Fluppy 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
TomRhymer

#101 Post by TomRhymer »

jemimah wrote:Tried with both the windows and the linux installer and I can't reproduce it. I wonder what you are doing differently than what I do.

The problem does have something to do with the size of the drive. I just installed Fluppy to an 8GB flash drive and was able to reboot after saving without any problems. But I get the problem with 2 different 512MB drives. Just my luck that I have a stack of 512MB drives that I use for testing Puppies.

Roy

#102 Post by Roy »

jemimah,

We're close... drilling down to /lib/firmware/b43 in your previously attached firmware file and depositing that buried b43 directory in Fluppy's /lib/firmware/ directory provided me with 2 access points in Pwireless2.

Then I broke it by not inputing a requested SSID. What are testers for, right? Pwireless won't show me those access points a second time. I suspect that something is running in the background, but don't know where to look.

-Roy

jemimah

#103 Post by jemimah »

To reset Pwireless2, first delete any profiles in the profiles tab. Then go to the debug tab and hit the reset button.

Roy

#104 Post by Roy »

Okay, I think I've got it this time. I deleted my save file and started over....

It needs your provided b43.tar.gz in /lib/modules/all-firmware/ and the unzipped b43 directory that contains all the actual firmware in /lib/firmware/.

I believe the /lib/modules/all-firmware/b43.tar.gz is supposed to unzip itself and copy into /lib/firmware/ by itself upon booting, but I'm not taking anything for granted just yet.

With your provided directories placed in those two places, Pwireless2 is giving me 5 different access points to choose from ATM.

Now, let's see if I can break it while trying to connect..... yep. I broke it. Deleted a duplicate profile. Selecting 'Refresh' under Debug tab of Pwireless2... doesn't seem to do anything. wpa-state=INACTIVE Selecting 'Reset Wpa_supplicant' appears to restart eth0 and wlan0, but wpa_state=INACTIVE in Debug tab and no access points appear in the Networks tab. 'Refresh' under Networks tab does nothing.

Reboot. Pwireless2 show zero access points. 'Refresh'...nothing. 'Reset'...nothing. 'Refresh'...nothing.

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace... zero access points.

Reboot... zero access points.

Jemimah, are you sure you want ME testing this?

-Roy

Roy

#105 Post by Roy »

/lib/modules/all-firmware/b43.tar.gz does not automatically unzip and install /b43 into /lib/firmware/. This must be done manually by the user.

I still can't get wireless access points to return (and there is one 20 feet away), even with the second save file. Something must be running in the background that I can't stop (or auto starting on each subsequent boot).

-Roy

current dmesg output:

Code: Select all

lp: driver loaded but no devices found
b43-phy0 ERROR: Fatal DMA error: 0x00000800, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000
b43-phy0 ERROR: This device does not support DMA on your system. Please use PIO instead.
b43-phy0 ERROR: CONFIG_B43_FORCE_PIO must be set in your kernel configuration.
b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 410.2160 (2007-05-26 15:32:10)
b43-phy0 ERROR: Fatal DMA error: 0x00000400, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000
b43-phy0 ERROR: This device does not support DMA on your system. Please use PIO instead.
b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 410.2160 (2007-05-26 15:32:10)
b43-phy0 ERROR: Fatal DMA error: 0x00000400, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

jemimah

#106 Post by jemimah »

I will add CONFIG_B43_FORCE_PIO to the next kernel and see if that will fix it.

Roy

#107 Post by Roy »

Thanks!

Looking forward to trying it.

-Roy

JustGreg

#108 Post by JustGreg »

I have an Intel Classmate with a 800 by 480 (7 inch) screen, Celeron 900 MHz processor, 512 Mbytes of ram and 2 Gbyte USB flash drive. Fluppy install correctly and runs. I did find the battery monitor did not work correctly. It detected the use of AC power, but, did not show the correct battery condition. The monitor has the battery discharged at all times and not charging. I also tried Lucid Puppy 5.0 and the battery monitor with Lucid worked correctly. The battery was charging properly.

I do not think the issue of the Classmate and battery monitor is a major one and needs to be fixed. In case of the Classmate and its small keyboard, I can only use it for a limited period before I give up typing and go to hunt and peck. This post is to tell how Fluppy works on different hardware.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

jemimah

#109 Post by jemimah »

Out of curiousity what are the contents of /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state?

There is a script in /root/Startup that decides whether to run vattery or vattery-old-version. Vattery-old-version works in some cases where the battery reports unexpected things, so you could try running it and see if that fixes it and I can adjust the script if it works.

JustGreg

#110 Post by JustGreg »

I checked /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state and found there is no BAT0 directory. However, there is a BAT1 directory with all the information. So the problem is the Vattery is looking in wrong directory. Will the vattery-old look at the correct directory?

