Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#201 Post by playdayz »

The "High Performance" graphics in luci-203 from the first message in this thread do not work correctly on reboot--they drop back to software rendering instead of hardware.

For now Menu -> Shutdown -> Restart the X server will re-establish the High Performance hardware rendering.

Here is the more permanent fix. X needs to find a /dev/dri/card0 but card0 is in /dev instead. I tried to create the symlink /dev/dri/card0 to /dri/card0 but every time the computer was rebooted X would clean out the /dev/dri folder and delete the card0 symlink. So I created a symlink to /dev andrenamed it dri and placed it inside of /dev, so now card0 is still created in /dev but X can find it also in /dev/dri. I am sure someone will tell me if this is bad form, but if they do I hope they will suggest another way to solve the problem ;-) I will fix it in luci-204.

Snail

Begrudging

#202 Post by Snail »

I agree completely that's not stable. Do you know how to fix it? If so, please let us know. I am working on one way of fixing it--which is to change our multimedia player to mplayer. The preliminary results have been very good in luci-202 and 203. Would you begrudge the 3 weeks it will take to get 5.1 ready with its significant improvements, instead of working more on gxine which has been erratic in most or all puppies I have ever used.
I apologise if I seemed begrudging. I'm not attempting to crack any whips (A truly futile exercise if I was.). And I do appreciate all your work. Thank you for the pet.

If I could "fix it", I would of course have posted the details. However, I suspect that diagnosis of a bug that wipes all traces as this one does would challenge even a relatively advanced user, which I most obviously am not.

It isn't the existence of bugs in isolation that I was commenting on, they are inevitable. Rather it was the impression given that you considered everything was rosy about 501, in which case bug reports on that version are a waste of everyone's time.

I do feel, based on the 501 thread and my own experience, that I may have been fortunate as a newcomer to Puppy to be introduced to 420 and 431 first. 501 has some great features but a noob would be thoroughly turned off by some of the bugs reported. Maybe the pressure Barry put on has resulted in a too-early final release of Lupu. Perhaps the intro could take you to a known issues/workarounds/won't-fix-in-this-version page on the wiki?.

playdayz

#203 Post by playdayz »

introduced to 420 and 431 first
No question. I agree. 4.3.1 especially was much more refined than Lucid Puppy 5.0 and 5.0.1. Not only the difference between the the 8th in a series (or whatever) but also the difference between Barry doing it and someone new doing it. But we learn fast, and 5.1 is going to rock ;-)

Also, I will be posting more in 5.0.1 making some of the new stuff available--such as the Mplayer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good news on gnome-mplayer. It plays full-screen when the High Performance graphics are installed. Whcih makes sense i guess. Gnome-mplayer is the (much) smaller frontend for mplayer. Probably this means we can include gnome-mplayer and then offer SMPlayer in Quickpet. And btw SMPlayer does not play full-screen either when the High Performance graphics are *not* installed.

Snail

501 and newcomers

#204 Post by Snail »

I am looking forward to 510. 501 is already astonishingly quick, on my machine, even for a Puppy. It's especially amazing, since it's Ubloatu-based. Please don't rush it, make sure it's rock solid before calling it a Lupu. Those that knowingly try out a Luci shouldn't mind problems, are actually looking for them to some extent. Once it gets branded as suitable for general use however there is the potential for a lot of heartbreak for the unwarned.

I do think that there could be advantages in more hand holding for newcomers to compensate for the difficulties that the less mature nature of 501 compared with 420 and 43x will cause them. The wiki and the initial help pages do not give any warning of these matters at present.

tubeguy

#205 Post by tubeguy »

playdayz wrote:
latest Aqualung with no crashes, errors or freezes. Updated repos, used PPM to install, spent about 15 minutes getting extra libs and viola,
If you remember and have a chance we could use what you did, what you had to add etc., in order to make a pet to put in the repository and make available to everyone. If not then no worries--letting us know that it works is a big help. Thanks.
OK, here's what I did:

1. Updated repos
2. Install aqualung_0.9~beta11 from PPM ubuntu-lucid-universe
- chose "examine dependencies"
- chose "download-and-install selected packages
- chose "archive.ubuntu.com"
- did not trim the fat
3. Install libcddb2: http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/u ... 1_i386.deb

I guess I didn't remember only needing one extra lib this time. I've spent hours kvetching to myself over missing libs with this thing over that last few weeks. Just so jazzed to have this version working!

