AbiWord

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
hei

AbiWord

#1 Post by hei »

I am using Abiword 2.7.8 and trying to do a mail merge printing and saving file. I created the .csv file with no problem using Geany. I inserted the mail merge fields in the .abw file template with no problem and saved the file. When I went to the terminal command-line and typed "
abiword -m filename.csv -p filename.ps filename.abw". I received this error message "After version 2.8 no-longer using --print option has been removed. You can achieve the desired behavior using AbiWord command-line tools and then piping the output to a printer spool." I tried this and it did not work. "abiword --to=ps --to-name=filename.ps://1 filename.csv | lpr" If anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I would be very grateful for the help.

charlie6

#2 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
If anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I would be very grateful for the help.
I already tried to "mail merge" using Abiword - it works using the Abiword " how to " on Abiword web site here:
http://www.abisource.com/help/en-US/how ... merge.html

I cannot help you about checking the command code you mentionned in your post.

I gave up with mail merge as my need was to find a mail merge working like on MSWorks (i.e. a microsoft office suite combinating a database + wordprocessor to perform the mail merge in a userfriendly wise).

To produce the .csv file containing the fields to be merged, a database should be needed which is featured with csv export of selected fields: SQLite as the one present on Puppy 4.3.1 and earliers does it ...(I manually got a .csv file from SQLite ) but it requires so much time to (manually) produce the .csv file that I left that idea aside till now. I believe there could be a possibility to make a GUI to ± automatize that process ..but till now I am not that clever enough to write program codes =-)) !

Hope this helps a bit
Cheers, Charlie