How to use Samsung ML-1660 printer?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
smokey01

How to use Samsung ML-1660 printer?

#1 Post by smokey01 »

This is quite a nice cheap laser printer with reasonable cost of consumables.

I actually did some research before I bought it as I wanted to make sure it came with linux drivers.

The CD that was in the box was blank, not a lot of use.

I had already downloaded the PPD file so I was confident I could get it working.

Anyway the printer arrived today. I used CUPS and added the PPD file and it didn't work. I was quite disappointed as this time I was prepared and it still didn't work.

I do think the problem may be with cups though. Each time I try to print the test page it stops the printer and I have to delete the job.

If I click on the printer job that has been stopped it comes up with a connection problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Please!

See attached.
Attachments
print1.jpg
(49.85 KiB) Downloaded 6268 times
print2.jpg
(28.44 KiB) Downloaded 6239 times

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Many Samsung printers are covered by the Splix driver from here.. Get item #8.

However, the ML-1660 is not listed.

Where did you get the PPD file?

If Splix doesn't work, I have a PET made from the official Samsung drivers.

rcrsn51

Re: How to use Samsung ML-1660 printer?

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

smokey01 wrote:Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Please!
So what happened with your printer?

smokey01

Re: How to use Samsung ML-1660 printer?

#4 Post by smokey01 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
smokey01 wrote:Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Please!
So what happened with your printer?
Hi rcrsn51, Thanks for your reply.

I downloaded the printer driver from the Samsung web site. Firstly I just installed the ML-1660spl.ppd manually into CUPS. CUPS actually recognised the correct Samsung model that was connected to the PC running lupu-500.

When I did a Print Test Page, nothing happened. I then checked the jobs and noticed the printer had been stopped. After a lot of head scratching I noticed that The unified driver that I downloaded from Samsung had an installation file called autorun, so I clicked on it. It all looked very promising until I got to the part where I had to select the driver but none were displayed. The .ppd file was in the package as that's where I had extracted a copy of it earlier.

Next time I ran CUPS all I got was Internal Server Error 500. Now CUPS won't run at all. I actually like CUPS but now and then it can really give me the s&%s when it does things like this.

Now I'm not sure why this error occurred and how to fix it. I am considering reinstalling CUPS over the existing broken one but I have read sometimes that doesn't work.

The other thing I was thinking of trying was to place the ML-1660spl.ppd file in the correct area of the cups file structure. Previously I just placed in in the /root/ directory when testing it manually.

I did consider the Splix package but I also noticed my printer model wasn't there. I did try another couple of models from the CUPS package like 1650 & 1651 as some times you can get lucky, but they didn't work either.

I would be very interested to try your pet package if it includes the correct driver and I can repair CUPS.

I have tried this neat little printer under windows and it works very well. Very good value for money at $98 and only $75 for toner cartridges which will print 1500 pages, much better that most of the inkjets I have used in the past.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Grant

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

It's not enough to just install the PPD file. You also need the filter program that is included in the Samsung Unified Driver package that you have.

If you need to reinstall CUPS, read here. and get CUPS 1.3.11.

I have attached my Samsung driver PET below. It contains the key components from the Unified Driver and may work for you.

[Edit] Several users have reported that this PET did not install their printer, but they were successful using the official Samsung Unified Driver. However, running the official package in Lupu KILLS CUPS! It may work better in Wary/Quirky with CUPS 1.3.11, or it may work in Lupu after a CUPS downgrade. Buyer beware.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 04 Apr 2011, 16:39, edited 4 times in total.

Patriot

#6 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...

My apologies for crashing in smokey01 ... Your CUPS web interface indicates v1.4.x ... could you verify the CUPS version in use please? ... I also would suggest using cups-1.3.11 for a more stable usb backend for the time being. If you intend to try the splix-2.0 driver set, try out the ML-1640. The ML-16xx series uses (more or less) the same ppd internal descriptions.

Rgds

smokey01

#7 Post by smokey01 »

rcrsn51 wrote:It's not enough to just install the PPD file. You also need the filter program that is included in the Samsung Unified Driver package that you have. Unfortunately, its auto-installer script isn't designed for Puppy and it sounds like it has somehow damaged CUPS.

If you need to reinstall CUPS, I would recommend the 1.3.11 version from here. Just install items 1,2 and 5.

I have attached my Samsung driver PET below. It contains the key components from the Unified Driver and may work for you.
rcrsn51 I installed Patriot pets 1,2 and 5 as suggested. Then I installed your Samsung pet. CUPS is working perfect and so is the Samsung ML-1660 printer. Thanks so much.

Patriot it was not your CUPS packages that crashed anything, it was in fact the Samsung installation program that I used to install the the driver. By installing 1.3.11 over the top of cups-1.4.3, I think that was the version, has now fixed the problem. I just need to add my other printer which is a HP Photosmart C3180.

I have already installed the PDF printer and it works fine.

Thanks guys

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

The hpijs-3.10.2-dynppd.pet from here has a driver for the Photosmart c3100 series that should work with your printer.

Regarding your problem with CUPS 1.4 after installing the Samsung unified driver package: This once again confirms my opinion about the flakiness of this new CUPS release.

smokey01

#9 Post by smokey01 »

rcrsn51 wrote:The hpijs-3.10.2-dynppd.pet from here has a driver for the Photosmart c3100 series that should work with your printer.

Regarding your problem with CUPS 1.4 after installing the Samsung unified driver package: This once again confirms my opinion about the flakiness of this new CUPS release.
Thanks.

In the past I have used just the ppd file to get my HP3180 working. I'm not sure if it was dragging info from somewhere else though.

I wasn't having any problem with the 1.4 series until I broke it. I'm a great believer in the term "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I just need to swap some cables around now as I only have one for my printer. The Samsung never came with a USB cable. I guess for the price I shouldn't complain.

I did have hpliplite-3.9.8-mu-p4 and libnetsnmp-15-mu-p4 installed. I guess they are still installed so my hpC3180 and built in scanner should still work.

Thanks again.

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

In the past I have used just the ppd file to get my HP3180 working. I'm not sure if it was dragging info from somewhere else though.
It's a popular misconception that a PPD file acts as a complete printer driver. It is simply a configuration file that sets up the actual driver.

The only time that a PPD file will work on its own is when it uses one of the basic built-in Ghostscript drivers that come with Puppy.

bc272

On the samsung_unified-2.5.3.pet driver

#11 Post by bc272 »

Maybe something helpful here, new to puppy. I got my samsung clp-600n to print using puppy 4.3.1 which I believe is using the samsung_unified-2.5.3.pet driver. Printer installed says using SPL-C driver and pretty sure it is from that pet file (maddening study over several days)--only pet file other than foo2 (whatever) I found in pet format. This last install of printer I type description as Samsung Clp-600, location as #1 usb clp-600 (which I got from description when looking in drop down for driver). Those three things might ascribe to success as in studying this never saw what to put specifically for description and location. Had installed the foo2 driver before, still shows there and recommends, but it never worked, this time chose samsung clp-600 (SPL-C) next to it. Prints, printer came to life, unbelievable, color ok, little light, not complaining. Thanks very much for that pet file.

smokey01

#12 Post by smokey01 »

princealway wrote:The ML-1660 Print Screen button - located on the control panel of the printer - you can print the contents of your screen, quick and easy, even when you're away from your desk. Just One Touch is all it takes. A quick key prints the entire screen, as you see on your monitor. Hold the button for more than two seconds and the ML-1660 prints the last object you selected in your monitor
What version of Puppy Linux are you using to achieve this?

novax

#13 Post by novax »

Hello

I got the same difficulties, with a Samsung ML-1710P printer, using Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Quickset Edition.
I downloaded and installed CUPS 1.3.11 (from the link posted by rcrsn51 in his third post), and the Samsung driver (from the Samsung's web page for non-US products): all works fine.

Thanks