Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Dec 2014, 07:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Audio
Aqualung on luci-202
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
tubeguy

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun 2010, 08:54    Post_subject:  Aqualung on luci-202  

Aqualung 1114 running on my lappie, with luci-202. Notice the EQ, the center frequencies are at musical fundamentals. In case you're wondering where 880 is, one does not mess with the midrange. Very Happy

I've sort of adopted Aqualung as a project. See this post for more, shoutouts to playdayz. Cool

Click for full view

Jim1911

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun 2010, 12:56    Post_subject:  

Have you been successful in getting Aqualung to play itunes files? Or identified the necessary plugins to play them?

Thanks,
Jim
tubeguy

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun 2010, 13:44    Post_subject:  

Jim1911 wrote:
Have you been successful in getting Aqualung to play itunes files? Or identified the necessary plugins to play them?

What's iTunes? No seriously, I never thought about it until now. I Googled it and it seems that iTunes format is mp4, but I don't have any mp4 files to test. However any file supported by libsndfile, libmodplug and FFmpeg should work, AFAIK. I don't know exactly what they all are though.

OK, I found an mp4 and it played:
http://chromium.googlecode.com/svn-history/r1878/trunk/samples/audio/sounds/hyper-reality/human-voice.mp4

tubeguy

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec 2010, 23:59    Post_subject:  

Now on luci-515.

Latest pet, compiled for Puppy 5.x: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/aqualung-0.9b11-Lucid.pet

TAP plugins here: http://tubeguy.org/puppybg/tap-plugins-0.7.1.tar.gz (Extract and run "make install" on the folder contents.)

Today I learned that the file ~/.aqualung/plugin.xml contains all plugin settings, I can now save that file and drop it in to a new Puppy install without having to redo all the plugin settings again. Cool!

In the pic is a setup I came up with to flatten out the response of my Grado SR60's. The cuts at bands 6 and 7 smooth out the somewhat ragged highs, cuts at 1 and 2 alleviate the slightly fat bottom, 5 and 6 seem to correct the sometimes too-forward midrange. Overall I get a clearer view into recordings, especially well-engineered records really shine now, like balance has been restored.

I also learned that one of the reasons Aqualung sounds so good is the MAD audio decoder library that Aqualung uses for MPEG audio which decodes to 24bit (preserved by Aqualung to the extent possible) and generally has much higher precision than most widely used libraries, this according to the Aqualung developer. Lots of hardware won't actually do 24 bit, but if the source is better than the hardware can handle, at least it will output the best possible signal. In production that would be called "professional headroom". In the case of Aqualung, using some extra CPU in order to do proper interpolation combined with native 24bit resolution results in a very high quality output.
aqualung_R-1114_luci-515.jpg
Description  1024x768
jpg

Download 
Filename  aqualung_R-1114_luci-515.jpg 
Filesize  212.62 KB 
Downloaded  347 Time(s) 
aqualung_R-1114_luci-515smaller.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   82.42 KB
 Viewed   1049 Time(s)

aqualung_R-1114_luci-515smaller.jpg