Quirky 1.2rc feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
rcrsn51

#181 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jim1911 wrote:Tried your new xsane pet with my HP 5280 usb all-in-one. It did not work, cannot find a scanner, even after unplugging and replacing the usb cable. Scanner works fine with ubuntu/Kubuntu.
Did the previous xsane work for you? Have you installed an HP scanner driver?

Jim1911

#182 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Tried your new xsane pet with my HP 5280 usb all-in-one. It did not work, cannot find a scanner, even after unplugging and replacing the usb cable. Scanner works fine with ubuntu/Kubuntu.
Did the previous xsane work for you? Have you installed an HP scanner driver?
Haven't tried it, however the printer function works fine. Is there a pet available for the scanner driver? I understood that the necessary backends were already present.

rcrsn51

#183 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jim1911 wrote:Haven't tried it, however the printer function works fine.
How did you install the printer? With a built-in Gutenprint driver? Or did you install an HPLIP package?

What is the complete name of your printer?

FYI, I installed the new sane backend PET and the new xsane PET into Quirky 1.1 along with the HP scanner driver from here and it worked with my HP all-in-one.

OverDrive

High CPU Temp.

#184 Post by OverDrive »

Hello, There is a thread started outside of this one about high CPU Temps.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55417

I just thought it would be appropriate to include a link into this thread. At 1st blush, I don't think the acpi is working with the fan correctly.

OverDrive
Instant Puppy Fan!!!

DaveS

Re: High CPU Temp.

#185 Post by DaveS »

OverDrive wrote:Hello, There is a thread started outside of this one about high CPU Temps.

I just thought it would be appropriate to include a link into this thread. At 1st blush, I don't think the acpi is working with the fan correctly.

OverDrive
Yes, the info there describes pretty much what happens on my system (intel dual core T23330) Its fine in 4.3, runs around 40-45 deg, but in Q1.2 just goes up steadily till I shut down at around 70deg. Would probably go higher if I let it.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#186 Post by Béèm »

DaveS wrote:
OverDrive wrote:Hello, There is a thread started outside of this one about high CPU Temps.

OverDrive
Yes, the info there describes pretty much what happens on my system (intel dual core T23330) Its fine in 4.3, runs around 40-45 deg, but in Q1.2 just goes up steadily till I shut down at around 70deg. Would probably go higher if I let it.
In that cpu high temp thread I reported directly that I have the same issue.
Since my post other people reported also.
Unfortunately none of the developers showed interest in this issue.
I think this issue needs more attention, as lucid starts to show the same kind of behavior now as in quirky.
Will a certain moment those machine blow up?
Can quirky and Lucid still be used on these machines?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: strange jerky video in youtube.

#187 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:
BarryK wrote:
Béèm wrote:strange jerky video in youtube (boot with pfix=ram)
I have now 1GB of RAM.
I noticed jerky video when playing from youtube owl city fireflies At that moment the temperature got high and warnings are issued. The laptop is very slow then.
I looked at some other video's and I didn't see that issue, until I played Beyonce Sweat Dreams (Official Music Video) + Lyrics where I had he same issue.

I was aware of the xf86-video-ati-6.13.0-q1 package and installed it and restarted X.
It didn't improve the issue. These two video's were still jerky.

Then I had the idea to replace, in xorg.conf, the radeon driver by the vesa driver, restarted X and did the tests again.
This time the video's played ok, but the laptop still runs hot.

Even when typing this, the fan is going often to cool the laptop.

So I don't know if this jerky video issue is a bug or not, but I wanted to report and also that vesa seems to make the video's run better.
Don't know what the effect of vesa is on my Ati mobility Radeon 7500 controller in comparison with the radeon driver.
Q1.2rc doesn't have the latest Adobe Flash player, so I'm wondering if the latest player will improve things ...would you mind downloading and trying it?
OK I'll do that.
Coolpup was so nice to make it available.
Barry,
I installed the Adobe Flash Player coolpup (thank you) provided.
SeaMonkey reports 10.1.r53
It seems there is a very very slight improvement, really difficult to say.
So I consider the issue is still there and this latest player didn't really help.

Again I did the experience that when running X with the vesa driver I don't have the issue at all.
Could this be an indication that there is a relation with the radeon driver?
(altho I tried the latest announced in your blog)
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

DaveS

#188 Post by DaveS »

Béèm wrote:
DaveS wrote:

OverDrive
In that cpu high temp thread I reported directly that I have the same issue.
Since my post other people reported also.
Unfortunately none of the developers showed interest in this issue.
I think this issue needs more attention, as lucid starts to show the same kind of behavior now as in quirky.
Will a certain moment those machine blow up?
Can quirky and Lucid still be used on these machines?
Not prepared to run my machine that hot, that is for sure. It also suggests battery life will be short............
Wish I knew enough to try to figure it out :(
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

nooby

#189 Post by nooby »

I had same problem on an AOpen shoebox barebone computer using Intel 910/915 chips.

Dangerous hot the warning told me and I have not dared to use any puppy on it since then.

