Fluppy 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#21 Post by Lobster »

After wacking my head with a halibut (a type of fish)
I almost managed to create a Youtube video of my adventures with Fluppy 002
bit messy in parts . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLVAdkvlJZc

Still learning how to use Openshot video editor . .
I hope to be using Openshot in Puppy, Lucid, Fatdog64 or Fluppy soon . . . :)
Last edited by Lobster on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BHINTZ

acer aspire one

#22 Post by BHINTZ »

I installed fluppy02 on my AA0 (acer aspire one)

Chrome seems to be working fine.

I also have booted up in ramboot and put hard drive to standby - the adapted battery time is currently at 34+ hours and so far no reduction in savefile noted, but I didn't check when I first booted.

suspend works fine on closing the lid

jemimah

#23 Post by jemimah »

Lobster, does your ethernet connection not come up automatically? You aren't supposed to need to reset it.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#24 Post by Lobster »

:oops: Ah good news I do get connected automatically . . .

When I open the chrome browser, I get a message
Your wireless card was not detected, please reboot and enable it in the BIOS
. . . this confused me (it does not take much)
click on OK and in fact the OS and browser is connected via Ethernet . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jemimah

#25 Post by jemimah »

I suppose I should remove that message.

Gee

#26 Post by Gee »

Viliv , Fujitsu U , UMID mbook are UMPCs that have touch screens. Vaio p , viliv and some other umpcs also have built in gps. Maybe you could add touch and gps support?

jemimah

#27 Post by jemimah »

Well Afgs just sort of added UMPCs to the Fluppy logo without checking. :)

I'm not sure how well it will actually work on such a machine as I've never owned one.

Touch will possibly work if you install Tempestous' touchscreen Xorg drivers - theres a pet somewhere around here. I'll throw them in if anyone reports success with them.

TangoGPS is already installed. If the kernel supports it, you should just be able to install gpsd and it'll work.

If someone has the hardware, I can probably help troubleshoot but it's all theory without testing.

smokey01

#28 Post by smokey01 »

Jemimah I will try Fluppy on the Kogan netbook later in the week and report back.

I suspect I will have problems with the wifi and mousepad.

Thanks, Smokey

TomRhymer

Fluppy take 2

#29 Post by TomRhymer »

Testing on Acer Aspire One D-150, booting from flash drive.

Major improvement! Chrome doesn't crash anymore. Also, while PAN0 still shows in PWireless, it isn't getting in the way anymore. I was able to connect to my router in only a few seconds. Incidentally, what is PAN0 anyway? AFAIK, the netbook only has an ethernet connector and the WLan.

Still have one major problem. When I shut down, I made a save file to the flash drive. I use Ext2 format, 128MB. When I reboot, I get a boot error and can't even get to the menu. I've duplicated this on two different 512MB flash drives.

Thanks for all the work you've been putting into this. I like your approach to a netbook OS a lot more than Moblin, Maemo, UNR, or any of the other netbook Linux distros that I've tried.

jemimah

#30 Post by jemimah »

Pan0 is "Personal Area Network". The bluetooth daemon apparently creates it. I have no idea how to use it.

If you can't even get to the menu, try rerunning bootinst.sh. I have no idea why the drive would become unbootable unless you deleted ldlinux.sys or moved the kernel, initrd, or syslinux.cfg somewhere else.

TomRhymer

Boot error.

#31 Post by TomRhymer »

jemimah wrote:If you can't even get to the menu, try rerunning bootinst.sh. I have no idea why the drive would become unbootable unless you deleted ldlinux.sys or moved the kernel, initrd, or syslinux.cfg somewhere else.
Okay, I reran bootinst. It will boot and save now without problems. Evidently, it only happens when creating the save file.

Roy

#32 Post by Roy »

Pan0 is "Personal Area Network". The bluetooth daemon apparently creates it. I have no idea how to use it.
PAN, I think, is simply a bluetooth modem link between your computer and distant device.

Actually, I've been thinking about trying to use PAN to access my cell phone's 3G internet connectivity... my theory being that the Bluetooth modem will provide transfer capability that my USB cable doesn't. (My phone will allow me to access the internal memory card, via USB cable, but not the phone's internal memory. No GPRS stuff in the phone, either.) No idea if the idea will work or not, but with the rage of 3G connectivity and the few (fewer, almost gone) dial-up providers....