Build version: R-1114

Homepage: http://aqualung.factorial.hu

This Aqualung binary is compiled with:

Optional features:
[+] LADSPA plugin support
[+] CDDA (Audio CD) support
[+] CDDB support
[+] Sample Rate Converter support
[+] iRiver iFP driver support
[+] Loop playback support
[+] Systray support
[+] Podcast support
[+] Lua (programmable title formatting) support

Decoding support:
[+] sndfile (WAV, AIFF, etc.)
[+] Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC)
[+] Ogg Vorbis
[+] Ogg Speex
[+] MPEG Audio (MPEG 1-2.5 Layer I-III)
[+] MOD Audio (MOD, S3M, XM, IT, etc.)
[+] Musepack
[ ] Monkey's Audio Codec
[+] WavPack
[+] LAVC (AC3, AAC, WavPack, WMA, etc.)

Encoding support:
[+] sndfile (WAV)
[+] Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC)
[+] Ogg Vorbis
[ ] LAME (MP3)

Output driver support:
[ ] sndio Audio
[+] OSS Audio
[+] ALSA Audio
[+] JACK Audio Server
[+] PulseAudio
[ ] Win32 Sound API

TAP-plugins are from http://sourceforge.net/projects/tap-plugins/, follow directions in readme for makefile editing.

Edit: Regarding the TAP plugins, I just ran make/make install without editing makefile, works that way.
Attachments
aqualung_desktop.jpg
(146.78 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
aqualung_installed_packages.jpg
(100.05 KiB) Downloaded 1075 times
found_missing.jpg
(45.7 KiB) Downloaded 1081 times
Last edited by tubeguy on Fri 11 Jun 2010, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

01micko

#206 Post by 01micko »

sc0ttman has posted this great game in the games section, a racing car game called strangely Racer :lol:

It works great with all the glx stuff in Luci

Of course I have been using it strictly for testing, trying not to have fun ( :P )

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#207 Post by playdayz »

Awesome, tubeguy. I can build it with your instructions. The "trick" I have been using to build some programs is to do exactly what you did, but at the point when it asks Download Only or Download and Install--I choose to Download Only. Then I have all the deb files in my download directory and I use a script to "undeb" them in that directory--so then I have them in /usr, /etc and so forth. I put all of those into a new folder named just for instance Aqualung and that folder becomes Aqualung.pet when I run dir2pet on it. Thanks.
(I will post that script later today, just in case anyone finds this interesting ;-) The script is named loop-undeb.sh which is what it does)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Good news today. It looks like we will be able to have Abiword 2.8.5 in Lucid Puppy 5.1. 2.8.5 is the current version--just released. We have 2.8.3 in Lucid Puppy 5.0. 2.8.5 compiled nicely in luci-204pre and it does not have any of the problems that spoiled versions of Abiword other than the 2.8.3 we used.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

More good news. Gnome-mplayer will now play full-screen with the basic graphics (in 2.04 coming soon). We will in high likelihood use it for 5.1, even though SMPlayer is slightly more feature-filled--SMPlayer is also 10 times bigger (2MB to 20MB). SMPlayer is so big because it uses Qt, but it is a good one and we will have it available in either Quickpet or the new, simple, Lucid repo in Puppy Package Manager in 5.1--that's some news too by the way. And odd as it sounds, gnome-mplayer is not really a gnome program, in that it does not have any gnome dependencies--it's deps are all gtk (for the interface).

tubeguy

#208 Post by tubeguy »

playdayz wrote:(I will post that script later today, just in case anyone finds this interesting ;-) The script is named loop-undeb.sh which is what it does)
I certainly find it interesting. I'm still on a mission to compile Aqualung from source, version 1142. It's more of a geek pride thing at this point, I just want to teach myself how. Not enough time in a day, I seriously don't know how you devs get so much done in the amount of time you do it.

playdayz

#209 Post by playdayz »

You are going to like this, tubeguy. I am using luci-204pre, which has the same mplayer as luci-203, and I just built Aqualung and all it needed was 4MB and about 6 dependencies--I think that mplayer has provided almost all of what it must need. This one would not work with 5.0.1 as it is--is yours working with 5.0.1--only with luci-203 I think but here it is. I will test it with 203 just to make sure now. <Yes. It works with luci-203.>

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/a ... -Lucid.pet

tubeguy

#210 Post by tubeguy »

playdayz wrote:You are going to like this, tubeguy. I am using luci-204pre, which has the same mplayer as luci-203, and I just built Aqualung and all it needed was 4MB and about 6 dependencies--I think that mplayer has provided almost all of what it must need. This one would not work with 5.0.1 as it is--is yours working with 5.0.1--only with luci-203 I think but here it is. I will test it with 203 just to make sure now. <Yes. It works with luci-203.>

Actually I'm on luci 202...maybe it's time I moved on! But 202 is so stable and fast I couldn't help loading it up and doing a remaster for myself.

http://tubeguy.org/puppybg/tube-ified.jpg

Note the menu button, something I feel completes the package. ;-)

I'm off to hit the streets for a while now, will get 203 later tonight. You, by the way, rock sir!

01micko

#211 Post by 01micko »

tubeguy wrote: I'm off to hit the streets for a while now, will get 203 later tonight. You, by the way, rock sir!
I agree :wink: except that I reckon it would be worth the wait for 204, i reckon it might be imminent.

Cheers

(nice button! I had a big assed Laney 100 watter at one stage, oh how I miss it! :cry: )

Jim1911

#212 Post by Jim1911 »

203 appears to be very stable, only problems that I've noted is the minor problem that Abiword has in printing graphics to a pdf file using CUPS-PDF.

My principal concern is with the Amarok sfs that's linked to Quickpet is broken with all luci versions. It has something to do with the changes to gxine and xine that have occurred since 5.01. Playdayz's Aqualung appears to work (although, the only music I've heard it play is from a CD), however, it will not play existing itunes music located on my HD which played fine with amarok in 5.01.

Hopefully, someone will provide an updated amarok that will play with luci, however, the move away from gxine may complicate that.

Cheers,
Jim

Congratulations on that fine review that's posted in another thread. Your fine work is gaining recognition. :D

tubeguy

#213 Post by tubeguy »

playdayz wrote:You are going to like this, tubeguy. I am using luci-204pre, which has the same mplayer as luci-203, and I just built Aqualung and all it needed was 4MB and about 6 dependencies--I think that mplayer has provided almost all of what it must need. This one would not work with 5.0.1 as it is--is yours working with 5.0.1--only with luci-203 I think but here it is. I will test it with 203 just to make sure now. <Yes. It works with luci-203.>

Rockin my world playdayz, confirmed it works in 203. Huge setup time saver. The only reason I've had so far to update repos was Aqualung, all the other stuff in quickpet is more than I'll ever need. I wish there was an upvote feature in phpBB.
Attachments
aqualung_luci-203.jpg
(143.83 KiB) Downloaded 460 times

prehistoric

CPU frequency scaling bug on AMD K8

#214 Post by prehistoric »

I'm running luci 203 at the moment, with most of the things I've used on previous versions, but have found a problem with CPU frequency scaling. This works on my Boxpup 431 installation on this machine, a dual-processor AMD 5000+ on a board with integrated AMD 690 graphics. I just rebooted to check. It even works on Lupu 5.00, but on luci 203 I get a message that it fails because the powernow K8 module is incompatible. I've tried this repeatedly, and even rebooted to make sure it reloaded modules. The powernow k8 module is definitely loaded.

