C/C++ Development in Puppy Linux

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
muggins

#61 Post by muggins »

No, it's not difficult. First download the surce code for wxGTK, extract it somewhere, change to the created directory, then do:

Code: Select all

./configure prefix=/usr
make
make install
Then follow the same procedure with codeBlocks.

clarf

Re: Anjuta-2.4.2 SFS-File

#62 Post by clarf »

Wosh wrote:@ All Puppy Developers

I have fixed the Anjuta bugs and created an Anjuta-SFS file. But there is still one problem that prevents it's release. In current Puppy 4.00 anjuta-2.4.2-p400.sfs is mounted before pup_400.sfs.

Anjuta depends on a lot of library-versions from glib to gtk+ that have not made it into Puppy yet. So it is necessary to mount Anjuta as last SFS-File to activate the new library versions. I have searched /etc to find out where pup_400.sfs and the other sfs-files are mounted. No clue. Help neded.

The alternative would be to build pets from all new libraries and install them first. Very cumbersome!
Hi Wosh, I followed this tread from the beginning, you made an Anjuta SFS file, do you?. I'll like to test it in some Puppy series, I know that you provided a guide to build it from the scratch but I lacking of some basic Linux knowledge to reach that.

Could you provide a link please, Thank you in advance,

clarf.

gyro

codeblocks 8.02 + wxWidgets 2.8.10

#63 Post by gyro »

If anyone's interested I have successfully compiled, and use, codeblocks 8.0.2 and wxWidgets 2.8.10 on Puppy 4.1.2.

I produced an .sfs file "wx_cb.sfs" which contains them both.
When loaded with "devx_412.sfs", it all works.

I choose wxWidgets because I want to be able to compile and run my GUI apps on both Linux and Windows, (and even on Macs).

gyro

clarf

Re: codeblocks 8.02 + wxWidgets 2.8.10

#64 Post by clarf »

gyro wrote:If anyone's interested I have successfully compiled, and use, codeblocks 8.0.2 and wxWidgets 2.8.10 on Puppy 4.1.2.

I produced an .sfs file "wx_cb.sfs" which contains them both.
When loaded with "devx_412.sfs", it all works.

I choose wxWidgets because I want to be able to compile and run my GUI apps on both Linux and Windows, (and even on Macs).

gyro
Hi gyro, Where could I find this sfs?. Want to try it.

Wosh

Anjuta 2.4.2 seems to run without problems in Puppy 4.3

#65 Post by Wosh »

@ clarf and others interested in the Anjuta-IDE

As you have read in this thread some times ago I had created an anjuta-2.4.2-sfs-file for Puppy-Linux 4.0. I was not able to share it with you because some libraries it uses, were newer than those in Puppy-Linux 4.0/4.1. So I did a hack in the init-script of initrd.gz and in the boot manager that allows to load sfs-files after pupXXX.sfs. It overwrites older library versions with the updated versions within these sfs-files. I have not been able to make this hack fool proof and so I ceased from publishing the anjuta-2.4.2-sfs file.

With Puppy Linux 4.3 all libraries relevant for Anjuta 2.4.2 seem to be up to date. After conversion of the anjuta-2.4.2-sfs-file for Puppy-Linux 4.0 to the new sfs-4 format in Puppy-Linux 4.3 it seems to run without problems.

The sfs-file for Puppy Linux 4.3 can be downloaded from:

ftp://ftp.servage.net/anjuta-2.4.2/anju ... 2-p430.sfs
user: puppy
password: puppylinux

As a goodie the anjuta-2.4.2-sfs-file contains the stand alone ddd Data-Display-Debugger.

Please report your experiences.
Wosh

clarf

#66 Post by clarf »

Many, many thanks Wosh. Your efforts are really appreciated.

After a initial very short test with anjuta-2.4.2-p430.sfs , I found some little problems.

1. In first run it always shows a window error about Valgring Plugin, attached screen capture: Anjuta_error_1.jpg.

2. After I create a project there are some errors in message window, attached screen capture: Anjuta_error_2.jpg

3. Sometimes When I use some menu options Anjuta close without errors.

Seems a problem with some libraries not found. I hope you can check it Wosh.

Greetings,

clarf
Attachments
Anjuta_error_2.jpg
Message errors after project creation
(130.25 KiB) Downloaded 1635 times
Anjuta_error_1.jpg
Error at first run
(146.59 KiB) Downloaded 1583 times

Wosh

Anjuta only works if devx430.sfs is loaded

#67 Post by Wosh »

@ clarf

It seems that you have not loaded devx430.sfs which contains make, automake, gdb, gcc, strip and other development tools needed by the IDE.

On my rather pristine Puppy 4.30 I succeeded to compile a mini test project and to debug it.. I also succeeded in plugging-in Valgrind.

But there might arise a problem with some older libraries that I used when I compiled Anjuta, that now are outdated in Puppy 4.30. The best thing would be to recompile the whole packages. It takes about 4 hours and a lot of diligence. After loading anjuta-2.4.2-p430.sfs the description how to proceed is found in:

/usr/share/doc/anjuta/BuildPuppy400Anjuta-2.4.2.html

At the moment I am to busy to do it myself, but I will support people that try to recompile it. The first thing that should be done is to check whether some packages used there have made it into Puppy 4.30 because they of course must not be recompiled. The rest is to do the tedious work.
Wosh

clarf

#68 Post by clarf »

Excuse me Wosh, that's my fault :oops: .

As I said it was a very short test :lol: , didn't notice that devx was not loaded. Well, no errors now, and finally I can start to learn C/C++ and GTK+ in Linux.

Thank you again Wosh.

gyro

Re: codeblocks 8.02 + wxWidgets 2.8.10

#69 Post by gyro »

clarf wrote:Hi gyro, Where could I find this sfs?. Want to try it.
Sorry for taking so long to respond.
Right now "wx_cb.sfs" only exists on my computer.
I just tried to upload it to my personal web space, but it wouldn't go. (It's not a small file, about 38MB).
If you still want it, I'll try to find a large file public server to upload it to.

Note: The current "wx_cb.sfs" is compiled on Puppy 4.1.2, since that's still my main puppy. I'm currently upgrading to 4.3 and will recompile it there, when I get there.

gyro

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#70 Post by Lobster »

the program runs
but if I click on new or try to build a glade interface
I get:

# anjuta
Segmentation fault
# anjuta

(anjuta:12556): GladeUI-WARNING **: No icon named 'widget-gtk-scalebutton' was found for widget class 'GtkScaleButton'.
GladeUI-Message: No displayable values for property GtkScaleButton::orientation

(anjuta:12556): GladeUI-WARNING **: No icon named 'widget-gtk-volumebutton' was found for widget class 'GtkVolumeButton'.
GladeUI-Message: No displayable values for property GtkComboBox::button-sensitivity

(anjuta:12556): GladeUI-WARNING **: No icon named 'widget-anjuta-vcsstatus' was found for widget class 'AnjutaVcsStatusTreeView'.

(anjuta:12556): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2267: signal `resource-updated' is invalid for instance `0x8d7ff10'
Segmentation fault
# anjuta
hope someone can help as the program looks good . . . :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#71 Post by Lobster »

tronkel wrote:You should have a look at C++ programming using FLTK.
Sounds good
It includes a GUI builder called Fluid and operates seamlessly with c/c++ and the STL libraries. It is small and fast as well. Ideal for use in Puppy.
Sounds very good
I once made a dotpet of this.
http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/Programming/
Hooray it works
You'll certainly need some help to get started, but it's not difficult at all.
I need Help
Google for "ercol" and see what comes up
well it seems to be erco and those are DOS demos . . .
HELP!

#include <FL/Fl.H>
#include <FL/Fl_Window.H>
#include <FL/Fl_Button.H>
are those for Windows programming?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

muggins

#72 Post by muggins »

erco

Lob,

I think fltk is cross-platform...remember John Murga's murgalua, which runs on linux, windows & mac, is fltk-based.

gyro

codeblocks 8.0.2 and wxWidgets 2.8.10 available for download

#73 Post by gyro »

I have just uploaded wc_cb.sfs to http://www.filefront.com/14631189/wx_cb.sfs
This contains codeblocks 8.0.2 and wxWidgets 2.8.10.
It was compiled on Puppy 4.1.2.
I suspect it's aimed at an i686, since I didn't specify this.

It's 35.7MB in size.

The sfs file was created on Puppy 4.1.2, so it's not sfs4.

I haven't tested it running codeblocks on Puppy 4.3.0 yet, haven't converted the sfs file to sfs4 yet.

I have used it to write a few programs. I've compiled the same source code on both Puppy 4.1.2 and Windows XP, and both work. ("otherOS" is an example, and it runs also on Puppy 4.3)

gyro

Edit: Converted it to an sfs4 file in 4.3 and successfully compiled and ran the initial wxSmith application using devx_430.sfs + wx_cb-sfs4.sfs.

NOTE: This all done on frugal installs.

Wosh

Libraries obsolete

#74 Post by Wosh »

@ Lobster
the program runs
but if I click on new or try to build a glade interface
I get:
If you write about the anjuta-sfs file, the errors seem to be due to some obsolete libraries. To fix the problem the whole sfs-file must be recompiled using the puppy-4.30 libraries. Instructions are found in my previous post.
Wosh

alejol

Please make the download available via HTTP

#75 Post by alejol »

Hi Wosh!
I think that is fabulous your post of a C++ IDE. But,
I have FTP blocked by my administrator.
Can anyone make available the Anjuta IDE .SFS via HTTP?
I think that HTTP is by far more usable for all people than FTP.
Thanks!!!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#76 Post by BarryK »

I have uploaded Wosh's Anjuta SFS to ibiblio.org, available via ftp and http. See my blog announcement:

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=01110

Note, it may not have rippled through to the mirrors yet.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#77 Post by Lobster »

I haven't tested it running codeblocks on Puppy 4.3.0

It seems to be running fine on 4.3 :)
. . . and now to learn programming
. . . back to the steep climb
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

enhu

Re: Anjuta 2.4.2 seems to run without problems in Puppy 4.3

#78 Post by enhu »

Wosh wrote:@ clarf and others interested in the Anjuta-IDE

As you have read in this thread some times ago I had created an anjuta-2.4.2-sfs-file for Puppy-Linux 4.0. I was not able to share it with you because some libraries it uses, were newer than those in Puppy-Linux 4.0/4.1. So I did a hack in the init-script of initrd.gz and in the boot manager that allows to load sfs-files after pupXXX.sfs. It overwrites older library versions with the updated versions within these sfs-files. I have not been able to make this hack fool proof and so I ceased from publishing the anjuta-2.4.2-sfs file.

With Puppy Linux 4.3 all libraries relevant for Anjuta 2.4.2 seem to be up to date. After conversion of the anjuta-2.4.2-sfs-file for Puppy-Linux 4.0 to the new sfs-4 format in Puppy-Linux 4.3 it seems to run without problems.

The sfs-file for Puppy Linux 4.3 can be downloaded from:

ftp://ftp.servage.net/anjuta-2.4.2/anju ... 2-p430.sfs
user: puppy
password: puppylinux

As a goodie the anjuta-2.4.2-sfs-file contains the stand alone ddd Data-Display-Debugger.

Please report your experiences.
will this work in lucid puppy?