Roy

harktu

#33 Post by harktu »

tried with live usb on 'eeepc 4g surf',it says 'didnt detect wireless plz check the bios',
my wireless is ok with other distros.
it doesnt see my wireless.

smokey01

#34 Post by smokey01 »

I tried fluppy002 on my desktop and it didn't find any network drivers either. Ethernet or wireless.

Regards

dawnsboy

#35 Post by dawnsboy »

Harktu said:
tried with live usb on 'eeepc 4g surf',it says 'didnt detect wireless plz check the bios',
my wireless is ok with other distros.
it doesnt see my wireless.

Announcement from first post:
This is Puppeee with Eee-specific functionality removed and a full size kernel.
So Fluppy probably does not have your eeepc drivers. You will certainly find them in Puppeee which has leaner kernel with eeepc specific driver set.

jemimah

#36 Post by jemimah »

No, it should. I need to boot it up on my 4g this weekend and see what's going on.

Smokey01, do you know what drivers it needs (this is the kogan right)?

smokey01

#37 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah wrote:No, it should. I need to boot it up on my 4g this weekend and see what's going on.

Smokey01, do you know what drivers it needs (this is the kogan right)?
Nope, this was the desktop. I just wanted to see if it would work.

I'm going to try the Kogan tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. I hope it works.

Smokey

smokey01

#38 Post by smokey01 »

Jemimah ,

I just had a long play with fluppy on the Kogan netbook. Everything I tried worked except the mouse pad. Wireless worked fine even after rebooting.

I installed as frugal and saved the pupsave file as ext4.

The screen resolution at 1024x600 looks good.

Are the folder icons suppose to be black? Not too keen on them so I changed to HaikuPup icons, very nice.

Now if I could just get the mouse pad to work I would be very happy.

If I plug in a usb mouse it works fine

I I do like your puppeee desktop better though. Are you able to offer it as an option in fluppy?

Many thanks

Grant (aka smokey01)
Last edited by smokey01 on Sat 05 Jun 2010, 00:55, edited 2 times in total.

JustGreg

#39 Post by JustGreg »

I tried Fluppy 002 on my Acer Aspire One, Model ZG5 or AOA 150 with Atom N270 Processor, 1024 MByte Ram, 160 GByte Hard Drive, and Intel 915 Express video chipset. Fluppy 002 worked well.

I have Puppy 4.31 on it now. It has an different ACPI setup using an SMB (system monitoring bus) approach. With Puppy 4.31, I have use irqpoll kernel parameter to get the sound working. The fan runs continuously with both Window$ and Puppy.

Fluppy did not have a setup problem, both the sound and video worked. I have Fluppy frugal installation on a small USB hard drive. It already had syslinux installed on it, so I did not test the installation script.

The battery monitor works well. However, there is no temperature monitor on Aspire One. I tried Fluppy on my desktop and the temperature monitor is there. I checked /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM on the Aspire One and it is an empty directory. The reason for no temperature monitor. This may be due to the SMB approach. I do not know enough about SMB to look further into it.

I tested the web camera with a couple of scripts that I have. The web camera worked properly complete with audio.

There is a lot of good applications. I do like the calculator that can be configure as reverse Polish notation. Chrome has a learning curve for me. I have a html file of bookmarks in root. I could not get Chrome to import it. Chrome kept looking for a "browser" directory. My suggestion is to do like Lucid Puppy 5.0 and have the user select the desired browser. Puppy Browser does work for the initial start-up.

Fluppy does have a nice look to it. One thing, how does one set the tray clock to 24 hour format rather than AM/PM version.

I will keep working with Fluppy and report on it.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

smokey01

#40 Post by smokey01 »

Houston we have a problem!

When I close the lid of the laptop to suspend, it works however, when I open the lid it does not unsuspend.

The same happens if I choose suspend from the shutdown menu.

Same problem with hibernate from the shutdown menu. I did include the line resume=/dev/sda5/ on the kernel line.

I have to hold the power button on until the laptop shuts down.

This is with the Kogan laptop.