Yes, I have tried both vattery an vattery-old-version in console terminal window. The vattery-old-version fails with an error saying no BAT0 directory. The vattery program just reports the battery is discharge due to the lack of the information. This is a ClassMate specific issue to me since everything else has BAT0.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

jemimah

#111 Post by jemimah »

That is pretty weird. I don't think either vattery is setup for that. I bet acpitool can figure it out, try 'acpitool -B'. At some point I should make a SuperVattery that tries all the methods.

JustGreg

#112 Post by JustGreg »

yes, jemimah, acpitool does work. If acpitool -b is used then the information is all on one line to the std output. With acpitool -B, one gets multiple lines of output.. I tried to make a symlink from BAT1 to BAT0, but, the proc directory will not allow it. Something to think about in the future.

I did play with acpitool. It is neat. It provides a lot of information.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

jamesbond

#113 Post by jamesbond »

jemimah,

Just trying out fluppy 002 in my newish laptop. Same problem with Roy - wireless firmware is not there (I copy from quirky), it's not extracted automatically (I untarrred myself). Apart from that, everything seems to be in order :D

Thanks!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

smokey01

#114 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah, fluppy is just brilliant on my kogan netbook.

Up until fluppy I couldn't be bothered using it but now I use it quite often. Many thanks.

Are you aware of any scheduling or planning software that will work with puppy? Osmo is nice but it doesn't seem to have a planning function. I would like something simple. It doesn't have to be as complex as MS Project. I did see something called ganttpv but I'm not sure if it works on puppy.

Regards

Smokey

jemimah

#115 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote: Are you aware of any scheduling or planning software that will work with puppy? Osmo is nice but it doesn't seem to have a planning function. I would like something simple. It doesn't have to be as complex as MS Project. I did see something called ganttpv but I'm not sure if it works on puppy.
Ganntpv needs python - which I don't think I want to add to the base install. Technosaurus made a python pet a while ago that seems to work quite well so you could probably get it to work with a little effort.

I did spend the better part of a day a few months ago looking for something like this in the Puppy size range, but came up negative. Most of the suggestions online were for cloud based services. :(

gronos04

#116 Post by gronos04 »

Hi Jemimah
Have been running fluppy002 for a few days on my Panasonic Toughbook cf-18

As with a number of others
Same problem with Roy - wireless firmware is not there (I copy from quirky), it's not extracted automatically (I untarrred myself).
Wireless is - ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.2.2kmpr
Suspend works from terminal but not from gui.
Touch screen setup is no go but that could be for any number of reasons which I haven't investigated yet.
Did the z cutter business but had no noticeable decrease in boot up time. Will get the stop watch.
Installed skype and qt 3.3.8 . No dependencies missing but it takes 35 seconds to open then fails to log me in. So something is busted there will investigate that also.
I find this a very polished puplet with a number of innovative ideas and plenty of useful applications.

Warren

jemimah

#117 Post by jemimah »

gronos04 wrote:Hi Jemimah
Have been running fluppy002 for a few days on my Panasonic Toughbook cf-18

As with a number of others
Same problem with Roy - wireless firmware is not there (I copy from quirky), it's not extracted automatically (I untarrred myself).
Wireless is - ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.2.2kmpr
Suspend works from terminal but not from gui.
Touch screen setup is no go but that could be for any number of reasons which I haven't investigated yet.
Did the z cutter business but had no noticeable decrease in boot up time. Will get the stop watch.
Installed skype and qt 3.3.8 . No dependencies missing but it takes 35 seconds to open then fails to log me in. So something is busted there will investigate that also.
I find this a very polished puplet with a number of innovative ideas and plenty of useful applications.

Warren
The zdrive cutter will only shave a off a few seconds, this is noticeable in Puppeee, which can boot in 10 or 15 seconds if tuned, but probably not in Fluppy. The main advantage for Fluppy is that it'll probably chop 15MB of the size of the zdrive.

smokey01

#118 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah wrote:
Ganntpv needs python - which I don't think I want to add to the base install. Technosaurus made a python pet a while ago that seems to work quite well so you could probably get it to work with a little effort.

I did spend the better part of a day a few months ago looking for something like this in the Puppy size range, but came up negative. Most of the suggestions online were for cloud based services. :(
I did find GanttProject which is very nice and I got it to work. It does need JRE which is 36M and it is about 9.5M so a bit large. I guess if you already have OO + JRE installed then it's not so much to add but definitely not recommended as part the the puppy suite.

It is a nice package though.

TomRhymer

Boot error problem

#119 Post by TomRhymer »

I just found out something about the 'boot error' problem. It's not just with the save file, adding any file to the flash drive after install causes it. This happens if you add a file either in Linux or using Windows. Rerunning the Bootinst program fixes it, but any time you add a file, you need to rerun it.

jemimah

#120 Post by jemimah »

Fluppy03 has been posted. Hopefully all the firmware is there now.

This also has the Xorg upgrade I did for Puppeee. This will enable PineTrail chipsets to workl, and some other cool features. All Xorg drivers are now installed.

I also added the acerhdf module and the nvidia module to the kernel.