HowTo auto make Samba HOMES dir. shares, with no login?

Using applications, configuring, problems
sunburnt

HowTo auto make Samba HOMES dir. shares, with no login?

#1 Post by sunburnt »

I Googled & searched for info about Samba server auto creating home dir. shares for first time connects.
I found MANY different discriptions of how to do it, & none of them easy, should be a simple thing to do (HA HA).
Login was used to name the user's home share, I want to use the machine (HOSTNAME) instead, & no login.

If someone can't describe an easy way to accomplish this I'll be forced to resort to coding a setup myself.
Sadly there's no easy way for client & server to talk with one another, even on the same PC between different apps.

The client attempts to smbmount it's home share, & if it doesn't exist the client needs to tell the server to make one.
Ideally DHCPD would have a way to "port into it", so when it issued an IP add. it'd run a script checking for a home.
Sadly the dhcpd.conf file is read as a configuration file & not executed, so there's no way I know of to "port into it".
I can only think of one way to do this, I've used files for communicating & flags many times, it's crude but it works.

The client makes a specially named file on a public share for the server to find & waits for a reply message file.
The server runs a cron job that looks for the special files & uses the client's info in the file to make the home dir.
The server then makes a reply file on the public share for the client's cron job to find, telling it to smbmount it's home.

If anyone know an easy way to get Samba to auto make home shares, or if you have a better idea... please sing out!