Puppy Linux on Dell Inspiron 1501 Wireless

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
timjeremiah

Puppy Linux on Dell Inspiron 1501 Wireless

#1 Post by timjeremiah »

So I am knew to puppy linux and these forums, and while trying to configure my wireless on my dell inspiron 1501 i came across drivers that worked and didnt work using the auto probe
Drivers That Didnt Work:
8139cp
Driver that worked:
b43

All In All, thats the driver you are going to want to look for trying to configure wireless connectivity, using Puppy Linux, on a Dell Inspiron 1501

-Tim

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Thanks for the info

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

... but which version of Puppy?

The Broadcom wifi devices in Dell/HP notebooks are notoriously non-standard, and in many cases fail to work with the opensource b43 Linux driver.
This situation is now fixed with the b43 driver in the very latest kernels, such as found in Puppy Quirky and Lupu.

But with older kernels such as 2.6.30.5 in Puppy 4.3, Dell/HP users need to use the customised
"Special Puppy431 for broadcom 4312 wifi cards"
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50570
which has the proprietary Broadcom wifi driver.

timjeremiah

lupu

#4 Post by timjeremiah »

O I'm sorry, I was so excited when I realized how easy it was to get my wifi working in a version of linux that I forgot to tell everyone I'm running lupu

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

timjeremiah wrote:I'm running lupu
Which confirms that the latest b43 driver works with Dell/HP Broadcom wifi devices,
but it remains true that older versions of the b43 driver don't work with Dell/HP Broadcom wifi devices.