Puppy Linux with Knoppix hardware detection?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Mathiasdm

Puppy Linux with Knoppix hardware detection?

#1 Post by Mathiasdm »

I've read several posts in the Gentoo forum about using the Knoppix hardware detections (and this wiki post; press Ctrl+F and type hwdata-knoppix).

I was wondering if it would be possible to put the Knoppix hardware detection in Puppy Linux.
It's just a suggestion of course (and I fear it might slow down boot times A LOT).

papaschtroumpf

#2 Post by papaschtroumpf »

As someone that is looking to use puppy solely as a "traveller's linux" on a USB key and intend to use it on a wide variety of platforms, this cound slike a good idea.

knoppix and Mepis are the two liveCDs that seem to work on just about anything.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

It is not possible as Puppy is developed in a different way.
Packages have to be compiled specifically for Puppy.

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/development/compileapps.htm

Knoppix and knoppix derivatives do have better hardware recognition, that is likely to remain. Puppy is also recognising more and more.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Mathiasdm

#4 Post by Mathiasdm »

Well, I just figured, since it can be installed on gentoo (a from-source distro), it could be put on puppy too.
Guess I'm wrong ;-)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Well, it's theoretically possible.
I think the Knoppix boot detection is just scripts, so they could be adapted to suit Puppy.

Mathiasdm

#6 Post by Mathiasdm »

It would be great if someone could do this :)
*looks around*

Sorry, but I'm not up to the job (maybe in about a year from now), I don't really know any scripting :(

#7 Post by Guest »

one reason Puppy lags behind, say, Damn Small Linux, in hardware auto detection, was due to the fact that Puppy includes much fewer driver modules to spare disk space for applications. (Puppy does not have BusLogic SCSI controller, used in VMWare for harddrives, I had to use IDE, instead of recommended SCSI).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Anonymous wrote:<> (Puppy does not have BusLogic SCSI controller, used in VMWare for harddrives, I had to use IDE, instead of recommended SCSI).
Just out of curiosity, is there any noticeable difference in performance?

#9 Post by Guest »

no way to tell for certain

personally, I don't think so. either you use IDE or SCSI for VM, they are just files on host machine.

I just used this to make my point :>
Flash wrote:
Anonymous wrote:<> (Puppy does not have BusLogic SCSI controller, used in VMWare for harddrives, I had to use IDE, instead of recommended SCSI).
Just out of curiosity, is there any noticeable difference in performance?

pakt

#10 Post by pakt »

BarryK wrote:Well, it's theoretically possible.
I think the Knoppix boot detection is just scripts, so they could be adapted to suit Puppy.
This is an extract from a post I wrote in this thread http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1653 regarding using Kanotix hardware detection in Puppy 1.0.4:
pakt wrote: I did get everything working using a Kanotix generated XF86Config. That gave me an idea. I've been examining the Kanotix hardware detection files (actually slightly modified Knoppix files). These consist of a couple of binaries, a lib file, some scripts, an XF86Config template and a hw database. Altogether adding up to under 1MB.

I copied the files over to Puppy and found that the binaries work. I've almost managed to auto-generate a complete XF86Config that works using the scripts. Just need to figure out how the keyboard/mouse probe works. Some directories are different and the scripts need to be modified for that. The probe has no problem finding the i810 hw and putting it in XF86Config.
The files were extracted from kanotix 2005-01. I've packed the relevant files and include them as an attachment for anyone that would like to study them. The scripts are quite large but well commented.

Perhaps BarryK or someone else good with scripts could adapt them for Puppy?

rarsa

#11 Post by rarsa »

patk,

I think you sent the wrong file. The file you sent only includes a couple of binaries and the devices databases.

The only script included is the one to configure the xfree86.

could you post the actual scripts?

The binary actually identifies my HW, that's a step. I'll check the Knoppix rc.init scripts

pakt

#12 Post by pakt »

rarsa wrote:pakt,

I think you sent the wrong file. The file you sent only includes a couple of binaries and the devices databases.

The only script included is the one to configure the xfree86.

could you post the actual scripts?

The binary actually identifies my HW, that's a step. I'll check the Knoppix rc.init scripts
Thanks, rarsa, for the feedback. I will correct the mistake and use the opportunity to post more up-to-date files I've found.

Stay tuned :)

UPDATE 12 Oct 05: Replaced Kanotix 2005-03 hw detection files with latest Knoppix 4.0.2 hw detection files.
Last edited by pakt on Wed 12 Oct 2005, 06:49, edited 3 times in total.

pakt

#13 Post by pakt »

Deleted - post got sent three times!
Last edited by pakt on Sat 08 Oct 2005, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.

pakt

#14 Post by pakt »

Deleted - post got sent three times!