Suggestions for Forum Improvement

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#261 Post by Flash »

aarf wrote:forum is currently not holding login as well as it does sometimes.
I'm not sure what you mean. The forum is set to log you out after 2 hours of no activity. Originally it was one hour, but that was just too short. I haven't heard any complaints since I changed it to 2 hours.

Could you be exceeding the 2 hour limit without realizing it?

KF6SNJ

#262 Post by KF6SNJ »

I have noticed, as I am sure other have, that there those times when the topic is about a Linux distro other than Puppy. Perhaps we can put a sub-forum in the Off-Topic area for other Linux Distros? While I wouldn't expect it to get a lot of use, it would certainly make it easier for people to ask questions about and discuss other distros. Just a thought.
The only windows I have are those on my home.

aarf

#263 Post by aarf »

too many times
Attachments
invalidsession.jpg
(38.51 KiB) Downloaded 1348 times

Makoto

#264 Post by Makoto »

Two hours? Huh. A few months ago (somewhere around that time), I was logged out while answering a somewhat long PM. I'm sure I didn't spend two hours typing my reply. :)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Minnesota

small but technical program issue

#265 Post by Minnesota »

Small but technical issue....would it be possible to modify the program to place the active cursor at the first field for input. This applies to the log in when posting as well as for the search field and probably other fields. The cursor is in never land. Placing the cursor at the first field is simply a user convenience. Thanks.

Others have stated it, I am sure, I did not read the entire thread, but it is very difficult to find what is new or "today's" activity. I enter Today in the search field.. but I am not certain I always get the latest activity. I have tried today's date such as June 28, that yields interesting results. Reason of course it to see what is happening in the puppy world. Again thanks. Must say overall fun and interesting forum.. .and of course thanks to everyone involved in PUPPY!

8-bit

#266 Post by 8-bit »

Her I am logged in for 10 minutes and go to post a reply to a message and I first get a message in the bottom of the seamonkey bar stating "waiting for Murga-linux.com.
Then I get a log on window show up.
This is a random thing, but it seems I spend a lot of time waiting on the forum.
And I assume it cannot be because a great number of people are accessing the forum.

So, do I blame my ISP or the forum?

It is frustrating to log on and be checking messages only to be logged off and loose the new messages as being not new when reconnecting.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#267 Post by Flash »

I can't explain the random logging off thing. It hasn't happened to me, so I suppose it's something to do with your ISP. If you log into the forum, shut down your browser without logging out, then immediately restart the browser and go to the forum, are you still logged in?

The forum is very slow to respond at certain times of the day and on certain days of the week. Like Monday through Friday. :lol: I don't know that there's anything John Murga can do about that, that wouldn't involve him paying more money to our host.

Makoto

#268 Post by Makoto »

I stay logged in while doing that, yes. (I recently accidentally closed my browser while I was still logged in, so I've technically already tested it. :) )

The server being slow still wouldn't cause someone to be logged out, though, you'd think. Isn't the login largely dependent upon cookies on the end-user's computer?

8-bit: If that happens, you can try hitting the Back button and resubmitting your message/post (probably should make sure it hasn't been submitted, however), or copy the entire message/post and paste it to a new message or post if necessary.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Pizzasgood

#269 Post by Pizzasgood »

Suggestion: Make the ^%#$^%^@$ &&% ^#%^#%4@#%$@# forum search understand the humble underscore sign, rather than breaking what is clearly a single very specific computer-related term into two very generic terms that pull up volumes of unrelated nonsense. (IIRC it has the same issue with hyphens).

Yes yes I know all about the Puppy Google Search, but the forum search has certain features that make it very useful, such as being able to sort the results by date so I don't get a bunch of unrelated nonsense from 2006.

(Those aren't self-censored words up above, by the way. I just held "Shift" and mashed keys until I felt better.)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

aarf

#270 Post by aarf »

so whose doing the modifications if it isnt you pizza?
i was under the impression that using quotation marks matched for exactly what was inside "big_dog" or is it 'big_dog'

Pizzasgood

#271 Post by Pizzasgood »

I can change settings, but I don't have access to the server to change code. Otherwise I would have tweaked a bunch of things by now.

Quotes don't help on our search.

IMHO, search engines should always come with a check box saying "Search for EXACTLY this string". Even google doesn't do that. They come close, but they still add some fuzz.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

aarf

#272 Post by aarf »

google advanced search has time settings http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q ... era&rls=en
Attachments
gsearch.jpg
(31.14 KiB) Downloaded 1700 times

bigpup

improvement to "view posts since last visit"

#273 Post by bigpup »

After log in, in the upper right side of the screen there is the selection:
view posts since last visit.
It would be nice if when you selected this search request, it gave you an option as to what part of the forum to check and not the entire forum. The way it works under search would be ideal. When you select search it gives you the option to select what section of the forum to search.

aarf

Re: improvement to "view posts since last visit"

#274 Post by aarf »

bigpup wrote:After log in, in the upper right side of the screen there is the selection:
It would be nice if when you selected this search request, it gave you an option as to what part of the forum to check and not the entire forum. The way it works under search would be ideal. When you select search it gives you the option to select what section of the forum to search.
partial solution:
so beginners section is f=2
put
"f=2" puppy site:www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=2
where "puppy" is what you are searching for
into
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls= ... =&gs_rfai=
then if you date define it as above you are mostly there.
users is f=3
etc.

aarf

#275 Post by aarf »

bigpup wrote:After log in, in the upper right side of the screen there is the selection:
so i been thinking more on this. if you know where you want to look why not just go there and look

aarf

#276 Post by aarf »

here we go again
search. the major drawback with search is that when it finds something it links to the topic beginning and not to the exact post where the match was found. in long topics with many posts this isnt exact enough.
perhaps ask or search at the phpBB forum for a fix.

Pizzasgood

#277 Post by Pizzasgood »

When in the search window, on the left column of the options there is an entry to "display results as:" with the options "posts" and "topics". It defaults to topics. If you switch it to "posts", it will show the actual post that it was found in, and you can jump directly to that position in the thread by clicking on the "post-icon" rather than the thread link.

Note that a small deficiency is that when it shows the posts where it found matches, it only shows previews, and starts from the top of the post, so you might not actually see the bit that matched in the preview.
Attachments
screenshot-2.png
The search option.
(9.19 KiB) Downloaded 1486 times
screenshot-3.png
Then use the "post-icon" instead of the thread subject.
(17.39 KiB) Downloaded 1439 times

Aitch

#278 Post by Aitch »

There is a search for 'this exact wording or phrase' in google advanced

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q ... as_qdr=all

I just added searching for codebox strings which seems hard to find, but someone may have a better implementation

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 139#447139

aarf, have added your tip, thanks

Aitch :)

bigpup

#279 Post by bigpup »

Thanks for all the info on how to do a search, but this is a suggestion on how to improve the forum. The specific feature in the upper right side of the screen. The selection:

aarf

#280 Post by aarf »

Pizzasgood wrote:When in the search window, on the left column of the options there is an entry to "display results as:" with the options "posts" and "topics". It defaults to topics. If you switch it to "posts", it will show the actual post that it was found in, and you can jump directly to that position in the thread by clicking on the "post-icon" rather than the thread link.

Note that a small deficiency is that when it shows the posts where it found matches, it only shows previews, and starts from the top of the post, so you might not actually see the bit that matched in the preview.
thanks pizza works well . That was my main reason for using and advocating google previously now i may have to change.