One clue may be that some messages say they are from version 1.3-2, but the window with the menu for different kernel modules has number 1.3-1 on it. Have we slipped back a version? I remember having a problem some time back on 4.3.1.

The only other thought I have is that this might be related to using the high-performance Radeon graphics driver.

Added: Things just got weirder. I tried exiting X and reconfiguring with VESA. This seemed to allow CPU frequency scaling. Back to xorgwizard and the Radeonhd driver. Now CPU frequency scaling comes up as already running. And, just to complete my confusion, I see 1.3-2 on the window with the choice of modules. Acts like a race condition between two versions of the CPU frequency scaling tool.

smokey01

#215 Post by smokey01 »

01micko I downloaded and tried
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/luci-203-SCSI.iso
with racer. It did not work as it gave me a segmentation fault.
I also had to use vesa to get the graphics to work. Once I had vesa working I then installed the nVidea package from quickpup and now the graphics work as they should. I never had this problem with lupu-500. Mind you in 5.00 it did automatically set may graphics to a very low resolution until I installed the nVidea package so maybe there is no difference after all.

What luci did you use to get racer to work? was it the one above?

01micko

#216 Post by 01micko »

Hi Smokey

You need the nvidia glx package that I knocked up, look in my Lucid folder on your server.. :wink: 44M :shock: but the extra weight is all the glx stuff, It should overwrite the old nvidia module just fine. Don't try it in Puppy 5 because it wont work. It works perfectly for me on a late model geforce card.

Playdayz has put the link on the first page of this thread. I've tried Racer in 202, 203 and a woof version I knocked together closely following playdayz' work.

EDIT: sc0ttman has found another cool racing game KartRacing ... it's a bit more forgiving and works in fullscreen, so if you get Racer going try it too.

Cheers

playdayz

#217 Post by playdayz »

This will appear in luci-204 in a day or two or three.

I have got the first step in the PPM reorg. There is a new Packages file named Packages-puppy-Lucid-official and that is where we can put a listing for all pets that we have tested that install and run properly. The pets can come from the Lucid_Puppy directory or the puppy-5-official directory or any other of the directories on ibiblio.

This will be the first one listed in PPM. Guaranteed success! We just need to test and get some more.

I think I should be able to do the same with deb files in the ubuntu directories--so there would be two lists of packages that were definitely going to install and run. Then the adventurous users could enable the regular ubuntu the other puppy repos and experiment.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is everyone's chance to make a contribution and leave a mark on Lucid Puppy 5.1. Please test your favorite pets in luci-203 and then post them here so I can add them to the Lucid Puppy 5 repo and then they will show up on the opening screen of the Puppy Package manager. Thanks.

01micko

#218 Post by 01micko »

Hi all,

Still no luck with amarok yet Jim, but I'll get there, haveing D-bus errors with KDE-4, anyone know about those? I found some clues in Samedog's blog, he built Frankenpup, spup with KDE.

James, tubeguy.. if you don't mind a little command line stuff, I've made a script to package up stuff you grab from the Ubuntu repos.. The ideal way to use it would be to use PPM and "download only" your app and dependencies. They end up in /root. Now, then you make a directory outside your pupsave, unless you have heaps of space.... let's say if you have 50 meg of downloaded debs you may need 4 times that amount of space to create the package. It will make a Pet or an Sfs, you choose with the option -p or -s

Anyways, the best way to get started is type unpack-deb-make-package -h.. that will give you a basic help.

Untar the script and plonk it in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin

It's really easy :wink:

Cheers and enjoy!

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#unpack-deb-make-package 0.1 #GPL #01micko
#inspired by Woof's "2createpackages" script by BarryK
#make an sfs the easy way, 
#chuck all your debs in one folder and execute this script in that folder
#execute with "unpack-deb-make-package -s Name-of directory-you-want" for an sfs
#or "unpack-deb-make-package -p Name-of directory-you-want" for a pet
#TO DO: Support for tgz, txz, rpm???
#depends dpkg-deb
#v0.1 #2010-06-14

VER="0.1"

case $1 in
-s) #Make an sfs
set -x
mkdir $2 2>/dev/null
LIST=`ls`
for i in $LIST;do
ONEBINARYPKG=$i
PKGNAME="`basename $ONEBINARYPKG .deb`" #ex: bash_3.2-4ububtu1_i386
     #rm -rf sandbox2

dpkg-deb -x $ONEBINARYPKG $2/
     if [ $? -ne 0 ];then
      echo "ERROR: failed to unpack $PKGNAME"
      continue
     fi
     done
mksquashfs $2 ${2}.sfs
;;
-p) #make a pet 
set -x
mkdir $2 2>/dev/null
LIST=`ls`
for i in $LIST;do
ONEBINARYPKG=$i
PKGNAME="`basename $ONEBINARYPKG .deb`" #ex: bash_3.2-4ububtu1_i386
     #rm -rf sandbox2

dpkg-deb -x $ONEBINARYPKG $2/
     if [ $? -ne 0 ];then
      echo "ERROR: failed to unpack $PKGNAME"
      continue
     fi
     done
dir2pet $2
;;
-v)
echo "unpack-deb-make-package $VER"
exit
;;
-h)
echo "Welcome to Puppy's unpack-deb-make-package..."
echo "It makes an SFS or .pet file out of Debian/Ubuntu .deb files"
echo "It is up to you to make sure you have the correct files"
echo "NO Warranty"
echo "Options"
echo "   -h --displays this help and exits"
echo "   -v --displays version and exits"
echo "   -s --unpacks files and makes an sfs"
echo "   -p --unpacks files and invokes 'dir2pet'"
echo ""
echo "SYNTAX: unpack-deb-make-package <-option> some-dir"
echo "+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++"
echo "Licenced under the GPL"
echo "Author: 01micko, O1micko@gmail.com"
echo "+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++"
echo "Basic Instructions"
echo "cd to the directory where you have downlaoded your debs"
echo "Invoke with 'unpack-deb-make-package -s some-dir' for an sfs"
echo "or with 'unpack-deb-make-package -p some-dir' for a .pet"
echo "where 'some-dir' should reflect the package name you want and" 
echo "version number"
exit
;;
*)echo "ERROR: You must specify an option and directory name"
echo "It can be any name you want, NO spaces"
echo "SYNTAX: unpack-deb-make-package <-option> some-dir"
echo "Type 'unpack-deb-make-package -h' for more"
exit 2
;;
esac
###END###
Attachments
unpack-deb-make-package-0.1.tar.gz
(1.06 KiB) Downloaded 363 times

01micko

#219 Post by 01micko »

The Amarok saga :lol:

Well I've made an Amarok sfs that works.. after I had made several that didn't

The main problem is KDE 4.4 with Ubuntu is buggy! The internet is literally littered with bug reports about Ubuntu and KDE4, most of them unsolved. I was getting close, but to be honest the latest Amorok looks terrible, unintuitive, this old 1.4 version IMHO is much better, maybe it hasn't got the latest and greatest features, but it works!

I have made a KDE4 runtime sfs but it is subject to much testing before I dare upload it!

The sfs, is just the old sfs "remastered", that is, it has the updated Ubuntu libs and the Xine-libs added. I used the tool I posted above, it works to merge folders in old sfs too, if you name the old dir and the dir to create the sfs the exact same name. 8)

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/lucid/a ... -lucid.sfs 59MB

7d43a3f719e8f32847d1ab1acd58e316 amarok-1.4-lucid.sfs

Enjoy!

Cheers
Attachments
amarok.jpg
(52.84 KiB) Downloaded 1572 times
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 14 Jun 2010, 11:08, edited 3 times in total.

tubeguy

#220 Post by tubeguy »

01micko wrote:James, tubeguy.. if you don't mind a little command line stuff, I've made a script to package up stuff you grab from the Ubuntu repos..
How cool is that!

dpkg(makesquash+dir2pet)= 8)