Where to start on beginner programming?

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
2lss

#21 Post by 2lss »

After reading so much about bacon I decided to give it a try and I must say, I am really impressed! I downloaded the ide and made a few 'hello world' programs easy as pie. My only gripe is that you never get to see the c code between converting and compiling. Other than that, I like it :D
wish me luck
Good Luck!

gerry

#22 Post by gerry »

@Invisible_Hobo737- that's Puppy Linux!

gerry

disciple

#23 Post by disciple »

You could learn tcl/tk or gnocl and write a killer app to make people bring tcl back ;)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

vovchik

#24 Post by vovchik »

Dear 2lss,

You can generate the c code and inspect it by passing bacon the -n option. The documentation file describes all the switches. It can also create shared libs and other objects.

Good luck.

With kind regards,
vovchik

pa_mcclamrock

#25 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

disciple wrote:You could learn tcl/tk or gnocl and write a killer app to make people bring tcl back ;)
I learned programming, starting from zero knowledge, with Tcl/Tk. I picked it because it was the easiest general-purpose programming language I could find, including the easiest to produce a GUI in, and there was no wretched compiling required. After some initial difficulties arising from the fact that I didn't know anything about programming, it became almost as easy to write the programs and run them as to write HTML code and display it in a browser. Later on I picked up Gnocl so I could produce a GTK+ GUI using easy Tcl commands. Details available here: http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/icebox.html#Tcl/Tk. Programs, which I think have pretty comprehensible code that should help you learn the language, available here: http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/papenguinspacks.html.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

disciple

#26 Post by disciple »

If anyone does look at tcl they might also like to check out some of Rarsa's old programs - e.g. the tcl/tk tray volume control and the gnocl volume mixer.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER