DuDE-0.4.1

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
zigbert

#141 Post by zigbert »

technosaurus
xfce4-taskmanager works great, but what I miss the most is the search-function. I most often know what to kill, but to find it in the list is harder. Especially in the later releases of Puppy/DuDE which have more background processes, and the list in the taskmanager is loooong.

I have personally nothing against replacing Pprocess, but it could also be an interesting weekend-project to improve Pprocess. What are the limitations/weaknesses of Pprocess compared to the xfce4-taskmanager? In the end, - all that we want is a taskmanager that pleases us.

If you find out how to override ctrl+alt+esc, please share. - it would be a logical option to set in DuDE.

Sigmund

technosaurus

#142 Post by technosaurus »

We figured out how to make ctrl+alt+delete (not sure about escape) work in 4.2.X if I recall... some other puplets as well

Pprocess is ok for what it is, but I like being able to kill a process or make it "nice" through a quick right click menu instead of having to navigate the cramped right-side menus for each process.

xfce4-taskmanager is only 39kb (just slightly larger in the scheme of things), starts faster and uses fewer resource than pprocess (things that a rewrite won't fix) and it has had quite a bit of development already with most of the bugs worked out and nice little extra features like ram and cpu monitor and preference settings.

How is something like this for a "search" function...?

killall `Xdialog --stdout --inputbox "enter program name to kill" 0 0`

#it won't do tab completion though :( ... maybe something with find
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

zigbert

#143 Post by zigbert »

technosaurus wrote:starts faster and uses fewer resource than pprocess (things that a rewrite won't fix)
Absolutely true!!!!

But xfce4-taskmanager inspired me, so I will anyway ship a Pprocess2 with much improved / simplified use. List updates every second, easy filtering, click to kill, moving watching of log-files to pcc, faster startup,

Sigmund

technosaurus

#144 Post by technosaurus »

Zigbert, pprocess2 looks good so far - At the rate you are going, you'll have an entire OS GUI written in gtkdialog

You must be psychic or something though. This was just committed:
3 hours Make SearchFunc for tree view case insensitivemaster ...
5 hours Use a personal SearchFunc for the tree view ...
I haven't tried it out yet. It does seem that pprocess used a little less CPU
The latest commits also mostly replace the need for top/htop.
The hacks that I added are mainly targeted toward functions to ease transition for long time M$ users. I posted a new & improved version this morning, but let me know if you have suggestions to make it better integrate with DuDE (for instance when starting PCC should I add a parameter to make it go to a certain menu ... I don't often use those functions)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

zigbert

#145 Post by zigbert »

technosaurus wrote:I posted a new & improved version this morning, but let me know if you have suggestions to make it better integrate with DuDE (for instance when starting PCC should I add a parameter to make it go to a certain menu ...
I will upgrade pcc with a new tab 'Processes' where user can watch kernel messages etc. It will also include a link to xfce4-taskmanager or Pprocess. - whatever is available. This is great stuff, - let's put just a little effort in both solutions, and then see what fits us best.

Sigmund

zigbert

#146 Post by zigbert »

technosaurus
start pcc with process-tab like this

Code: Select all

pcc -p processes
it will start either pprocess OR xfce4-taskmanager from the 'process manager button'

Attachments
pcc.tar.gz
(6.49 KiB) Downloaded 531 times

stu90

#147 Post by stu90 »

New Dark/metallic theme for dude.

Image Image

Loads into new global them
adds 4 new GTK/JWM dark themes
adds new icon set
adds new wallpapers
adds new volume icon
adds new rox-filer tool bar icons
adds some (not all) GTK and Mime icons
adds freespace to jwm-tray
adds new blinky to jwm-tray

download 787.53KB
http://www.sendspace.com/file/gusush

removes connect and trash icons from desktop + any icons you have previously added, so you will need to re add them - also best to change colours in rox filer options.

zigbert

#148 Post by zigbert »

DuDE's not dead :D
Just a reminder that things are happening.... Favorites menu supports URLs

zigbert

#149 Post by zigbert »

technosaurus

This starts Pprocess with hotkey Ctrl+Alt+Delete in JWM.

