1.0.8r1 booted, but other versions of Puppy want a password

Booting, installing, newbie
pooklaroux

1.0.8r1 booted, but other versions of Puppy want a password

#1 Post by pooklaroux »

Woo hoo! cheer! shout! whistle! YAAAAY!

Got a bootable copy of 1.0.8r1 to boot. Sweet! Very sweet!

But i wanted to see what some of the other builds looked like. Now that I have the secret of terminal...and can burn bootable disks, I dl'd a few other puppy builds - pizzapup and emptycrust, grafpup and chubby puppy. But when I try to load pizzapup, grafpup and chubby puppy, it gets me through the initial boot loading screen, but then at some point, the process stops and asks me for a password. A password? What password? Did I miss something? Was I supposed to pay for an unlock code or something? I guess I like to beat my head against the wall, I went ahead and tried emptycrust. Well, that booted up just fine. Didn't ask for a password.

What's up with the password?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

glad things are going well
:)

- the usual cause is a bad burn - often at too high a speed

trying using reusable disks (I do) or burn again at a slower speed

Let us know if this sorts it 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I'll have to disagree with Lobster on this one. Probably what happened is, when you booted Puppy 1.0.8r1 it created a pup001 file on the hard drive, or at least tried to. When you boot the other versions of Puppy they look for a pup001 file because that is where Puppy stores its configuration for that computer. In this case, since a different version of Puppy created it they may see this pup001 file as corrupt. No one knows why, but Puppy asks for a password when it finds a corrupt pup001 file. The solution then is to find that pup001 file, and either delete or rename it, for instance to pup002, so that Puppy doesn't see it.

Let us know what the problem really was when you find it. :lol: