#1 Post by efiguy »

Hi group,

Wish to publish my concern over some recent forum emails, elaboration follows:

On June 25th,
)
john@murga.org New Private Message has arrived Jun 25

-TEXT-

" Hello efiguy,
You have received a new private message to your account on "Puppy Linux Discussion Forum" and you have requested that you be notified on this event. You can view your new message by clicking on the following link:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/privms ... lder=inbox

Remember that you can always choose not to be notified of new messages by changing the appropriate setting in your profile. "
(

-- I answered it in a new tab, and it was from a well known and respected moderator - concerned about my emoticons and ...........

so probabaly after 4 years of disuse, logged into my profile which seemed to be all defaults and in order - so logged out

- - Today this came in mail -

)
john@murga.org Topic Reply Notification - Made my webpage Jun 27

-TEXT-

Date: Jun 27, 2010 9:41 PM
"Hello,

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "Made my webpage" at Puppy Linux Discussion Forum. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ?p=xxxxxxx

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the "Stop watching this topic link" found at the bottom of the topic above, or by clicking the following link:"
(

- - Now there are 2 unusual items about this ViewTopic, that it wants a login onto the forum - and that it is the wrong topic number, which is really -

---- http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55758 ---- for an older May 23rd post.

-- A search with topic xxxxxxx did not produce a result but trying to view it, trys to force a login.

My concerns are:

* Is someone trying to impersonate a moderator - as I have never before had a personal message like that and did not receive an acknowledgement??

* Has some "Bad guy gotten into my personal systems??

* Or is some one found a method of impersonating members - as I recall last year of that alleged in discussion about m**ic#7 and some others??

??? And to find out if others are experiencing any similar mail actions from the forum???

This is really me "a worried efiguy" Posting from a "ram based Puppy" - Yea

Jay

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Beware your own mind :shock:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 158#398158
* Is someone trying to impersonate a moderator - as I have never before had a personal message like that and did not receive an acknowledgement??
It is a benign bot message sent out by the forum that usually goes out if a thread is being watched. It is possible that John Murga is checking on active/non active members. However I have no knowledge of that possibility.
Depends if you are really bad. I would suggest no.
* Or is some one found a method of impersonating members - as I recall last year of that alleged in discussion about m**ic#7 and some others??

Private Message those who you think are being impersonated. Impersonation has happened on IRC, it is easy enough to expose. I don't think that is the case here :)
??? And to find out if others are experiencing any similar mail actions from the forum???

Jay
Wear your bacofoil with pride Jay. I get asked to sign in with my details several times a week.
I find this about as scary as teddy bears.

You are safe from what I have heard in your thread. You can leave your aluminium cage . . . :wink:

It is of course better and right to ask - well done
Hope that helps :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Makoto

#3 Post by Makoto »

Actually, a spammer posted to the "Made my webpage" topic within the last few days. It was reported and removed.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

I'll just go and stand in the corner with my dunce cap
I was being impersonated by someone who thinks they know what they are talking about :oops:
Last edited by Lobster on Tue 29 Jun 2010, 04:48, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Unusual forum emails

#5 Post by Flash »

efiguy wrote:... it was from a well known and respected moderator - concerned about my emoticons and ...
Say what? :?
...You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "Made my webpage" at Puppy Linux Discussion Forum. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. <blah blah blah>

-- A search with topic 430290 did not produce a result but trying to view it, trys to force a login.

My concerns are:

Jay
Rest easy. The reason for the notification is that a spam message was posted to that thread. The spam was removed. That's why the link wouldn't work when you clicked on it.

Pizzasgood

Re: Unusual forum emails

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

Flash wrote:
efiguy wrote:... it was from a well known and respected moderator - concerned about my emoticons and ...
Say what? :?
That was me. I had a comment that was off topic, so I used PM rather than clutter up a thread. Actually, it was about bbcode, not emoticons. They're treated as two separate things by the forum software.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]