I sure wish somebody could look into it too.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Firewave

#190 Post by Firewave »

These still refers to Quirky 1.1 since I didn't have time to upgrade yet:
- when aborting "Auto DHCP" in the Network Wizard it will show the "SUCCESSFULLY CONFIGURED" dialog and ask, if you wanna save the configuration. I think it should not show that
- when I lose my network connection (when the router re-connect to the internet / force disconnect) I need to manually trigger a DHCP request
- when you launch XF-Prot it show a read dialog, that only has a "Okay" button, but it say you should click the "close box", if you want to cancel the interstallation. So there is no way to cancel it
- while trying to get my scanner to work I came across a script named "scannerwizard.sh", that brings up the sane-backend page and a list of modules to select. But no matter what I select it says the script is incomplete and nothing was done
- after installing a package all windows, that are minimized are being restored and you have to minimize them again. Pretty annoying

More on the scanner issue later. It's a Canon i-SENSYS MF4010 and xsane and sane-find-scanner did not detect it. Even after updating to the latest sane-backend/xsane.

Jim1911

#191 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:FYI, I installed the new sane backend PET and the new xsane PET into Quirky 1.1 along with the HP scanner driver from here and it worked with my HP all-in-one.
I have a HP Photosmart C-5280 All-In-One. The quirky Cups picked up the proper printer driver. Thanks for the xsane info, I'll give it a try.
Jim
EDIT: It worked! All that was needed to add to Quirky 1.2rc's existing CUPS was Barry's new xsane pet and the hplip-3.9.12-scan.pet. As indicated the printer/scanner had to be rebooted after scanning in order to print. Thank you.
Last edited by Jim1911 on Mon 31 May 2010, 14:19, edited 2 times in total.

rcrsn51

#192 Post by rcrsn51 »

Firewave wrote:More on the scanner issue later. It's a Canon i-SENSYS MF4010 and xsane and sane-find-scanner did not detect it. Even after updating to the latest sane-backend/xsane.
I can't find a Linux driver for your scanner anywhere.

nooby

#193 Post by nooby »

Firewave
- when I lose my network connection (when the router re-connect to the internet / force disconnect) I need to manually trigger a DHCP request
I can only comment on Quirky 1.00 but most likely it works on q1.1 too.

I had problem with reconnecting too when I used Puppy 431 but when I got Q1.00 and used Simple Network setup then all just works. So try to use that one and see if it help you get continues connection.

Edit

Firewave I have only tested it on wired LAN so don't know how it will behave on wifi.

Wifi is sensitive to movements in the room. Try to place the sender and receiver antennas as close and free sight and as little metal surfaces that makes reflections between them.

Even when people walk in the room can make one loose connection if they are too far from each other and lot of metal wiring that makes odd reflections. I'm no expert but have long experience of reflections on hifi radio sound getting distorted by reflections interference with each other.

so to move the modem just a few feet can help very much in difficult places.
Last edited by nooby on Mon 31 May 2010, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Firewave

#194 Post by Firewave »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Firewave wrote:More on the scanner issue later. It's a Canon i-SENSYS MF4010 and xsane and sane-find-scanner did not detect it. Even after updating to the latest sane-backend/xsane.
http://software.canon-europe.com/softwa ... asp?model=

There's .rpm and .deb packages in the archive as well as source code. Didn't take a look at it yet since I have no compiler on my quirky.
Last edited by Firewave on Mon 31 May 2010, 14:40, edited 2 times in total.

Firewave

#195 Post by Firewave »

nooby wrote:Firewave
I can only comment on Quirky 1.00 but most likely it works on q1.1 too.

I had problem with reconnecting too when I used Puppy 431 but when I got Q1.00 and used Simple Network setup then all just works. So try to use that one and see if it help you get continues connection.
Thanks, I will try. Problem with the "Simple" setup was, that it didn't save the configuration in-between boots, so I had to configure it every time. The "normal" setup does save it for me, so it's the only one I use.

It's all a bit fuzzy with wireless for me since in this house the wireless doesn't work in the upper floor and the other wireless I use at another house is seriously unstable and keeps dying.

sinc

#196 Post by sinc »

pdvd rsab did not function correctly. I believe it was built to use Xine and it looks like Quirky has mplayer. It ripped okay but I couldn't shrink a file and a had a few other glitches I did not record. but just a quick (not very helpful) note that pdvdrsab did not function properly.

rcrsn51

#197 Post by rcrsn51 »

Firewave wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
http://software.canon-europe.com/softwa ... asp?model=

There's .rpm and .deb packages in the archive as well as source code. Didn't take a look at it yet since I have no compiler on my quirky.
That driver is for printers only, not scanners.

Firewave

#198 Post by Firewave »

rcrsn51 wrote:That driver is for printers only, not scanners.
I found this

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Sof ... UPPORT.asp

Code: Select all

Please note that there is no support for scanning or PC Faxing on Linux for i-SENSYS products.
So it seems I am screwed. Although I saw some scanners of the MF series listed on sane-backends being supported by using the pixma driver.

alec78

Touchpad Tapping

#199 Post by alec78 »

Hi all,
@BarryK
Did my usual type of install with qrky-112, that is save the sfs and save files to an USB dongle, and boot from the CD.
On the second boot up every thing went O.K. quirky recognised the .3fs save file this time, except touchpad tapping is still not working. I had set one finger to left click in flSyclient prior to the first shut down.
flSynclient did open up with no complaints of missing files this time, but when I pressed the save button it highlighted but did not close the window, I had to hit the small x button to close the window, this might indicate the setting has not been saved.
This is with the Samsung X05 which as I reported previously touchpad tapping works under lupu 5.

VIDEO REPORT: Quirky, version 112

Chip description:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

Cheers

Firewave

#200 Post by Firewave »

Seems like I need sane-pixma to get my scanner working. Gonna look into it.
Last edited by Firewave on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.