No Audio IBM Thinkpad 315ED

Booting, installing, newbie
pitbull

No Audio IBM Thinkpad 315ED

#1 Post by pitbull »

Problem: No audio. Can't see the audio control panel, except for the speaker icon on the lower right toolbar. Clicking it does nothing. No audio at all.

Laptop: IBM Thinkpad 315ED 166 Mhz, 48 MB RAM
Configuration: Puppy Linux Installed on 2 GIG Hard Drive

Question: Is there some kind of sound configuration tool I can use like sndconfig? I know I can do audio as I have run it with Feather Linux, only from CD though. Feather worked with this driver: YAMAHA OPL3SA2 which it included.

Related problem when I ran Puppy on a new 2.4 Mhz PC box, audio playback worked, but input recording from a mic sounded slowed down, wrong sampling rate perhaps?

Was really surprised that Puppy ran just fine off the CD given the old computer, and installed too. Everything else is great, GAIM, iCal, Mozilla etc, very well set up. Reminds me of the thrifty old days with Macs (circa early 90's) And get this, threw in a wireless card which worked with very little effort using the auto driver select. Wow, and to think someone told me to toss this laptop away!

Big thank you to Barry Kauler

Pitbull
Puppy Linux makes old computers like new!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Hi Pitbull :)

Sound needs to be upgraded to ALSA but Barry freely admits that this is not a priority. Maybe if someone is up for making sense of ALSA we could upgrade this sooner? There is a way of doing a modprode (typing in a command and then adding it to your startup) and I hope some smart person will help you with this. I was helped with this but can not remeber the procedure. The trick is getting your soundcard working (if possible) and then adding this to the main booting - so please stick around, I am very hopeful that Helpful Puppys will come to your assistance (come on guys - you know you can do it)

I think your experience is the common one. Puppy just works. 1.0.4 is released very soon, which is all great fun for us . . .

Sadly it does not help your situation with the Yamaha - but hardware is dealt with here:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/PuppyHardware

Welcome to Puppy. Have Fun. Be Frisky. :roll:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pitbull

#3 Post by pitbull »

Thanks Lobster, maybe something will come up in the next version. :wink:
Puppy Linux makes old computers like new!