Psword + Xsword sfs for Lucid Puppy

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Ibidem

Psword + Xsword sfs for Lucid Puppy

#1 Post by Ibidem »

Hello there,
Psword is sometimes nice. So is Xsword. And for when you don't want to navigate Psword's main interface to add a Bible, I hacked it into "Bibleman", a basic module manager.
So, here is an SFS with these and some dependencies. I may not have walked the dependency trees far enough; I expect, though, that this will run.
Contents:
Xsword (Compiled from the patched sources on the forum, with deprecated GTK functions enabled)
Psword 0.6 (+ bibleman script)
diatheke from Ubuntu
libsword8 1.6.1 from Ubuntu
Dependencies included from Ubuntu:
libgcrypt
libcurl3

Modules included:
KJV & Darby
I haven't tried stripping the binaries, apart from Xsword; also, all docs and other stuff from Ubuntu are included presently. So it may be possible to shrink the SFS significantly.
Here it is:http://cid-f785bf5e55218c8e.office.live ... =1&lc=1033
I haven't posted it here, since it's ~6.3 MB.
Uncompressed it's ~8-9 MB
To run Xsword:
xsword
It may be interesting to try "installmgr", which is Sword's module manager. That's the most likely thing to fail, if I didn't get every dependency.

I hope it's useful to someone.
Ibidem
Last edited by Ibidem on Sat 03 Jul 2010, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

Ibidem

#2 Post by Ibidem »

Looks like I did need more stuff, but not what I thought--apparently Chromium / Seamonkey includes libicu42 and libclucene0.
With those, it will run. I presently have a pet & an SFS containing libicu42, but not libclucene0.
The SFS and the pet are presently 14 MB, installing to ~28 MB.
I'll upload once I have them actually ready.
(Speaking of Psword, I hacked in text wrapping via fold -s; however, that version isn't in here. I'll include it if anyone asks.)
If I removed diatheke & psword itself, I'd probably save a bit of space; if someone can live without an install GUI such as bibleman (just use installmgr or wget), it would cut space down more. But I won't make that move until I here someone say it sounds good.

Ibidem.

Ibidem

#3 Post by Ibidem »

Well, see here for a pet and an SFS that should work on any Lucid Puppy (with nothing extra):
http://cid-f785bf5e55218c8e.office.live ... =2&lc=1033
Includes libicu42, libclucene0, libsword8, libgcrypt, etc. from Ubuntu. I have removed the docs for everything but diatheke and libsword8, as well as the man pages (which don't do any good in Puppy); the libs and binaries are pre-stripped.
Interesting parts:
xsword #the whole point of it
psword #Why I included diatheke
bibleman #To get packages graphically
installmgr #Part of the swordlib8 package; get packages from the CLI

Ibidem

Ibidem

Feel free to comment

#4 Post by Ibidem »

I noticed today that there were 103 views, and no-one had commented. Is this because the package isn't interesting, or because no one felt like commenting?

If anyone wants it packaged differently (split the pet up), I can try that. If you have tried it, please comment.
Ibidem

bones01

#5 Post by bones01 »

I can't speak for everyone else, but for me, I've looked briefly. I'm content with what I can get with e-Sword for now, and that has taken me ages to get it working.

however, I might give this a go and see what I think.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Ibidem

Not an E-sword replacement

#6 Post by Ibidem »

bones01 wrote:I can't speak for everyone else, but for me, I've looked briefly. I'm content with what I can get with e-Sword for now, and that has taken me ages to get it working.

however, I might give this a go and see what I think.

Bones
If you like the way E-sword is, this will probably not be the best choice: it is as feature-starved as E-sword is feature-rich. It is for someone who wants a small, simple program.
It should, however, work with no effort in Lucid.

bones01

#7 Post by bones01 »

Ibidem, your right, this isn't for me, but I can assure you it works on Lucid.

Good on you for putting this together.

There is also a .pet of Bibletime here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=30

(Sorry I can't remember how to hyperlink)

Cheers,

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB