"Mount" doesn't mount nfs?

Using applications, configuring, problems

"Mount" doesn't mount nfs?

#1 Post by Guest »

Hi,
It seems that 'mount' doesn't mount nfs.
also on boot, the / is not remounted, but the original kernel mount is maintained (I get an error message at boot time).

So the root filesystem is mounted through the kernel, but mount does not recognize nfs...

Any tips on that one?

I tried to google "BusyBox nfs mount" but did not find anything usefull...

Thanx
Ron

#2 Post by Guest »

I the kernel does not have support for nfs, tho it is available as a kernel module.
Puppy is also missing portmap and a few other required binaries.

The solution ?
download the tar ball

Code: Select all

#tar xvzf nfs.tar.gz -C /
#insmod /root/my-applications/modules/sunrpc.o
#insmod /root/my-applications/modules/lockd.o
#insmod /root/my-applications/modules/nfs.o
#rpc.portmap
#rpcinfo -p 127.0.0.1
# mount-FULL "ip-address":"path to share" "path to mount point"
the insmod & rpc.portmap commands cab be added to /etc/rc.d/rc.local so it all happens at boot time then all you have to do is mount the share. Make sure you use umount-FULL to umount the share

#3 Post by Guest »

mmmmm is this to do with puppy via nfs ?

If you read the whole article carefully it mentions that the busybox mount has to be replaced by a proper mount.

But none the less all you should need is just the mount-FULL from the tarball

#4 Post by Guest »

Thanx, I will try it all later on...

I am not sure which version of busybox Puppy uses.
There is now a release: 1.0, and I tried to replace the busybox, since you can compile busybox mount with nfs support, or, which is probably the case in puppy, without it.

If no one came across this before, maybe no one needs nfs support, don't know, to me it sounds basic...

I tried replacing the puppy busybox with a custom compilation of 1.0, but it didn't boot anymore, I don't know why. There were a bunch of errors, and I don't like this try-error strutegy when there are 200 options to configure...

Anywayz, if the tarball solves the problem, it is great...

Thanx again,
Ron

#5 Post by Guest »

If you are using the custom kernel for nfs, and already mount root dont load the modules.

Further investigation showed me puppy already has the kernel modules, just

#modprobe nfs

Busybox is 0.60.5

But the secret is having mount-FULL for the standard puppy realeases.

DO NOT DELETE THE MOUNT SYMLINK TO BUSYBOX AND REPLACE IT WITH THE "REAL" MOUNT BINARY THINGS WILL BREAK WHEN BOOTING THE STANDARD RELEASES

BTW I'm developping a much more simpler way to boot over the network and root is still a ramdisk where /mnt/home and /usr are mounted via nfs

#6 Post by Guest »

This is great, please give me a note at mplayer (the at symbol) vollbio (point) de, when you have it or you want someone to install it...
Thanx, Ron