Ipod OS4 reveal where you are. I feel secure :)

For discussions about security.
nooby

Ipod OS4 reveal where you are. I feel secure :)

#1 Post by nooby »

Good it is yes. They can find me when I have no idea where I am.

I only have to ask nearest Ipod dealer. :)

Most logically, the location information is tied to your device unique identification number. That's the only way to keep track of location moves, and the only way this feature can work for advertisers and app developers.

Sadly, this doesn't make the storage anonymous, like Apple claims: Even while it may not contain your name or social security number, the location information could in theory be crossed with a user database to pinpoint the real-time location or the location history of any individual. Recent cases have taught us that apparently is not that hard to have access to unique device identification numbers and their respective user names.

The lack of transparency is the problem.
The other alternative is to disagree to the terms of service and not install iOS 4.

Changing platforms is not an option, however, as Google and Android have exactly the same problem.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to 1984. [LA Times]
Wow Google and Android too?

I will be able to feel totally secure now. No more of that confusing times when I don't know where I am :)

1984 indeed

Edit sorry I should give a link to the original text.
http://gizmodo.com/5569711/great-news-a ... ell-others
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

russoodle

#2 Post by russoodle »

Ah yes, nooby...and maybe they'll also be able to tell you who you are, in case you're not quite sure about that :wink:

There's no hope for me though, since i don't own an iPod...i'll just have to try not to get lost or forget who i am :shock:
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

jemimah

#3 Post by jemimah »

Pretty much any cellphone is a potential tracking device. And if they know where you are, they almost certainly know who you are.

The best you can do besides not carrying one is turn it off when you're not using it.

Anonymity is for the most part dead - traded away for convenience.

Makoto

#4 Post by Makoto »

Yeah, I thought I'd heard a number of cellphones were already doing that.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

stu90

#5 Post by stu90 »

At least you have some iads hair care products advertisements to look at on iphone while they spy on you :lol:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20009446-260.html

jpeps

#6 Post by jpeps »