as a quick refresh has turned into a big rethink of what and who ?????? is aimed at. Teenagers are out! ??????? is for everyone with an old Desktop / Laptop.
...sounds just great! Looking forward to it (it's a terrific idea to have a distro that's Puppy linux based,......but loaded with all the apps. That'd be good for those of us with older stuff (and dialup). And you're probably right not to use the "pup" name at the end. I mean,...look at how many other distros are recognized as distros on their own, but are actually based on another distro. Lot's of them are based off,..say, ..Debian, or Ubuntu,..Red Hat (etc. etc). AntiX is popular as a lightweight distro,...but it's based off of Mepis,..which is based off of Debian.....(so there you go).