<Key mask="AC" key="Delete">exec:pprocess</Key>
Will be in DuDE 0.4

Sigmund

zigbert

#150 Post by zigbert »

Version 0.4
See main post

Not to much new fancy stuff here. DuDE 0.3 worked just fine, so this is more like polishing. The 2 major improvements is URLs in the Favorites menu, and extended use of hot-keys. Read more in the second post.

There are still items in my todo-list, so I will continue to make our dude even better. Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Sigmund

--------------------------------------------------------------
Changelog
- Define URL in Favorites menu.
- Improved user interface in Pmenu-Favorites.
- PCC has got a new 'Processes' tab.
- Use optical48.png as Rox MIME for iso-image. (thanks to stu90)
- cleanup menu in pinstall.sh
- Quickpet button in pcc (thanks to 01micko)
- Ctrl+Alt+Delete opens Pprocess
- Ctrl+Alt+x opens Pshutdown
- Alt+Up and Alt+Down adjusts volume (requires Pmusic)
- Alt+right/left goes to next/previous song in Pmusic playlist
- Ptray has got new button beside 'Dock area' with info about tray-apps.
- Updated globicons with news in Quirky 1.2
- Updated pcc (for Quirky) with set_hwclock_type, gtkLPQ, ipinfo and grub4dos (if exist)
- Updated fixmenus, fixmenus_favorites, pmenu, pcc, ptheme
- Bugfix: improved detection of description for Favorites menu (thanks to DaveS)
- Bugfix: improved detection of most-used apps
- Bugfix: detection of symlinked .desktop files (thanks to ejb)
- Bugfix: Pmenu created /root/gtk - debug file (thanks to DaveS)
- Bugfix: Mouse-theme was lost when activating Ptheme without mouse-theme defined.

Jim1911

#151 Post by Jim1911 »

Installed DuDE-0.4 over DuDE-0.3 running with luci-004. So far I've noted no problems or differences except for the corners, MicksClock shows up as a small black rectangle, see attached.
Attachments
desktop.png
(169.84 KiB) Downloaded 722 times

01micko

#152 Post by 01micko »

Jim1911 wrote:Installed DuDE-0.4 over DuDE-0.3 running with luci-004. So far I've noted no problems or differences except for the corners, MicksClock shows up as a small black rectangle, see attached.
Hi Jim

That's because Barry has ditched yaf-splash in woof in favour of gtkdialog-splash. A bit disappointing in my opinion, it also breaks my PCountdown timer as yaf-splash has a timer function as well as the clock.

Yaf-splash is still there, but it might need the call directly to it's location in /usr/X11R7/bin/yaf-splash

Cheers

Some time later....

Jim, here's a pet for micksclock, it calls yaf-splash just like I said earlier.

Sigmund, this is probably the best solution because yaf-splash, AFAIK is in /usr/X11R7/bin in all Puppies.
Attachments
micksclock-1.pet
(635 Bytes) Downloaded 640 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jim1911

#153 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote: Jim, here's a pet for micksclock, it calls yaf-splash just like I said earlier.
Can't believe how quick you are. Works good in luci-2.0.5. One problem though, the font is small, how is that changed?

Thanks,
Jim

01micko

#154 Post by 01micko »

Hi Jim

Do you mean tiny as in only a few pixels high? (The font that is). I have seen this before and am trying to debug it.

Can you do me a favour and run "MicksClock" in a terminal, then just click it as normal to kill it and post the terminal error if any. I suspect you will get "can't load font" or some such error.

I have MicksClock running perfectly in 205 but am yet to install DuDE.

Cheers

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sometime later... again.....

Jim, I've got to the bottom of it, a bug in Luci. mkfontscale and mkfontdir are missing! So, when Pwidgets are installed the fonts.dir and fonts.scale files go awol. Not good. Yaf-splash must read these to scale the font.

Solution.

Install attached pet, in a term run

# mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF
# mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF 
Restart X.

