-edit-

Booting, installing, newbie
Tamao

-edit-

#1 Post by Tamao »

-edit-
Last edited by Tamao on Tue 08 Apr 2014, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

Minimatter

#2 Post by Minimatter »

The pup-save is not only /root.

A frugal puppy installation operates using an overlay file system. The pup_save.2fs file contains the read-write layer. The other principal part, the pup_xxx.sfs file (which is normally copied into memory on startup), is a compressed, readonly file system. Both can and do contain files from any part of the visible hierarchy under /root, /etc, /usr, and so on. The basic explanation of the how these work is on Barry Kauler's site: http://puppylinux.com/development/howpuppyworks.html.

Your figure of 136 MB under /root is about normal. Most of it is internet cache, stored e-mails, personal files, and the like. To have a gigabyte of additional stuff in a frugal install is a lot. Have you been installing large pets? Most of us with frugal installs try to keep pup_save small by moving such programs into a second sfs.

To see what you really have in your save file, you might examine the contents of the pup_save file directly. pup_save.2fs is itself mounted as /initrd/mnt/pup_rw or pup_ro1, depending on whether pup_save.2fs is on a hard drive or usb memory stick.

Tamao

#3 Post by Tamao »

-edit-
Last edited by Tamao on Tue 08 Apr 2014, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

Minimatter

#4 Post by Minimatter »

With pup_save.2fs on a flash drive, the active read-write layer is kept in RAM, and the actual pup_save file updated periodically or at shutdown by the script /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy. Files you delete are marked by whiteout files. The script handles erasure from pup_save. Why the erasure has failed to work for the Firefox cache, I know not.

To delete the cache files permanently, try navigating to the cache directory via /initrd/pup_ro1/ and deleting everything in it there.

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Most of us with frugal installs try to keep pup_save small by moving such programs into a second sfs.
I have tried to do that with Firefox 3.6.3 to not have to reinstall it each time I test a new puppy. But I have cheated by not creatin g an additional sfs but just placing it on the HDD and done a link to the desktop to activate it when I need it.. I don't really trust me did that properly.

Could you give a hint on how to do such properly?

While one are booted it says one can not look at the pupsave file because it is in use of the OS.

I could look at other such though. Did you look at it when booted from the CD/USB live?

So how does one look on what is in it if one don't have a CD or DVD?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#6 Post by Béèm »

Tamao,
Look in the preferences
- the tab advanced. clear the cache and reduce the cache size (I have mine at 1MB)
- the tab security. If you have block reported attack sites and block reported web forgeries set, then huge sqlite files can be generated in the FireFox profile (where the cache directory is also). I think one of those is urlclassifier3. If huge, copy it outside the save file and delete it in the FireFox directory. Un-tick the two for-mentioned options.
I think there is another sqlite file also but can't remember the name.

Then in the same FireFox profile directory there are also two .mfasl files which can grow big as well. They can be safely deleted if huge indeed.

I remember vaguely that someone had that same kind of issue. I think changing cache file size and the operations on the files I referenced didn't cure the problem. There was another cause, but I don't know anymore what.
Maybe with the puppysearchlink in my sig you can find the posts about it.
Try things like save file fills, huge sqlite files, .mfasl cache not reduced etc..
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]