All fixed. :)
Attachments
font-utils-1.pet
(13.64 KiB) Downloaded 615 times

01micko

#155 Post by 01micko »

Ah, I have fonts on the brain.. that's a good thing Sigmund :wink:

Have some fun with this... :D

#!/bin/sh
#syntax: MicksClock bgcolor fgcolor abbr-font-name (dejavu, ionic, monofonto)
BG=$1; [ ! "$BG" ] && BG=black
FG=$2; [ ! "$FG" ] && FG=gray15

HEIGHT=`xwininfo -root | grep -m 1 '\geometry' | cut -f4 -d ' ' | cut -f2 -d 'x' | cut -f1 -d '+'`
WIDTH=`xwininfo -root | grep -m 1 '\geometry' | cut -f4 -d ' ' | cut -f1 -d 'x'`
SIZE=$((HEIGHT/5))
#PLACEMENT_X=$((RANDOM % 200))
#PLACEMENT_Y=$((RANDOM % 200))
#added different fonts #Mick
FONT=$3; [ ! "$FONT" ] && FONT="-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1"
if [[ $3 == "dejavu" ]]; then FONT="$FONT"
	elif [[ $3 == "ionic" ]]; then FONT="-misc-ionic charge-medium-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1"
	elif [[ $3 == "monofonto" ]]; then FONT="-larabiefonts-monofonto-medium-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-m-0-iso10646-1"
fi
/usr/X11R7/bin/yaf-splash -font "$FONT" -bg $BG -fg $FG -outline 0 -clock -geometry $((WIDTH+PLACEMENT_X))x$((HEIGHT+PLACEMENT_Y))+0+0
:D Cheers

zigbert

#156 Post by zigbert »

Mick
I have updated MicksClock with your code that fixes both
- path to yaf-splash
- font improvement.

What do you think we should do with the loss of mkfontscale and mkfontdir. Are they meant to be in Lupu, or should we include them into Pwidgets?

Makes me happy that you feel 'fonty' these days :wink:
Sigmund

01micko

#157 Post by 01micko »

Hi Sigmund

It's a Luci bug in the beta versions, mkfontscale and mkfontdir will be in the next version I'm sure :wink: . I have reported it in the Luci-205 thread. They exist in Puppy 5.

Also there is a small bug in my code just above your post, here's the updated script:

#!/bin/sh
#syntax: MicksClock bgcolor fgcolor abbr-font-name (dejavu, ionic, monofonto)
BG=$1; [ ! "$BG" ] && BG=black
FG=$2; [ ! "$FG" ] && FG=gray15

HEIGHT=`xwininfo -root | grep -m 1 '\geometry' | cut -f4 -d ' ' | cut -f2 -d 'x' | cut -f1 -d '+'`
WIDTH=`xwininfo -root | grep -m 1 '\geometry' | cut -f4 -d ' ' | cut -f1 -d 'x'`
SIZE=$((HEIGHT/5))
#PLACEMENT_X=$((RANDOM % 200))
#PLACEMENT_Y=$((RANDOM % 200))
#added different fonts #Mick
FONT=$3; [ ! "$FONT" ] && FONT="-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1"
if [[ $3 == "dejavu" ]]; then FONT="-misc-dejavu sans-bold-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1"
	elif [[ $3 == "ionic" ]]; then FONT="-misc-ionic charge-medium-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1"
	elif [[ $3 == "monofonto" ]]; then FONT="-larabiefonts-monofonto-medium-r-normal--$SIZE-0-0-0-m-0-iso10646-1"
fi
/usr/X11R7/bin/yaf-splash -font "$FONT" -bg $BG -fg $FG -outline 0 -clock -geometry $((WIDTH+PLACEMENT_X))x$((HEIGHT+PLACEMENT_Y))+0+0
Oh, forgot to mention those font calls depend on Pwidgets.

Cheers

zigbert

#158 Post by zigbert »

Also there is a small bug in my code just above your post
got it

Jim1911

#159 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:Hi Jim
Jim, I've got to the bottom of it, a bug in Luci. mkfontscale and mkfontdir are missing! So, when Pwidgets are installed the fonts.dir and fonts.scale files go awol. Not good. Yaf-splash must read these to scale the font.

All fixed. :)
Yes, a few pixels high, and yes your pet corrected the problem. :D

@zigbert,
One for DuDE, under PCC Install menu, Quick install and Defaults both open the Defaults script.

Cheers,
Jim

zigbert

#160 Post by zigbert »

- fixed link to quickpet in pcc - thank Jim
- updated MicksClock - thank Mick